Reading Log 2017

Discussion in 'The Book Nook' started by happy2bme, Jan 2, 2017.

1. ChristmasRose

ChristmasRose Member

I've been gone a long time. My husband had a quadruple bypass (twice!) a couple of years ago, and I was diagnosed with stage 2 colon cancer last year. Had to stop my chemo because of neuropathy, but while I was having it, I read a lot! I enjoyed the Bianca Goddard mystery series by Mary Lawrence (Death of an Alchemist, etc). Also enjoyed a couple of Karen MacInerney's series, but, I must say, Whale of a Crime had a huge number of mistakes in it. Don't publishers use proofreaders any more?! Typos, words missing, wrong words, she called a detective him and her in the same paragraph! I see things like this all the time in books, but this was more than usual.

I'm reading The Grapes of Wrath now. I like it better than the movie. One of my doctors is reading it, and he wanted me to read it, too. He's from Oklahoma, and is having a hard time with all the "Okies" being portrayed as so undeucated. Happy reading!

2. sweetpumkinpye

sweetpumkinpye Well-Known Member

ChristmasRose, welcome back.

I am reading "Baxter Family Christmas" by Karen Kingsbury. I am halfway through and am enjoying it.

3. Lolwlias

Lolwlias Member

Currently reading ESCAPE FROM DANNEMORA.

4. happy2bme

happy2bme Well-Known Member

Welcome back, ChristmasRose. You have your hands full, but it is great that you are finding time to read.

I haven't been around for a while, but I have been reading. None of it is anything anyone would find exciting, so won't bore you with the details. I am finally starting to read some novels again and have my hands on the new Debbie Macomber - If Not For You. I am really looking forward to it.

Happy Reading!

5. sweetpumkinpye

Mel, just finished If Not For You. You will enjoy it.

6. luludou

luludou Well-Known Member

Finished Ragdoll by Daniel Cole. Good police book but not quite the ending I thought. I'd say 4/5 in the rating

7. happy2bme

Just finished Debbie Macomber's new book and loved it! :):):)

Not sure what to read next, will check my bookshelf to see what catches my eye.

8. MrsSoup

MrsSoup Well-Known Member

I finished The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield and really enjoyed it! Now i'm reading The Chemist by Stephenie Meyer and I haven't really gotten into it yet. Maybe I just haven't read far enough in yet. I'm also reading Homicide in Hardcover by Kate Carlisle, again not that into it yet, maybe for the same reason. I may just scrap both of them and get something else. We'll see.

9. sweetpumkinpye

Just finished "Against all odds" by Danielle Steel. It was not a bad read.
    Having finished that I have reached my goal of reading 10 books this year, so one of my goals for 2017 ticked off the list.

10. JeniferDwn

JeniferDwn Member

I gave up on the Lord of the Rings trilogy. I have them all in one book and it is huge. I'm going to the library so see if I can get individuals. I decided to start again on Wicked. I couldn't get into it last time, but hope to more this time. I also got the set of Sisters Grimm that I want to read and a friends daughter gave me Echo to read. The third book i'm reading is Three Bags Full. It's very cute as its a murder mystery and its told from the sheeps view. Their shepherd is murdered and they are trying to solve the mystery of who did it. (that's not a spoiler, its on the back of the book).
    the rest of my list for summer is
    Gone with the Wind
    Lord of the Rings
    Hobbit

11. Miss JoDee

Miss JoDee Active Member

Just finished the first book by Julie Klassen Lady Milkweed Manor it is about a vicar's daughter that becomes pregnant and is shunned by her Father. This 18th century setting send the girl to a place in London where unwed mothers are kept out of sight, the character makes many sacrifices and the story takes you on quite a journey.

12. DahliaDoll

DahliaDoll Member

Greetings!

So far this year I have read and enjoyed ...

The Trespasser by Tana French

These three were all in one volume that I checked out from the library. Not my usual style to read three in a row of one author but it's a good series.
    • Iron Lake by William Kent Krueger
    • Boundary Waters by William Kent Krueger
    • Purgatory Ridge by William Kent Krueger
    A Fall of Marigolds by Susan Meissner

I'm currently reading The Boston Girl by Anita Diamant

13. DahliaDoll

DahliaDoll Member

Ah! You reminded me to look for a "beach read" next. I need something light, lovely and fun. I looked at Mount but ended up downloading a free Kindle book which was also listed.

tanya likes this.
  14. Ahorsesoul

Ahorsesoul Santa's Elves

I just finished reading Iron Lake. I'd read more of the series. I order Three Bags Full and Lady Milkweed Manor from the library. Thanks for the ideas.

15. MrsSoup

MrsSoup Well-Known Member

Let's see. After The Chemist, I read:

The Sun is Also A Star
    by Nicola Yoon
    Nightshade for Warning by Bailey Cattrell
    Old Acquaintance by Terri Reid
    Took by Mary Downing Hahn (one of DD's book fair books)
    Everything Everything by Nicola Yoon

Now i'm getting ready to start:

Spin A Wicked Web by Cricket McCrae
    Title Wave by Lorna Barrett

16. jollykelly

jollykelly Active Member

Just finished reading "Drowning Ruth" by Christina Schwarz. It was an old Oprah Book Club book that I picked up at a yard sale for $1.00, hard cover. It was a little slow and wordy at times, but I pushed through and I am glad I did. I feel like I need something a little lighter now, a quick easy read. I have a copy of "A Can of Peas" by Traci Depree that has been gathering dust on my shelf, maybe I will start that one.

17. DahliaDoll

DahliaDoll Member

Not in this series but the first book of his I read was Ordinary Grace which was very good.

18. sweetpumkinpye

Am half way through "the Nightingale" by Kristen Hannah. A really good read.

19. happy2bme

Katrina - I loved The Nightingale. I was thinking about it last night.

I have been reading a bunch of Christmas novels on my Kindle, they are short and don't require a lot of brain power. :p:cool::confused:;)

20. Miss JoDee

Miss JoDee Active Member

Picked up 2 more books from the library today.