Labor Day Weekend - Official End of Summer

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Sugarplum

MHH Member
Jan 4, 2013
Florida
Well, not here in Florida, but I do put away my Americana decor and pull out my fall decor.

I usually make a special meal for Monday, last year I did pulled pork with salads and sides. This year rib eye steaks are on sale so I think I will get those to go on the grill. August was very hot and too rainy to grill so I'm hoping it will be nice this weekend.

Back in NJ, my DH always commented that it was like they flipped a switch at the Jersey Shore, it got cold almost right away. The kids didn't go back to school until after Labor Day so we really enjoyed summer right up until September. Then we rejoiced that we had our beaches back from the tourists. Down here in Florida it is the opposite and we have the tourist swell in the winter with the snowbirds.

We also get to start our Holiday Plans this weekend. I usually start on the Saturday before since I only get the weekends to really get stuff done (like cleaning). It is too hot outside to work there so I do mix it up a little. I like to do the front flower boxes right before my sisters come in October with fresh fall plants and flowers and Halloween decor.

This weekend is the official start to the best time of the year for me!!

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Yep! end of summer here too. Nothing planned... it's usually a weekend to start the cleaning and get stuff done around the house.

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
I always want to put out fall decor, but my kids think I'm crazy! We'll still have a month of summer temperatures, yet. Mums are at the stores, but it's too hot for them, too. I tried to baby mine from last year to use again. I need to pump them up through September with Miracle Grow.

Anyhow, I love Labor Day Weekend! It's like the gateway to the holidays to me.

ChristmasPir8

Premiere Member
Nov 8, 2008
La La Land
Its the end of summer here also and School starts back up on Tuesday. I always want to pull out fall stuff but I try to wait a little longer. I don't have a lot of fall Holiday specific stuff so since it stays out until Christmas I get tired of it. LOL It can be hot here way into Oct also so I don't do much outside.

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
School starts here on Wednesday. I've had a fall wreath on my front door, fall stuff inside and mums on my porch for 1-2 weeks now. DH was supposed to get my fall stuff down last weekend and didn't and we'll be camping this weekend. But I will have him get it down on Monday when we return.

Lana

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Southern Illinois
Yes, it is considered the last of summer, even tho our temps stay around too.

Will need to get out to the cemetery and change the flowers on my grandparents and inlaws.

angelpugs

MHH Member
Oct 2, 2009
north adams ma.
It's the end of summer and now on to fall which I love and yes then winter getting my home done with my fall décor and a good cleaning before winter as I've got my winter clothes out and most of summer packed already.Have a safe labor day weekend everyone.

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
I love this weekend, too! Our grocery stores have had mums out in front. And.... yesterday.... they added some pumpkins to the display! The pumpkins were not for sale.... they were just a sign... of things to come!!!!!

This year... this Labor Day weekend.... feels like.... a "thoughtful pause"... in the year. That.... I think.... is great! Happy Labor Day Weekend!

HouseElf

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Oct 12, 2007
Ontario, Canada
www.pinterest.com
Back to school on Tuesday, and start of a new schedule for work.

We planted mums this morning, replacing the summer annuals.

I plan on doing some yard work and painting this afternoon after church, putting away some of the extra veggies in the freezer for winter, and taking some time to add some HGP tasks to my day planner.

It is a lovely sunny day here, a great way to welcome in September!

housewife2

Premiere Member
Aug 3, 2008
va
I put out my fall tablecloth and a couple of ceramic pumpkins on the table. even though It will still be hot this month im so ready for fall.

Last edited:

housewife2

Premiere Member
Aug 3, 2008
va
I put out my fall tablecloth and a couple of ceramic pumpkins on the table. even though It will still be hot this month im so ready for fall.

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
I never know what Sept will bring here. It could be 90s or it could bring frost. Best be ready for both. lol I am starting to put out fall items. Today I will change the placemats on the kitchen table to the red ones. They are embossed with leaves but I can use them till after Christmas. I should pull out the fall and Halloween totes to see if I have some other mats in there.

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
DS called when I came in from church. He's grilling tomorrow night. I'll be making twice baked potato casserole and a dessert. Although it won't be the last time we grill, it will signal a change of the seasons for us. One last family get together until later in the football season, which consumes both his and DH's schedule until late November/early December depending on how deep we go into the play-off season.

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Fall weather here today - rain,wind, cold. got some wood for the wood-stove. put dd's bedding in winter since she will be coming only on weekends while she is in school.

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
Oh, Lucie, that makes me jealous! Not a speck of fall here today, except I did notice the Virginia Creeper is turning, but we're at 95F here today and not a drop of rain in sight!

aggy

Santa's Elves
Oct 11, 2007
Baltimore, Maryland
Kids went back to school on the 26th of August. When I was in school we didn't go back til the day after Labor Day. Not sure why they changed the start date.

This weekend was very hot, in the low 90's. They say a cold front should be coming through this afternoon which will drive the temps down and we will begin experiencing a little fall weather. Yippee!!!

I didn't do any celebrating over the weekend. This year Labor Day fell on my Dad's birthday. He would have been 77. I shopped for cleaning supplies Saturday and started house cleaning. I took my mom to brunch Sunday and then Monday we were out and about running errands and washing comforters. It seems every one was at the laundromats yesterday. LOL

I will pull out my fall tote this weekend.