Shipping Holiday Edibles - Master Thread

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
It's going to be that time before we know it! Time to box up and ship out packages that contain edible goodies for all and sundry!

This is something I've struggled with over the years. How to package cookies, etc. so that they arrive in best possible condition???

So here are the tips and tricks I've settled on over the years and please, please, please, share your wisdom!

Whether we're talking cookies, home canned goods, candy, gifts in a jar, whatever it is - what are your tips?
BRING IT!!! :) :) :)

Reactions: Minta

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Packing Cookies

One of the most commonly shipped food items at Christmastime has got to be cookies!

I’ve always used metal tins. Would love to hear other ideas too!

I now wrap each kind of cookie (4-6 at a time) in double layers of plastic wrap. It works well to make little stacks that fit the height of the tin. I use an adhesive gift tag on each little stack with the name of the type of cookie on it.

I line the tins with bubble wrap or scrunched up tissue paper on the bottom. I then put in a sheet of heavy duty foil or plastic wrap that is large enough to wrap back over all the cookies once the tin is full.

Then I put in heaviest cookies first and so on. Once I’ve got as many cookies as possible in the tin, I fill in any odd spaces with crunched up tissue paper so nothing can shift. Then I fold over trailing ends of piece of foil I put in first and seal down lid.

When packing tin in box to be shipped, if possible, pack them in their own boxes, large enough that there is 2 inches of cushion that can be filled with packing material. If I’m packing with other gifts I just try to make sure there is plenty of “cushion” around the tin. I’m thinking of packing tins in their own little boxes this year and THEN adding to large boxes with rest of gifts.

OR I might ship them on their own, paying a bit more to get them there sooner and letting rest of gifts arrive later. Haven’t decided :)

Regardless, I seal the box well and mark Perishable/Fragile.

I have also heard that putting a tortilla shell in the bottom of the tin will help keep cookies soft and fresh. Has anyone ever tried this?

This year, I am not only baking my cookies ahead then freezing but I am going to go a step further and wrap them in the little bundles before freezing. That way I can pull them out of the freezer bags and pop in the tins still frozen.

Does anyone ship cookies or other foods internationally? Tips on that?

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
Great ideas for shipping cookies. I'm going to print it off for my notebook.

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
I never ship anything but I love reading how you all do this

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
I've seen where people use Pringle cans to put cookies in for shipping. You can decorate the can with holiday paper and then put the cookies inside and it has a lid to keep them secure. The cookies won't move around either.

Another trick to keep cookies soft and fresh is to put a piece of bread inside the container with them.

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Oh yes, the Pringle Can idea is a good one too! And I will note the bread idea as well!

I had another epiphany this morning. It is always SUPER crazy the day I pack the cookie tins for shipping. I think I am going to take my idea of pre-bundling the cookies for slipping into the tins a step further.

I'm going to put together a box with all the tins that will be filled with cookies and bring it downstairs. I'll label each tin with a sticky note as to whom it is for. I will then fill a corresponding ziplock, or ziplocks, also labeled, with the cookie bundles that will fit in that tin. Testing as I go along.

Then when it comes time to pack the tins, all I have to do is pull out the bag(s) for XYZ family's tin and pack those suckers! The only exception will be one type of cookie I'm making that needs to be dipped in white chocolate. The cookies will be baked and frozen but I've always been worried as to how well the chocolate coating would fare being frozen then thawed.

Has anyone ever tried doing that? Either using real chocolate or the almond bark kind?