Ideas for St-Patrick's day 2013

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada

jinglemom

Retire Member
Oct 16, 2007
i really should figure out something to do. i never do anything for this holiday and i'm Irish :(

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
I have a 'Lucky Dog' and shamrock collar on Boots, does that count? Nothing in the house.

wijulie

Retire Member
Jan 5, 2008
SE Wisconsin
I was just about to say I don't have anything for St. Pat's, but I just remembered...I used to collect gnome figurines by Tom Clark and I think I may have one named Colleen! She's a cute little Irish lass dressed all in green with a shamrock on her skirt. Must dig through the basement and find her. Thanks for reminding me!

teachermomof2

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Oct 27, 2007
PA
I have the shamrocks on the doors and the flags flying, but otherwise I don't get too carried away with st. patty's day.

Cindylouwho

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
I used to skip St. Patricks Day til I had kids. Then I went back to my roots.

Night Before: Set Leprauchan trap made out of a small cardboard box and decorated. The little bugger always escapes but he leaves a complete scattering of gold covered chocolate in his wake.

Green beads ($1 at Target) to wear during the day.

Green somewhere on the kids so they don't get pinched at school. (Since DS wont' wear beads)

McDonalds after school to go get a Shamrock Shake. (My mom took me every year since I was about 5 back in the 70s)

Corned Beef Tips in the Slow Cooker for Dinner. The tips are way yummier than the regular corned beef cut methinks. We skip the cabbage as I am not a big cabbage fan.

This year we will be out of town for the day (and back at night) and we have a GPS treasure hunt planned as part of the excursion.

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Cindylouwho, loved reading about your preps.
The kids get pinched if they don't wear green? 1st time I've heard this :)
Our McD's doesn't have green Shamrock shake.. which is just sad.

A GPS treasure hung sure sounds like alot of fun!

FrostyShimmer

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
Cindylouwho - You sure do get into St. Patrick's Day!

I don't usually do much, and my blood is more Irish than anything else. I used to get a t-shirt every year that said something like "Kiss Me I'm Irish" but haven't had anything like that in years.

I DO make shamrock-shaped sugar cookies and glaze them with green icing. That's about it. I imagine I'll get more creative as the kids are at the age to enjoy it.

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
I'm hoping to find something to make corned beef. I know most is made from the brisket but I think it's rather fatty. Years ago I could find a corned beef sirloin. Very good with no fat at all. I think I'll look for a roast I can use. I'm allergic to papaya and all the ready made corned beef seem to be tenderized with it. So home made it will be. Not sure if it really needs the saltpeter since I do not have any.

http://tips.pch.com/cooking/how-to-make-delicious-corned-beef

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
I love the idea of going to get shamrock shakes every year on St. Patricks day. Might just have to be a new tradition around here too!!

dinner will happen as usual here. I need to finalize what I'm making though. I think I want to try something different, but not sure yet.

I'm covered in the green shirt area. Last year I wasn't. I found a super cool Minnie shirt for my daughter at Target, I'm excited to get her picture in that.

I've pulled out the jewelry this week. My BF made me a great new Green bracelet with crystals. It's very, very pretty!

Normally we take flowers to the cemetery, but this year I'm going to put up some little Irish flags I got at the dollar store. That way I can stick them in the ground and they can stay up a bit longer.

I think I got the gifts covered. I was at the thrift store a few months ago and in one trip, I found 3 gifts. Kinda weird actually. But I found an Irish dressed owl..which my daughter is so into owls right now, I found a great Irish book for her too and an Irish bear for my niece. My cards are all addressed and will go out as soon as I have stamps. Going to the dollar store for these is a good idea. .50 cents a piece doesn't break the bank and I can send them to all my nieces and nephews.