Number Six: The Magic of Traditions

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Gingerbug

Administrator
MHH Admin
Oct 9, 2007
Missouri, USA
Traditions are the framework of our lives. Things that we do over and over again that provide us with a sense of security and define our family. In today's busy world some families are losing the art of traditions. In the hustle and bustle of our daily lives we just don't make the time to treasure the little rituals that form the core of family memories.
Obviously the Magic Elves are all about tradition and this year is the time to start a new tradition in your family. Perhaps it will be one of the following:

1. Elf Tree: Create a special tree for the elves. This may be a tree that you let the kids decorate with homemade ornaments or perhaps the elves will bring a new ornament for the tree each year. However you set it up the "tradition" of the elf tree will be one that is remembered throughout life.
2. Elf Breakfast: Pick a specific day in December and make it a "new traditon" for the elves to prepare a special breakfast on that morning. Think of fun items like red and green pancakes or green milk, or another special menu. If you really want to be creative...create a printed menu...listing the specialties...use clip art so the kids can color the menus as a special after breakfast treat.
3. Elf Light Tour: Have the elves leave a map of the neighborhood with stars or another kind of marker by houses that must be seen. Then bundle up the family (and the elves) and go on a drive around the neighborhood following the map provided by the elves.
4. Elf Mall Thank You Trip: Take the elves to the mall along with some bags of "Elf Kisses" or "Elf Hugs" perhaps the Elf Bookmarks the kids created or the Jingle Bell ornaments. Have the elves (and kids) present the Thank You Treats to those "frazzled" store workers who put in long thankless hours during the busy season.

Well there's a few Elf Tradition ideas to consider. I'll try to add a few more later OR feel free to throw in some of your own.

snowangel00

Santa's Elves
Oct 9, 2007
Winter Wonderland
To add onto the Elf Thank You Trip - how about having the little elves take hot beverages (hot chocolate, cider, etc) to the local bell ringers and such. These precious people stand outside in cold weather for long periods of time and I'm sure they'd love to have a special treat from a special elf.

snowangel00

Santa's Elves
Oct 9, 2007
Winter Wonderland
An addtional tradition to start with the elves could be a trip to some local fire stations with cookies and maybe some hot chocolate. What a special visit and the firemen would just love it too.

Snowybear

Retire Member
Oct 15, 2007
I love those ideas! I went to Michael's Craft store and bought three small trees, (one for each of my children's room), and some small decorations. One of our activities will be to decorate the trees with their elves and then the elves can sleep under them.

chrissyjean

MHH Member
Oct 20, 2007
Wow, these are all great ideas! I can't wait till my elf arrives on Dec. 1st so we can start our adventures. He is joining our family for the first time this year, and we haven't named him yet, I have a book that I bought with him in Silver Dollar City, Christmas Hollow, and part of his tradition is the :haha: family chooses his name, I can't wait to see what my girls want to name him! I know they will be all for taking him on adventures, such as thank you trips, and light seeing, Can't wait!!!!!! :bigsnow: