How to Make Your Own Vanilla Extract

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
Adrienne, I've looked at it before, but I've never made it. Let us know how it turns out if you make it!

happy2bme

Premiere Member
Oct 18, 2007
My Happy Place
I have the ingredients and plan on getting it started this weekend.

Going to make some for Christmas gifts.

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
HouseElf got me started making my own vanilla extract. I just slit the beans and poke them into the vodka. Wait awhile and there is vanilla extract. When it get almost empty I pour the extract into a smaller bottle and refill the vodka bottle. The beans can make more than one batch. Every year I add a few new beans.

Sugarplum

MHH Member
Jan 4, 2013
Florida
I saw this on Lana's blog a couple of years ago and started it in August of that year. I ordered the vanilla beans from an online website and got the big bottle of cheap vodka. I ended up buying little brown jars and made labels and gave the homemade vanilla as Christmas gifts. I still have the vanilla, and you can keep adding to it vodka and vanilla when you get low. So easy and fun to do and it works great. I'll never buy the expensive stuff in the store anymore!

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
I have been making my own vanilla extract for the past year. I think the flavor is so much better then the ones bought at the store.

I use regular vodka and a bunch of good vanilla beans. I split the beans open and scrap out some of the center into the vodka as well. I have a new half gallon jug going now, it should be ready in another month and I just started another smaller batch (quart) size and did half vodka and half brandy which should be ready by Dec. I leave mine sit in dark cool place and give the bottles a good shake every couple days.

I still have some left from my last batch, once that is done I will take the vanill beans out and let them air out for a little and then place them in a jar and pour sugar over top. Shake every couple days and in a few weeks you will vanill suagr. Great to use in pancake batter, cookies, coffee, etc for an added vanilla flavor.

happy2bme

Premiere Member
Oct 18, 2007
My Happy Place
I got my first jar started this evening. I ran out of vodka, so will pick some up tomorrow, so I can start a second jar.

DD can't wait to try it.

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
One can almost smell all that vanilla in the air.

maurice.cowell

Retire Member
Mar 10, 2013
Australia
hcconvey.com.au
We make use a lot of vanilla extract on holidays. I think making our own vanilla extract will save us some money. Thanks for the link. I want to try it soon since we have most of the ingredients already.