January Decluttering

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
It is a brand new year.
Does anyone else have the itch to declutter in a big way?

I culled one bag of Christmas decorations yesterday as I was pulling down the tree. Hoping to do a whole lot more throughout January.

Lana

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Southern Illinois
I am in the mood to go thru EVERYTHING in the house---of course not in January!

Since Allen only works tom. and then is retired--I know he is itching to move stuff out too. Hoping to work in the kitchen. Stove should be in at Lowes but haven't gotten a call. Hoping the counters will get put in soon and we need to do the backsplash. Need to wash all cabinets down, redo shelving in pantry, finish the floor out in pantry, trim around window and lights under cabinets. Plus really go thru and items we don't use---out with them. Get my island put in there. A portable one.

That is my January plan--at least start on it!

Plus make the curtain valance for the window.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
WOW Lana, that is quite a list.

I am going to start in the dining room today as it is still empty after pulling down Christmas. There is not too much in that room so I should get it done pretty quickly.

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
I decluttered a few small Christmas things but I have seen lots of areas that need decluttering for 2016! and I WILL do it! I love it that there is so much less to clean up with stuff gone.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Lucie, I think that anything out the door is an improvement. Little steps and we will get it done.

tanya

Premiere Member
Jan 8, 2012
I just got rid of a pile of old magazines today. They had been there for 2 years waiting for me to go back and pull them out to flick through again.
I figured after 2 years that if I hadn't looked at them- I didnt need them!

happy2bme

Premiere Member
Oct 18, 2007
My Happy Place
Oh Tanya,

Two years!! Yes, it is time for them to go!!!

I have a few Christmas magazines to go through and then they will be gone.

This might sound crazy, but we are decluttering the storage unit. In the front corner is a pile of stuff that we know we won't have room for or don't want once the house is complete. J works with a guy that has just bought his first house and he and his family might want some of the items. If they decide they don't want them, then we will be taking it all to the thrift store by the end of the week.

K went through some clothes and has a bag of stuff that will get taken to the thrift store as well.

What a great start to the year!!

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
I've started going through things in my closet. I'm tired of a closet full of clothes I hate wearing. Also going to do my dresser. Same thing...anything I don't like...out it's going.

tanya

Premiere Member
Jan 8, 2012
I must have got a bout of the declutter bug!
After getting rid of the magazines I went through the mini study that is set up for DS to do homework/ school stuff at. I keep separate stationery and scissors/ glue etc there so he can just sit and get on with it rather than go back and fro for what he needs.Also stops him using my stuff (I don't share stationery well) It got really messy toward the end of the year- now its easy to find items. He had pencils in there that were so used they were no bigger than my fingernail! We then moved to his DS games- found some he longer wants so have organised to give them to one of the local kids that does not have many games. Tomorrow I am hoping to finish up in the family room. Just putting stuff back where it needs to be! Cleaner will be here so she can give it a really thorough clean!

I really noticed it after Christmas that I skipped out on lots of organizing bits that usually get done before Christmas- we generally get rid of the old before bringing in the new at Christmas- this year it did not happen and it was noticeable.

KimD

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
CNY
Last night I did burn the rest of the boxes from Christmas presents at least I hope it was the last of them. I also started digging my room out last night going thru everything and reorganizing it I am hoping to get it done today so that I can start on the two kids rooms well they have been working on it too they have gone thru their clothes now I just need to go thru what they got rid of and separate for garage sale site and salvation army so that stuff can go today

happy2bme

Premiere Member
Oct 18, 2007
My Happy Place
Tanya,

You make me laugh!!!

I don't like to share stationery either. I make sure everyone has enough of their own supplies, so they stay out of mine!!

housewife2

Premiere Member
Aug 3, 2008
va
im going thur my closet today and get rid of clothes I don't wear anymore. made a small bag of Christmas items that I don't use anymore

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
We recently moved into our house and the shed and garage are still full of boxes that we haven't touched yet. This spring we plan on going through them and I am sure at least half if not more will find its way into the yard sale pile, donation pile or trash pile.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Tomorrow I will work in my spare room. I used it over Christmas as a wrapping and storage room, so as I am tidying up I will also declutter. It will then be ready for any guests that might need a room.

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Had to do some paperwork today, so I threw out some old papers while doing that

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
Papers too

I've been sorting some old medication paperwork from DD. I'm making a list of all the meds I can find along with dates and doctors names into Excel. I was shredding the old papers once I was done with them but then starting putting them in a box to shred later. The box is now full.

angelpugs

MHH Member
Oct 2, 2009
north adams ma.
I went through my house as well with the holidays and company i needed to get to it,i sorted through closets,redid my pantry as things were a bit of a mess so i scrubbed it out and reorganized.Did my shaker cabinet as i keep my bake pans in the bottom and it was a mess so they are now put back right and scrubbed my cupboards out and of course the fridge.I don't throw away much as i repurpose things just have to stop and think on it and it's repurposed and if i don't want something my neighbor will take it and repurpose it for her home.It's a frigid one here below zero so got the woodstove going so i'll check out some ideas online,hope you have a good day.:snowman:

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
I have cleaned both freezers. I have a trash can of items to toss.

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
I have decluttered the 'candle' armoire... giving away 5 votive candle holders and some candle decorations.

aggy

Santa's Elves
Oct 11, 2007
Baltimore, Maryland
I finally took the main tree apart and packed it away today. The decorations had been removed over the weekend so not sure why I still had the tree sitting there. Also took down the wrapping paper on the front door and put away all of my Christmas movies :( . Now all of my Christmas decor is packed and put away. Since I was by the front door I decided to clean out and organized my coat closet.

I want to start on my bedroom next. Maybe this upcoming weekend.