Planning for Fall Freezer Cooking...

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

aggy

Santa's Elves
Oct 11, 2007
Baltimore, Maryland
Question? I found a recipe for a crescent breakfast ring. Do you think it can be frozen? I'm thinking I can cut it up and just take one out for breakfast when I don't have time to actually cook breakfast and heat it up in the microwave.

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
Well my plans for freezer cooking hit a speed bump .. I was planning on making my freezer meals Labor day weekend and use the freezer part of the spare frig in our garage for storing my freezer meals. Well the fgi in the garage started tripping a couple days ago. Would reset it only for it to trip again hours later .. found the culprit... My spare frig. I was informed that its not a good idea to plug in refrigerators on a GFI circuit but because of code all the outlets in the garage must be on an GFI outlet and I have no other place to place this spare frig but in the garage. Looks like I will be selling it soon.

Since my chest freezer is packed full along with the freezer in my kitchen I will have to wait until I make a dent in them to store my freezer meals. Over the is past weekend I made batches of assorted sized of loaves/muffins of banana bread and zucchini bread which took up a good bit of space... May have surprise some family/friends with a loaf or 2.

Thankfully the only thing I had in the refrigerator part was bottle water, Gatorade and sodas. I do like to buy several gallons of milk at a time to save on multiple trips but it looks like I will only be buying 2 gallons at a time now.

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
Question? I found a recipe for a crescent breakfast ring. Do you think it can be frozen? I'm thinking I can cut it up and just take one out for breakfast when I don't have time to actually cook breakfast and heat it up in the microwave.

Are you thinking of baking it first and then freezing it? I think that should be fine. I'm not sure how microwaving unbaked dough will be, though. In any case, it's worth trying.

aggy

Santa's Elves
Oct 11, 2007
Baltimore, Maryland
Are you thinking of baking it first and then freezing it? I think that should be fine. I'm not sure how microwaving unbaked dough will be, though. In any case, it's worth trying.

Yes Holiday_Mom. Then cut it into slices and store in the freezer.

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
I like the idea of the foil lining the pans and then popping them out. I'll have to try that. I haven't made a plan yet, but I will put that on my to do list as well. I love meal prep in the fall to prep for the holiday rush.

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Tip for foil lining pans: To make fitting the foil into the pan super easy, make sure the bottom of the pan is clean. Turn it upside down on the counter and press the big sheet of foil down and around the sides and corners.

Life the foil off and it will hold the shape of the pan. Turn the pan over and then just gently snug the shaped foil down into place.

So easy this way and so fussing with trying to press the foil into place and having it rip!

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
AJ, thanks I always rip the foil getting it inside the pans.

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
AJ thanks! I didn't know the foil tip either. For sure I'll try it out

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Good job, aggy! :)

All I added to my freezer this weekend was a couple of loaves of bakery bread, sliced horizontally. They are nice to have to pull and use to make cheesy garlic bread with!

Oh, and some sliced bell peppers for when I make Oven Chicken Fajitas!

BUT, this coming weekend is my first big batch cooking session! Looking forward to it!

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
Sounds like everyone is doing great adding to their freezers.

We had been eating out of the freezer trying to make room for some freeze ahead meals but we had a friend gave us deer meat over the weekend so we have several pack of cubed up deer meat for stew all ready to go and that pretty much filled up the rest of my freezer space.

Next weekend I am suppose to blanch a bushel of corn for the freezer. I just hope I can make enough room in the freezer by then to fit it all.

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Bought a big bag of imperfect bell peppers at the grocery store. So this morning I cut it all up ... gives me 9 small bags of chopped bell peppers for recipes.

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Did my first freezer cooking session this weekend! :)

I've now got two breakfast strudel, two bags of lasagna sauce (I'll use as a decadent spaghetti sauce) and a bag of Way Out West Wontons in the freezer! Also has some extra browned sausage left over so froze that as well!

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
I added lots of cooked ground beef with onions and onion soup

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
I added two 8x8 pans of Shepherd's Pie, 3 large bags of PW Mashed Potatoes, two large bags of Broccoli Cheddar Soup and several single serving bags of Chili to the freezer this weekend!!!

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
I'm jealous..BUT I did make an extra meatloaf and sliced it for sandwiches later. It's a start!!

Cindylouwho

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
What a great thread! Nice job on the freezer, Aggy! I just finished working on my master bedroom so I'm rewarding myself by checking in here.

I'm nearing the end of my last stash of freezer meals. Might last me another couple weeks. Then we have a quarter beef share coming. It will already be frozen so not sure how I'm going to deal with that. I don't normally cook my freezer meals til the day of. I freeze most stuff raw (except ground beef). What can I do with beef that is already frozen? Thaw and cook into all these casseroles I guess? Will have to look at some of these recipes.

The link to the recipes that was posted on page 1 went to an Error message. Can someone tell me where to find that?

My other issue is we are gluten free. That frozen Lasagne for Christmas Eve sounds wonderful. Wonder if I can make that work with Tinkyaada Gluten Free Brown Rice Pasta. We really like it but it gets so slimy with the chaff as it cooks. Really has to be rinsed. :-/ Ideas?

Will drag out my list of recipes too and get them posted here. :)