new ideas for 2011

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

JeniferDwn

MHH Member
Jul 21, 2010
Florence SC
www.jeniferdwn.blogspot.com
Anybody have any new ideas for your elves yet? I've read a few things that i've got on my list for this year. These ideas might not be new to everyone, but it could be something new you've read about.......

In the washing machine getting ready to take a "whirlpool bath"
Kids clothes are laid out the night before and the elves switch them.
draw faces on photo frames with dry erase marker
line up all shoes in a line like they're walking
switch bags of cereal and put into different boxes
get into the advent calendar and open days that shouldn't be open yet.

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
I am no good at having creative ideas but I LOVE the whirlpool bath, the shoes, oh I love them all :)

nicurn92

MHH Member
Sep 25, 2008
last year I bought the markers that you can write on mirrors with and then wipe it off and the elves were having a rousing game of tic-tac-toe when dd walked into the bathroom. (she was not amused :) )

I suspect that if I left them anywhere NEAR the washing machine she would wash them... it would not be pretty. :) she's 16 though and has a "love-hate" relationship with our elves currently. :)

maggie

nicurn92

MHH Member
Sep 25, 2008
here are some more ideas I just found...

1- Flying Gift Giving Elf: Hang your Elf from a fan in your house. Print out Elf On The Shelf Printable Gift Tags and scatter them about on the floor for your child to color and tag his/her own gifts.

2- Chef Elf: Place your Elf by your spice rack with wooden spoon in hand and “floured- up” bowl. Next to the bowl leave a ziplock bag labeled “Reindeer Food”. You can find the recipe for Reindeer Food here. Your children can use this to sprinkle outside your home on Christmas eve.

3- Underwear Bandit Elf: Place your Elf in your Christmas Tree and scatter your child’s underwear and socks on the tree and on the floor. (My son got a kick out of this one)

4- Just Back From the North Pole Elf : Seat your Elf on a window ledge and sprinkle him (and around him) with bits of “Coconut” to give the effect of snow brought back from the north pole. Optional gift add-on: You can purchase this “instant snow” kit for fun.

5- Couch Potato Elf: Place your Elf in your living room with a remote control near him and little bits of popcorn & glitter in a paper cupcake liner. If your local station is showing a Christmas Cartoon that night you can print out a picture of that movie and leave it nearby or leave out your child’s favorite Christmas DVD.

6- Just “Elfing Around” Elf: Hang your elf from a curtain rod. Using a roll of toilet paper toilet paper the room leaving one end in the Elf’s hands. (Another favorite Elf trick my son loved)

7- Picasso Elf: Sit the Elf on a shelf with a marker in his hands. Using dry-erase markers, draw funny faces on family pictures you have displayed in your home, make them hang lopsided, turn some around or upside down. Optional gift add-on: Leave your child a package of window markers to decorate the windows in your house. Crayola has a great line of window markers that usually retail for around $6.

8- Sweet Elf: Hang candy canes on your light fixtures and place the elf near one (maybe hanging from one?) with a candy cane in his arms too.

9- Kissable Elf: Hand your Elf in a doorway with your mistletoe. Leave Hershey Kisses scattered on the floor.

10- Game Time Elf: Take out your child’s favorite board game and place the Elf sitting with 2 or 3 of your child’s other favorite toys as if they were playing the game at night. (Think Toy Story with Andy’s Toys)

11- Bookworm Elf: Leave your elf under your tree or on a table with a favorite Christmas book opened. You could surround him by other stuffed animals and toys to make it look like he was reading to the other toys.

12- Marshmallow-fellow Elf: Make your elf appear to be roasting marshmallows by seating your elf next to your stove or in the kitchen next to a small tea light candle. Take a small stick from outside place a mini marshmallow on the end of it and place the stick in your elfs arms. Scatter some marshmellows around the Elf. Optional gift add on: Leave the makings of S’mores, packages of hot cocoa or a gingerbread house next to your elf as a small gift for your child.

13- Stocking Stuffer Elf: Place your Elf in your child’s stocking with some Christmas coloring pages peeking out family members stockings.

14- Shoe Sleding Elf: Hide your elf in your child’s shoe holding on to the shoe laces like Santa holds the reins on his sleigh. Place the shoe by an outside door, window or chimney.

15- Big Brother Elf: Get a felt Elf hat and write your child’s name on it in glitter. You can find a felt elf hat at Oriental Trading or at your local dollar store (this is where we found ours). Place your Elf hanging from your coat rack with the hat hanging up on a hook too. If you don’t have a coat rack, you can leave out coat or sweat shirt near your door with your Elf peeking out of one sleeve and the hat peeking out of the other.

nicurn92

MHH Member
Sep 25, 2008
and yet more super cute ideas:

1. Elves will be found scrounging in Daddy's wallet & wearing "money boots" (dollar bills folded to look like boots)
2. Craft kit - either foam or gingerbread
3. Elves will make breakfast - red/green pancakes complete w/ powdered sugar "snow" and a whipped cream snowman
4. Elves found attempting to make homemade playdough (something I've been wanting to do w/ the kids)
5. Elves found trying on new Christmas pj's w/ new movie
6. Elves found taking a "bubble" bath in the kitchen sink (sink filled w/ mini marshmallows)
7. Elves have tea party (E.T. style w/ all the stuffed animals)
8. Elves found hiding in Faith's backpack before school one morning (maybe w/ treats for the class? sneaking a note into her lunchbox?)
9. Elves caught in the act of leaving post-it notes messages left everywhere (possibly clues to find their whereabouts?)
10. Elves paint Daddy's toe nails
11. Elves doing gymnastics stunts (Faith's current obsession - FYI, it's a good idea to plan in a few easy days that can be plugged in when needed)
12. Elves catch a cold - found w/ tissues, thermometer, etc. Note from Dr. Santa prescribing 1 peppermint tic-tac per day.
13. Elves caught in the act of decorating kids' bedroom doors (wrapping paper, bows, wreath, etc)
14. Elves draw on windows, mirrors, and picture frames w/ Mommy's special "hands-off" chalk markers (tick-tack-toe, mustaches, etc)
15. Elf ball (paper folded to make a ball - can fill w/ small treats)
16. Dye toilet water (elves also have green potty, in case you didn't know!)
17. Elves pack Faith's lunch (on the lookout for elf shaped cookie cutters - hats, shoes, etc)
18. Elves leave directions for a “feed the birds” project - peanut butter and birdseed pinecones
19. Elves got bored & wandered outside, we have to find them. Leave footprints, M&M trail, or other clues.

and one more idea: white powdered donut holes for breakfast... "snowballs"

Last edited:

yummy-mummy-amy

Retire Member
Dec 8, 2008
cambs, UK
kids in room so "E". lol!

as i bought the play fort in garden for the boys, the "Es" will be wearing army "dog coats" and be outside by it/in it etc.

i plan to buy a small blank canvas, and have acrylic paints n brushes, an old build bear shirt (will have paint put on it) and "E" will be an artist.

if i can get enough balloons cheap i plan on filling the floor of lounge with red/green/whte/santa/snowmen/xmas balloons!

a school set up if i can find mini tables n chairs - already got mini clipboards n notebooks and can get ties off ebay for £1.99 each (adjustable doll/teddy size)

thats all for now

nicurn92

MHH Member
Sep 25, 2008
kids in room so "E". lol!

as i bought the play fort in garden for the boys, the "Es" will be wearing army "dog coats" and be outside by it/in it etc.

i plan to buy a small blank canvas, and have acrylic paints n brushes, an old build bear shirt (will have paint put on it) and "E" will be an artist.

if i can get enough balloons cheap i plan on filling the floor of lounge with red/green/whte/santa/snowmen/xmas balloons!

a school set up if i can find mini tables n chairs - already got mini clipboards n notebooks and can get ties off ebay for £1.99 each (adjustable doll/teddy size)

thats all for now

love these ideas! can't wait to see pics of them. :) maggie

yummy-mummy-amy

Retire Member
Dec 8, 2008
cambs, UK
bought the youngest son a rocking horse for his birthday so this is going to be turned into a reindeer and be "taught to fly". also plan on making gingerbread reindeers and reindeer lollipops on same night.

Mouse2

Retire Member
Jun 29, 2011
London, United Kingdom
Just wish I can get my elf made at this stage......