October 25th - Pantry Week

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Whew! Another week already!!! {shock}

I am subbing the Dining Room on the HGP plan this week since I need it done before the baby shower and can't wait for it's normal week on the plan this year.

I've already cleaned the silver tea set, but need to get the following things done:

[ ] Clean scuff marks off walls
[ ] Dust mini blinds
[ ] Scrub soot marks off of fireplace stones

If I can get these items done, I'll be a happy, happy camper! :)

Pantries are in decent shape - I emptied alot of home canned items that expired last week, washed the jars and stored them in the basement.

Pantry shelves down there are neat and clean with plenty of space for holiday stock ups!

Upstairs I have a few small cupboards with food items and if I can, I will take the time to reorganize them this week. Not a priority though!

I am still struggling with skunk smell in the house - but I don't think it is the house anymore - I think it is just the dogs! They are much, much better after their trip to the groomers - but they are still quite fragrant! :)

I've been cleaning walls and floors like mad - just to make sure the lingering smells are doggy oriented only! lol

I have just kept reminding myself - what does not kill us makes us stronger! I am definitely stronger after surviving last week - more details on the Chit Chat thread to come!

Winged One

Retire Member
Sep 2, 2008
Fluttering happily in the clouds!!
Pantry is not too bad, TG - but I need to get finished with the kitchen and a few other tasks around the place.

And I need to get stuck into the Christmas tasks also.

(But I DID make some progress in cleaning out the bookcase in guest bedroom last night!!).

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Didn't work on the Dining Room last night - but I did clean out the refrigerator in the downstairs hallway and wipe down all the shelves.

I also helped DH clean up all his tools from the Living Room and put things back in some order in there after his construction work on the skylights.

Once he razors the accidental paint marks off the skylight glass I can get in there and really dust/vacuum again. It is quite messy right now!

I also started packing the camper last night - washed all the bedding, etc. I'll get out there tonight to make the bed, pack all the non cold foods and some other misc items.

Skunk Update:

The dogs still stink - UGH - we are going to try something new on them tonight. Wish me luck!!!

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
Tuesday. So far..... doing routines, laundry, cleaning up the kitchen. And..... I am THINKING about the pantry.

Cathymac

Super Moderator
Oct 10, 2007
Arkansas-Go Razorbacks! Whoo Pig Sooie!
My pantry is actually in good shape, mostly due to the fact that we've been eating out of it all fall, what with football and all..not much time to shop. Plus, with money so tight right now (again? still? always?) we've had to eat what we have. I've been amazed at how much stuff was actually in there. But now-it's nice and tidy. Time to fill it back up!

So, I think i'l make a pantry stock up list and start picking up one or two things each week. Things like extra coffee, flour and sugar; sweetened condensed milk and evaporated milk; cake mixes and brownie mixes; canned veggies-corn, green beans, mixed veggies for soup, beans, and carrots; cans of spaghetti sauce and boxes/bags of pasta; soup-both for quick lunches/dinners, but also in case anyone gets sick; chicken broth and beef broth; bread machine yeast and bread flour; chocolate chips, nuts, peanut butter chips, butterscotch chips; pudding mixes and jello; salt, pepper, chili powder, cumin, dried herbs (ones I didn't raise in my herb bed) and spices.

I did buy a huge canister of Swiss Miss hot chocolate mix and a big can of coffee at Sam's Club last week. I also bought a huge can of peanut butter and a big box of poptarts. Well, it's a start, anyway.

I'm glad this is a slow week for me...and glad that I worked on the pantry a little over the summer. Ya'll are doing well...very inspiring!

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Sounds like a good plan, Cathymac! :)

I want to stock up on a few pantry items too! I'll need to ponder which ones I want to make a priority...

Tonight I am going to attempt to accomplish two - count them - two HGP tasks in the Dining Room!

1.) Scrub the fireplace stones (soot marks above the fireplace enclosure need to be addressed!)

2.) Dust the blinds with Swiffer duster to get little flecks of soot off

If I am really rocking and a'rolling I will clean up the plant in the Living Room that has been dropping dead leaves in its container - poor thing - I want to trim it back and clean it up!

grandma bucket

Retire Member
Oct 5, 2009
So you HAVE seen my pantry! I have been stocking up on baking supplies. DH has been so helpful in putting it away for me chucking it on top of everything else in there, my grandchildren also have been helpful, my grandson digging through looking for raisins/snacks and his sister just pulling out cans and whatever else she can get her hands on. My DH then "helps" once again by throwing it back in willy nilly. Yep, it needs a lot of work. I have tomorrow off from the grand kiddies so I will grab a shovel and start work on it then.

Colleen in PA

Retire Member
Aug 20, 2008
My pantry closet is a mess...as far as "stocking up", I need to replenish baking supplies for my Christmas cookies - but I don't start baking until after Thanksgiving.

My real issue is that I don't cook. At least not regularly, although I want to. I never learned how to cook or make menus, etc. I've been trying to cook more, but I just don't have the ability to look in the pantry/fridge and make a meal out of what's there. (My MIL can with ease - what a great skill!) As a result, I tend to go out and shop for what I need for each meal individually - what a hassle!

Besides baking supplies and spices, what do you all consider "must haves" in your pantry?

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
Colleen --- Make it easy on yourself! For example -- I love to eat pasta at home. (I think it is better at home than at any restaurant!) And - we usually have it at least once a week. So -- I keep several different varieties of pasta sauce on hand. And - we like the "high protein" pasta from Barilla. So - I keep several boxes of that. I buy rolls -- and keep them in the freezer - because my husband likes one with pasta. I keep lettuce in the refrigerator & salad dressing. We like fruit for dessert -- so I keep cans of different kinds of fruit -- and add cut up fresh fruit to it for dessert.

We use vegetarian meat. So I keep packages of the different kinds of meat in the freezer. (Turkey, chicken breast, hamburger meat, chicken strips, steak strips.) I also keep packages of mixed vegetables in the freezer (like mixed asian vgetables, "Santa Fe mix (beans and corn and red peppers etc.) various kinds. Really quick to cook up a package of frozen vegetables and meat. (Add a bit of bottled sauce - which you keep on the refrigerator shelf). I cook up brown rice once a week or so -- and keep it in the refrigerator - ready to reheat for these dinners.

Last edited:

jinglemom

Retire Member
Oct 16, 2007
So you HAVE seen my pantry! I have been stocking up on baking supplies. DH has been so helpful in putting it away for me chucking it on top of everything else in there, my grandchildren also have been helpful, my grandson digging through looking for raisins/snacks and his sister just pulling out cans and whatever else she can get her hands on. My DH then "helps" once again by throwing it back in willy nilly. Yep, it needs a lot of work. I have tomorrow off from the grand kiddies so I will grab a shovel and start work on it then.

grandma bucket, yours sounds alot like mine......Although I would love it if my kids actually removed the boxes from the pantry. I'm always finding empty boxes in mine. My family eats the food, then leaves the empty box still in the pantry.

Winged One

Retire Member
Sep 2, 2008
Fluttering happily in the clouds!!
Baby steps being made this week. Cleared some space in freezer (part of the "Pantry stores"!) - which is getting filled again very fast! And I sorted one food cupboard also.

I am going to work on sleep first and then clearing the wardrobe in guest room at the weekend, as that is where I have my stash of presents and I need to make sure I have everything listed.

And I want to write a few more cards too, as the time fotr posting international ones is drawing close!

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Colleen in PA - Must haves in our pantry are things like pasta, pasta sauce, green beans, various condensed "cream of" soups, chili beans, canned mushrooms...but what it boils down to is having things on hand that lend themselves to recipes we make again and again.

That way I know I'll use the items eventually. :)

Maybe pick 1 or 2 simple meals or recipes and if you like them, start to keep any non-perishable ingredients for those meals on hand. Or make use of the freezer for ingredients like meat, cheese, etc. that will last longer that way.

Then as time goes on, try out and add more meals/recipes to your "go to" list. Gradually, over time, you should have at least a short list of meals you can pull together from the pantry if needed.

It could as simple a meal as canned spaghetti o's and grilled cheese sandwhiches - a quick, easy meal we have at our house sometimes. Not the healthiest in the world - but we could do alot worse! :)

Just some thoughts! You'll have to find what works best for you, of course!

Small progress to report:

[X] Scrubbed fireplace stones
[X] Pulled up tomato cages from garden and tidied up gardening supplies

Rest of the night last night was spent working on packing the camper - got all the food, clothes and several misc items packed. Also got the bed made.

Tonight - come heck or high water I am making Pioneer Woman Cinnamon Rolls - YUM! For those who are not aware of this phenomenon - click the link below and prepare to drool!

http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2007/06/cinammon_rolls_/

I am also going to through some chicken in the crockpot tonight to precook it - then I'll shred it and throw it in a ziplock bag for this weekend's Buffalo Chicken Dip - another food from the gods and a recipe I found via the OC site when we were all still on there!

Double YUM!

halimer

Premiere Member
Aug 30, 2008
Long Island, NY
I moved some things around and did some tossing yesterday.

I know I need one of those giant bags of sugar. Also the local store has cake mixes on sale this week, so I should get some of those. I think I'm good on nuts and stuff, but that means I have to check the freezer.

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
Thursday. I got more cleaning and organizing done. Not a huge amount. But every little bit does help!

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Was able to clean all the scuff marks off the Dining Room Walls last night - which is huge!

Love those Magic Erasers!!!

Rest of the night was spent making cinnamon rolls and pre-making buffalo chicken dip - and packing the camper.

We are leaving tonight after DH gets home from work! I can't wait!!!