Reading Log

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

happy2bme

Premiere Member
Oct 18, 2007
My Happy Place
I was wondering if anyone has ever done this. I have done it in the past and am going to do it again this year.

I am mainly doing it because my memory is bad and I sometimes will start reading a book I have already read.

I also find it fun to look back at the end of the year to see what was catching my interest at different times throughout the year.

AnnieClaus

Premiere Member
Nov 6, 2007
Southern Arizona
Yes. I do a word document for each book I read with a short summary- because like you said, Mel- I forget so much of the book.

I also include why/how I got that book to read.

Annie

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
I have tracked what I've read in the past but haven't done it for years and now I look back and can't remember if I've read certain books or not, so i'm going to start right now since I haven't yet read a book this year. :)

happy2bme

Premiere Member
Oct 18, 2007
My Happy Place
Good for you, Jessica.

Annie - that is a great idea to include why/how you got the book.

snowlvr

Retire Member
Oct 14, 2007
Western North Carolina
I do try to do this too, it makes for a feeling of accomplishment...haven't settled on a book to start yet-just finished "Jacob Marley" over Christmas vacation, got some more Civil War history books for presents, so it will probably be one of them...

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Since I now over 7000 ebooks in my computer (in French) I've made an excel spreadsheet with titles & authors of each book (kind of like a virtual library). I give each book I read a rating and sometimes write a comment.

DahliaDoll

Premiere Member
Oct 15, 2007
I do keep a record of books read, including the date I finished reading it, a brief description, and sometimes a rating. I also keep a list of books I want to read and note if someone recommended it. I'm not sure how helpful it is, though. I did read "Unbroken" but even when reading the description, I can't remember it. Hmm ...

p.a.

Premiere Member
Oct 31, 2007
If I download books thru my library I have to open them in Overdrive, if I try to download a book I've already read it tells me. If I buy books from Amazon I keep them in my library on my iPad ( free kindle app)

Lolwlias

Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
Cadyville, NY
Yes. I too have begun reading a book & realized I've read it before.
There are books I've purposely read again, though. :)

JeniferDwn

MHH Member
Jul 21, 2010
Florence SC
www.jeniferdwn.blogspot.com
I bought a pretty little journal years ago and I write down the names of all books I read.......well, I bought the book and wrote them down for awhile and wrote all the ones I remembered reading. That's a good thing to start now since it's a new year and I haven't finished but one book so far this year.

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
Might have to do that...or give it my best shot!

K

Kayyield

Sometimes I make a list of books I want to read. I think it would be a great idea to write something about the book once I have read it.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
I have never thought to do this. I rarely buy books because I find them too expensive, but I would like to keep a list of the books I borrow from the library to prevent me from re borrowing them.

happy2bme

Premiere Member
Oct 18, 2007
My Happy Place
Hi everyone,

The year is almost over and I was wondering how everyone did with their reading logs.

I didn't keep track of some of the non fiction books that I was only looking through for bits of information, otherwise, I wrote everything down.

I have enjoyed looking through the earlier part of the year to see what I was reading, and yes, I caught myself once starting a book that I had already read this year.
:rolleyes:

I am going to do this again for 2016.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
I set myself a goal to read 20 books this year. In the past 20 has not been a problem, but recently I find myself spending time on my ipad and on the computer. Luckily I did manage to reach my goal of 20 books.

I will see if I have a little note book here that I can use as my log.
The other thing that may be useful is to take a photo on your phone of the the cover of the books that you have read. Then when you are at the library and you are not sure if you have read the book you can quickly look.

happy2bme

Premiere Member
Oct 18, 2007
My Happy Place
The other thing that may be useful is to take a photo on your phone of the the cover of the books that you have read. Then when you are at the library and you are not sure if you have read the book you can quickly look.

That is a great idea, Katrina!!

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
I did very well and do plan to continue doing this. I kept a list in the Memo pad on my phone and was able to email it to myself so I can delete it and start a new one for 2016. I tracked every single book I read this year which totaled 54 1/2 books (one I read 1/2 of and wasn't able to finish before it had to go back and didn't have the time to recheck it and finish it at the time). I also have a list of books that I want to read and that includes my favorite authors upcoming books and the dates when they come out.

Jinglewhale

MHH Member
Oct 13, 2007
Texas
I have about that many books on my iPAD too. I don't keep up with them. THe only way I keep up with them is when I go to Amazon and it tells me I have already purchased this book. I haven't decided to keep track of each book or give a rating. Sounds good, but I don't think I could handle that. I admire you all who are doing some kind of record keeping.

happy2bme

Premiere Member
Oct 18, 2007
My Happy Place
Jinglewhale,

I had to laugh when you mentioned Amazon as I have done the same thing. For quite some time this year, all of our stuff was in storage. I came across some book titles and I wanted to read them, but was pretty sure I already owned them. Since my books were in storage, I went to Amazon and looked at previous orders to find out if I did in fact own them. I did.

Thanks for the chuckle. :D