Side Dish Recipes

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Tried two new recipes this weekend and they were both picked CLEAN so they are going into the tried and true binder!

Broccoli and Bacon with Cream Sauce

1 lb bacon, cooked and roughly chopped

2 tablespoons butter

1 onion diced

5 cloves garlic finely chopped

1 1/2 cups heavy cream

1 1/2 teaspoons cornstarch mixed with 1 tablespoon water cornstarch slurry

1 pound (500 grams) broccoli florets, from 2-3 broccoli heads -- stems removed

Salt and pepper to season

1/2 cup fresh shredded or grated mozzarella

1/3 cup fresh shredded or grated parmesan cheese

Instructions

1. Preheat broiler (on medium heat of you have the option).

2. Fry the bacon in a large oven-safe skillet over medium heat until crispy. Use a slotted spoon to transfer to a paper towel lined plate to soak up some of the oil. Set aside.

3. Drain most of the bacon fat from the pan, leaving about 1-2 tablespoons for added flavour (adjust this amount to your liking). In the same pan, melt the butter, add the onion and cook until transparent (about 2 minutes), while scraping up any browned bits leftover from the bacon. Add the broccoli and season with salt and pepper and cook while stirring occasionally for about 3 minutes, or until just turning vibrant in colour.

4. Add in the garlic and stir it through the broccoli for 30 seconds, until fragrant. Pour in the cream, reduce heat down to low and let simmer for about 3-4 while stirring occasionally, or until the sauce thickens to your liking* (SEE NOTES)

5. (If sauce is too thin, stir in the cornstarch slurry to combine.)

6. Add the bacon and give everything a good mix to combine all of the flavours together. Top with the mozzarella and parmesan cheeses. Broil until cheese is bubbling and golden, and broccoli is done to your liking (about 2-3 minutes).

7. Season with a little extra pepper, if desired, before serving. You can also sprinkle with fresh chopped parsley, thyme or rosemary.
Recipe Notes

*For tender-crisp broccoli, simmer it in the cream sauce for 3 minutes before broiling in the oven. Remember, the longer you cook it, the softer it gets.

*For softer broccoli, simmer for at least 5-6 minutes in the sauce before broiling. You can also cover with a lid for a minute or two to ensure softer broccoli pieces.

Reactions: luludou

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN

Pioneer Woman Perfect Potatoes au Gratin

4 whole Russet Potatoes, Scrubbed Clean

2 Tablespoons Butter, Softened

1-½ cup Heavy Cream

½ cups Whole Milk

2 Tablespoons Flour

4 cloves Garlic, Finely Minced

1 teaspoon Salt

Freshly Ground Pepper, to taste

1 cup Sharp Cheddar Cheese, Freshly Grated

Preparation Instructions

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

Smear softened butter all over the bottom of a baking dish.

Slice potatoes, then cut slices into fourths.

In a separate bowl, whisk together cream, milk, flour, minced garlic, salt, and plenty of freshly ground black pepper.

Place 1/3 of the potatoes in the bottom of the baking dish. Pour 1/3 of the cream mixture over the potatoes.

Repeat this two more times, ending with the cream mixture. Cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes. Remove foil and bake for 20 minutes, or until potatoes are golden brown and really bubbling. Add grated cheese to the top of the potatoes and bake for 3 to 5 more minutes, until cheese is melted and bubbly.

Allow to stand for a few minutes before serving by the spoonful. Delicious!

NOTES: I poured on a little extra heavy cream - maybe 1/4 cup? Also, it took almost another half an hour to finish cooking than recipe stated. I waited until a fork pushed into the potatoes was going in easily before I topped with cheese and put back in.

homemade4me

MHH Member
Jun 30, 2020
San Diego County
Whippoorwill Holler on YouTube......
Creamy Vegetable Casserole
20 oz cream of mushroom soup
1 cup sour cream
2 cups swiss or mozzarella cheese
2 cups french fries onions
40 oz of frozen vegetables of your choice
Cook for 45 -50 minutes at 350 oven add more cheese and french fries onions, cook 15 more minutes

I think I am going to try this.....only cut it in half......

Laurie

Simplify