It's official

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

tanya

Premiere Member
Jan 8, 2012
I officially started my Christmas stock the pantry today.

Im not a talented chutney/ jam maker like some of you gals are so I buy mine. I get the good gourmet stuff.

I always have it here and needed some today. It was on sale 2 for 1. Not actually needing 2 I checked the use by date and its good through July 2017.

So I picked up a couple of extra jars to start the pantry stock up for Christmas. I have a special section in my pantry and it was looking empty. Its only a couple of jars but now Ive started I will try to pick up something every time I go to the shops- I try to avoid a big shop in January and just get the fresh things as they run low.

Reactions: Minta

angelpugs

MHH Member
Oct 2, 2009
north adams ma.
I'm doing the same here getting everything for baking needs and making my own confections which i'm stocking on karo syrup,sugars,food colorings,decorative candies,sticks for the pops all that good stuff.Also been getting cans of pumpkin which have been priced just right so i'm stocking on that and frozen cranberries their for baking,i get the fresh cranberries for other things,also restocking on things like cinnamon,nutmeg,cloves all those good spices.:santa2:

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
You guys are reading my mind! My trip to the grocery stores last week saw me pick up the first few items from my Non Perishable part of the Master Holiday Grocery list!

I think I got dark brown sugar, beef stock, jarred bean sprouts and a few other things. I also got a bottle of champagne. I need four bottles for Christmas Dinner party punch alone and then another couple to go in Christmas Breakfast gift baskets. So I'm going to pick them up one at a time over the next several weeks to spread out the cost!

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
I picked 5 - 5lb bags of flour last week. They were on sale for $1.49. I have them in the freezer for now until I get more jars to store them in. Those will get me through my fall baking.

I starting stocking up on disposable baking pans - some for freezer cooking, and some will be used for baked good gifts. I plan on pickup up some each pay along with foil and parchment papers.

Later this week we will picking peaches, some to eat but the rest to make and can diced peaches and peach jam. Some of those will be used as gifts.

aggy

Santa's Elves
Oct 11, 2007
Baltimore, Maryland
That's awesome Tanya. I need to get started with getting my supplies together too. I've tried some new desserts this year and there are several I want to add to list of goodies that I make every year.

Minta I didn't know you could freeze flour. Too bad I don't have a deep freezer. My fridge freezer can only hold but so much. Good idea on the pans too. I need to grab some cookie sheets from Dollar Tree. They get really scarce around Thanksgiving. I like them because they hold more cookies than my regular size cookie sheets.

Ahorsesoul I did that while I was on vacation. I made a list in my pocket notebook that I need to add to my master shopping list. Question? I purchased some meringue powder about three years ago that I never used/opened. Do you think it's still good? I bought it for a recipe I wanted to try but never got around to making it and it is one of the new desserts I want to do this year.

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
Minta I didn't know you could freeze flour. Too bad I don't have a deep freezer. My fridge freezer can only hold but so much. Good idea on the pans too. I need to grab some cookie sheets from Dollar Tree. They get really scarce around Thanksgiving. I like them because they hold more cookies than my regular size cookie sheets.

I always place my flour in the freezer for at least 48 hours to kill any eggs that may have gotten into it from the milling processes. Since doing that I have not had any bugs appear in my flour :)

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
I've continued to buy a handful of items each week from my non-perishable master grocery list!

I now have all the bottles of Champagne I'll need for the punch for our Christmas party - that's a big one!

I'm also all set - other than a few things - for my first fill the freezer session on 9/1! It's starting to come together!

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
Question - freezing flour

I've tried putting flour in the freezer several times. My flour seems to absorb the flavors from the freezer (bell pepper, Popsicle, etc). Any one else have that problem?

Lana

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Southern Illinois
I will start picking up chocolate chips and items here and there too. We always go one big time for the baking/candy stuff and it is easily over $200 plus. Every year I say I will do this and I don't!

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
I haven't thought about it, but I guess subconsciously I've been doing a freezer purge to make room for winter freezer cooking prep. It's literally almost empty, which opens room for meal prep done early. I haven't checked on my baking supplies, but I will start doing that.

tanya

Premiere Member
Jan 8, 2012
Added more to my stash today. That empty section of my pantry is not looking so empty now. Little by little its happening.

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
I've never noticed that, missjane - but you could try slipping the bag of flour (or 2) into a 2 gallon size ziplock bag before putting in the freezer - that should take care of it I think :)

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
I picked up a 72 oz bag of semi sweet chocolate chips from Sams today for holiday baking! :)

The last couple trips to Sams I've grabbed their 2lb bags of pecans - I have two bags in the freezer now and I will pick up one more to be safe! Making kieflees alone uses 3 lbs!

tanya

Premiere Member
Jan 8, 2012
My stash continues to grow nicely- week by week.

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
Picked up 3 rolls of parchment paper and 4 rolls of foil. My homemade vanilla extract is almost ready too.

Getting apples this week to make apple butter which will be used for the holidays and as gifts.

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
You just reminded Minta, I need parchment paper too and saw some in Dollar Tree. Will go there on my lunch break.

I get my parchment paper from the Dollar Tree too. Works just as good as the expensive name brand.

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
I do the same! Parchment paper, wax paper, aluminum foil and foil pans for baking are all items I like to get at the Dollar Store!