MASTER Freezer Cooking Thread - All Plans!

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Here is another winner we've made, frozen and loved!

Chicken Cordon Bleu

http://tastykitchen.com/blog/2012/07/chicken-cordon-bleu-casserole/

After reading the recipe comments, I did choose to make the following adjustments and the dish was a total success!

- Omitted lemon juice to avoid breaking the sauce (could replace with small amount of lemon zest if desired, but I just skipped it)

- Made sauce in traditional ratios - 2T butter and 2T flour for every cup of milk

- Warmed milk before adding to roux

- Made 1.5 times the sauce

- Was out of Dijon, used regular yellow mustard and it worked great

- Freeze without Panko topping; Although I split the one recipe between two 8x8 pans, I still used full breading amounts on each casserole the day of baking and it was great!

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Here is a new freezer recipe I tried a few weeks ago. We've eaten them reheated in oven at 350 for about 10 minutes or so and they turned out great!

Chicken Alfredo Calzones

https://onceamonthmeals.com/recipes/chicken-alfredo-calzone/

The only thing I would note is that the taste of the fresh basil was a bit strong after freezing - I think next time I will use a small amount of dried instead.

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Okay, girls! You know I love you, because I am going to share one of my closely guarded secrets...my tried and true, often imitated but never duplicated Lasagna recipe!!!!

We call it, THE Lasagna! lol

Also known as "Ultimate cheesy goodness!"

The sauce takes a while to simmer on the stove - but once you have it going it doesn't need more than a quick stir every few minutes. Trust me, your problem will be staying AWAY from the pan because it smells so good. It is SO good I could just stand there and eat the sauce with a spoon. If it wouldn't burn my mouth, that is!

As far as my notes on pepper flavor in the freezer go, I had a batch that stayed in the freezer the full 3 months that baked up SO spicy. I researched it and found out that pepper will increase in strength over time when frozen but this is the only time I've ever run into it.

I think that if I freeze then use this recipe within a month or 2 it would probably not even be a factor.

Has anyone else ever run into this little quirk?

Okay, I've bragged/rambled on this recipe enough, here it is:

Lasagna

1 lb Italian sausage
1 lb ground pork
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp hot pepper flakes (omit or reduce if freezing, pepper gets stronger in freezer over time)
1 Tb fennel seed
2 Tb dried oregano
1 Tb chopped fresh parsley or 1 tsp dried
2 Tb Basil, fresh or 1 Tb dried
1 ½ tsp salt
16 ounces chopped tomatoes
12 ounces tomato paste
16 ounces tomato sauce
16 ounces lasagna noodles
24 ounces ricotta
2 large eggs, beaten
2 tsp salt
½ tsp pepper (I usually reduce by half when freezing)
2 Tb chopped fresh parsley or 1 tsp dried
¾ cup grated Parmesan
1 ½ lb shredded mozzarella

Brown meat slowly, drain. Add garlic and the next 9 ingredients to the meat. Simmer uncovered until it is a rich thick sauce, 45 minutes to 1 hour, stirring occasionally. Cook noodles in salted boiling water until al dente. Drain and rinse in cold water. Combine ricotta cheese with next five ingredients.

Take a 13x9 ½” pan and grease lightly. Layer noodles in pan. Spread ricotta mixture, followed by meat and then mozzarella. Repeat layers and cover with aluminum foil. Bake at 375 degrees for 30-40 minutes until slightly bubbling. Let stand for 10-15 minutes before cutting.

Can be made the night before and baked later. Remove from fridge 30 minutes prior to baking and increase baking time to 1 hour.

Recipe can also easily be doubled and frozen for later use. Do not bake prior to freezing. Remove from freezer 2 days prior to baking and continue as above.

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
Overload lol

Oh my, not only do I now need more freezer dishes and another freezer, I need more meals a day so I can try all these recipes!

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
We call it, THE Lasagna! lol

Also known as "Ultimate cheesy goodness!".

Yes indeed it is the ultimate! We had it for dinner tonight. I have a ton to put in the freezer. It makes a lot! Thank you for sharing!

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Should not be looking at this right now. I have not had lunch and I am a little hungry.........

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Here is another tried and true freezer meal we make often!

Oven Chicken Fajitas

First you make the marinade:

THE BEST Marinade
• 1/4 cup lime juice (or lemon)
• 2 tablespoons olive oil
• 4 cloves garlic, crushed
• 2-4 teaspoons soy sauce
• 1 teaspoon salt
• 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
• ½ tsp cumin
• ½ tsp chili powder

Place roughly 1 lb of raw chicken breast meat, cut into strips - the thinner the better - into a ziplock bag with the marinade and freeze flat.

Defrost bag overnight in the ridge.

To prepare, dump contents of bag into a 9x11 baking dish. Top with thin strips of onion and bell peppers. NOTE: Frozen bell pepper strips work great for this - no thawing required or you can thaw and drain off the water, blot with towels, etc. I usually have fresh onions on hand to use, but frozen onions would also work.

Then pop pan into 400 degree oven for 35-40 minutes, stirring once about half way through.

The meat and veggies will carmelize and give you that flavor and effect you get from restaurant fajitas.

Just have shells and other desired toppings on hand to pull together the meal!

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Another thing I like to do is make a whole batch of stuffed breads for the freezer. In the past I have always purchased the frozen loaves of Rhodes brand French bread loaves.

I thaw them, then stretch them out flat on a cutting board, getting it stretched out into as large of a rectangle as I can without tearing the dough.

Then I fill with one of the mixture options below and roll the whole thing up jelly roll style. I freeze, seam side down, on a cookie sheet lined with wax paper before transferring to a large ziplock bag.

NOTE: I am going to attempt to make my own French Bread from scratch this year and use it instead. I'll let you know how it goes!

Thaw in fridge overnight then set out to rise. I usually boil some water, fill a metal pan with it and place it in a cold oven. I also put in the cookie sheet with the bread on it, turn the oven light on and let it rise. I usually cover the bread with a piece of plastic wrap lightly spritzed with cooking oil and then a tea towel on top of that.

Once it has risen to your liking you can brush it with beaten egg or milk and sprinkle with herbs (Italian seasoning, etc.) and even grated Parmesan.

Bake at 350 until golden brown. Cool a bit before slicing!

Sausage Bread:

1/2 lb cooked, crumbled sausage (pork, Italian, spicy, whatever you prefer)
1/2 lb cooked, crumbled ground beef
NOTE: You may not need all the meat for 1 loaf and can either use for multiples or reserve for another use. Or freeze for later!

Mozzarella Cheese
Italian Seasoning
Garlic Salt

Sprinkle the cooked meats, cheese and spices on bread before rolling up.

Chicken Bacon Ranch Bread:

1 cup cooked, cubed or shredded chicken breast
7-8 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
Mozzarella Cheese
Small amount of ranch dressing

Sprinkle the cooked meats and cheese on the bread. Drizzle with as much ranch as desired before rolling up.

Pepperoni Bread

Pepperoni
Mozzarella (Marinated Mozz balls are great too - adding that in with the regular shredded mozz really kicks it up a notch!)
Pizza Sauce (optional)

Spread bread with pizza sauce if desired. Layer on as much pepperoni and cheese as desired before rolling up.

Ham and Cheese Bread

Ham slices (either lunchmeat or leftover ham from cooking a large one)
Shredded cheese of choice, or slices or cubes

Lay ham and cheese on bread in a couple of layers before rolling up.

UPDATE - After trying to make my own French Bread for these filled breads this year I am going back to using the Rhodes frozen bread loaves next time. My breads just did not rise again after freezing! :( The first one I took out to thaw the night before and by the time I baked it we ended up with something resembling a long, bumpy pancake! The other breads I have taken out in the morning to thaw and bake in the evening with mildly better success. Will have to keep experimenting with this one. Everything was still edible, just not something I would want to repeat!

Last edited:

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Let's talk appetizers!!! This is one of my favorite ways to use the freezer for the holidays! There is nothing better then being able to pull an assortment of yummy appetizers from freezer! Most of them are baked from frozen so no need to remember to thaw!

Really saves on last minute prep when you are entertaining!

Mini Bacon Pinwheels

http://busycooks.about.com/od/appetizerrecipe1/r/bacpinwheel.htm

I have made these several times. I use Ziplock freezer bags and as long as I am reasonably careful I've never had an issue with the toothpicks poking holes in the bag. But you could always double bag to be sure.

PW Holiday Bacon Appetizers

http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2007/12/flashback_1981_-_holiday_bacon_appetizers/

These disappear FAST!

PW Cheddar Puffs

http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2009/12/cheese-puffs/

These are one of my favorites! I always make at least a double batch for freezer this time of year!

Southwest Wontons

http://fabulesslyfrugal.com/fabuless-freezer-cooking-crispy

Will be testing out several new appetizer recipes for the freezer this year! I'll post them once I've vetted them!

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
I'm off to make those Bacon Appetizers. I do think I have everything to make the cheddar Puffs too. So maybe tonights dinner of pasta will change to appetizers!

The Cheese Puffs are done and are excellent. The Bacon Appetizers are in the over. I only had thick bacon so they may need to cook longer or I might need to broil them a little at the end.

Last edited:

CheeryChick

Retire Member
Aug 16, 2011
Michigan

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Ahorsesoul - Glad those appetizers fit the bill for you! I like having them on hand for US - and sometimes we share with guests! lol

CheeryChick - I really do love those meatballs! Although I saw several other meatball recipes on your boards that I've pinned to try! I think pretty much any meatball recipe can be made and flash frozen before or after cooking!

Here are some additional freezer recipes with breakfast in mind:

Funeral Potatoes

http://fabulesslyfrugal.com/fabuless-freezer-cooking-funeral/

DIY Frozen Hashbrowns - The secret is to bake THEN shred the potatoes! :)

http://heavenlyhomemakers.com/make-your-own-frozen-hashbrowns

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
After a huge shopping trip today I had to clean and re-stack the freezer. There will be no more freezer cooking since it is full. For dinner I am fixing some leftovers that would not fit back into the freezer. lol

I will just drool all over the recipes being posted.

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
I am getting close to that point myself! Which is not good because I have a LOT of freezer cooking I still planned to do.

DH bringing home 8 frozen pizzas did not help my cause - LOL!

I am going to put on a pair of gloves and pull it all out and restack/organize and I think I'll gain some space that way.

I also plan to put some of the things I want to use up really soon on the top. The biggest space hog right now is frozen strawberries and blueberries - DH was using the strawberries every morning for a while to make smoothies and then he stopped.

So I need to start using some of the fruit up in recipes and that will help free up some real estate pretty quickly!

Winged One

Retire Member
Sep 2, 2008
Fluttering happily in the clouds!!
I don't know if anyone here likes curries, but they are something we like a lot here. Most I make involve a jar of sauce, or specific bags of spices that are made by an Indian family business locally to us. But this one is pretty generic, and tasty. I usually make double on a Sunday, to eat 1 dinner on Monday night and freeze the other, flavour improves having sat overnight.

Lamb Rogan Josh
700g lamb pieces - stewing slow cooking pieces are good if there is a choice
4 large onions, diced
4 cloves of garlic, diced
About an inch of ginger, diced
4 tablespoons of medium curry powder (I use Schwartz)
1 pint of lamb stock
1 400g tin chopped tomatoes
2 tablespoons of tomato purée
2 tablespoons of lemon juice
4 chopped fresh tomatoes - I usually cut into quarters or eights
1 tablespoon chopped coriander
Pinch sugar
Salt and pepper to season
3 tablespoons ghee or sunflower oil

Melt the ghee or heat the oil
Fry the onions until soft and golden over low heat - takes a good 20 minutes or so.
Add garlic and ginger and fry gently for another 2-3 mins
Add lamb pieces and curry powder and fry over higher heat for about 5-7 mins, to get nicely browned
Add tinned tomatoes, tomato purée, lamb stock, pinch sugar - bring to the boil and then turn down to simmer.
Add lemon juice, check seasoning and allow to simmer for AT LEAST an hour, the longer the better, on a low heat.
Add chopped tomatoes 10 mins before serving or finishing cooking, and coriander with or after tomatoes.

Serve over hot boiled or steamed rice. With pupodums on the side if desired, or naan bread.

A quick tomato salsa is a nice side dish too, just small dice tomatoes, finely chop either red onions, spring onions or plain ole yellow onions, season well with some salt and lots of pepper, and some fresh coriander if you have any spare.

My fast cheats pilau rice, if going posh, is:
Measure 1 cup of basmati rice per person, rinse this 3 times in cold water to get rid of starch.
Boil kettle.
Fry, in a tablespoon of ghee, 10 whole peppercorns, 5 cloves, 3 green cardamom pods, 10 whole coriander seeds, for about a minute but don't let these burn.
Add the rinsed rice and fry for another minute, keep stirring while rice fries to prevent sticking.
Add 2.5 cups of boiling water per cup of rice.
Add a good pinch of salt, and about 10 strands of saffron.
Leave uncovered, allow to simmer until rice absorbs the water, stirring occasionally.
Serve. I usually leave spice in rice as they are large so easy to find as you're eating but a Lit of faff to get out of the pot.

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
I've only recently tried something with a curry flavor, Winged One and I liked it! But I also think it was made to not be so hot - which when I think of curries I think hot and spicy?

I just bought a bottle of curry spice at the grocery store yesterday! I had a few recipes I wanted to try and now I have another one - thanks!!! :)

Here are a couple more potato related freezer recipes I've made/frozen and loved after thawing/reheating! Both are from the Pioneer Woman :)

PW Twice Baked Potatoes - Note, she highly recommends leaving out the green onions if freezing!

http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2007/07/twice_baked_pot/

PW Fluffy New Potatoes - These are a great way to use up a bunch of small potatoes from your garden! Or a bag of them from the store :)

http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/fluffy-new-potatoes/

Both of these are a great option to have in the freezer for us because I can take out just enough for a meal, throw on a baking sheet still frozen and then we have a great side dish to whatever else I'm make that evening with minimal fuss!

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Okay, I have a newly vetted freezer recipe to share!

Butternut Squash Lasagna!

https://onceamonthmeals.com/recipes/fresh-from-the-garden-butternut-squash-lasagna/

We had it last night and both DH and I loved it!

Some tips on the recipe, I followed it exactly and the white sauce took FOR-EVAH to thicken. I added extra flour and finally some ClearJel before it finally thickened up. I just dipped some of the hot sauce out into a bowl, added 1 T of flour or Clearjel at a time - whisked it real good until dissolved and then poured back into the main sauce. Had to do that several times before it seemed right.

I think that next time I'll follow the standard ratios for a white sauce (2 T flour and 2 T butter to every cup of milk) and see if that goes any better! But even with having to monkey with it, it turned out great.

This also confirmed what I've read about ClearJel being used well in freezer recipes! :)

Last edited:

momof9

Retire Member
Dec 3, 2007
LALA Land
Can we make this thread a sticky... this is a goldmine!