The Outlander by Diana Gabaldon

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
Love this series. Have read it several times. Since the last read I have started looking up things on the computer that are in the books I read to get a more vivid mind picture when I'm reading. This author does some great descriptive writing so it's not needed as much as some books. Still I find it fun.

Have been reading today but I had to come sit by the computer. I wasn't sure what a plover looked like or why it was a tarns instead of a lake. So I'm doing my research. lol

I liked this site for the photos
http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/

Plovers
http://www.rspb.org.uk/wildlife/birdguide/families/plovers.aspx

Fort William
http://visit-fortwilliam.co.uk/history-and-culture-of-fort-william-in-the-highlands-of-scotland

Fraser tartan
http://www.scotsconnection.com/Tartan-Viewer/F-Tartans/Fraser-Tartan/p-133-152-454/

HouseElf

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Oct 12, 2007
Ontario, Canada
www.pinterest.com
Loved the books - at times difficult as I kept putting it down and thinking 'for the love of all, just leave poor Jamie alone!'

Was funny to read some of the sayings, as I always thought some of the words from my childhood my dad made up lol turns out he was just showing his roots

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
Yes, come read with us. I've gotten so much housework done today. I read a chapter and then work for a little bit. Then read and repeat.

girlsinmo

Premiere Member
Jan 1, 2008
MO
Thanks for the links Diedra & Annie. I've made it up to page 175 so far..It's a good book!

Hope more can join in reading..

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
I love her blog. Thanks Annie. Never thought to look for it. lol

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
I'm reading a chapter and then doing some housework. I think I'll have to sweep the garage out next. I'm running out of things to clean! Amazing how fast I can clean when I want to read another chapter. lol

I have dinner in the crock pot so it will be ready (or I'd forget to even fix something). I decided not to go to the thrift store this morning so I could read instead. Walmart will be there once all the chapters are read. Lucky for me dh is at a golf tournament until later. Time to read.

girlsinmo

Premiere Member
Jan 1, 2008
MO
I'm going to have to get lost in "Outlander" country today. It is a good book just so much is going on I'm having trouble meeting the library deadline:)

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
I'm having no trouble getting into this book since I've had two free days to read. I should have gone to the library to pick up the 2nd book this afternoon but I was too busy reading. Now I only have 3 chapters left in the book. I may have to re-re-read the book tomorrow. lol

girlsinmo

Premiere Member
Jan 1, 2008
MO
I'm on page 434. Hopefully things will stay quiet & I can finish it in a week. I'm really enjoying this book.

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
Things I need to look up from those pages:

Dragoman
dropwort
difference between betony and lambs quarters
Bannocks recipe
See if I can find an example of a wild boar tusk bracelet

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
Started on Dragonfly in Amber, book 2.

I am taking notes while reading. I decided my DS needs this book series for Christmas. I'm thinking of putting the books into a basket with items related to the book. So far I have:

Key-chain with a dragonfly, running stag or thistle in it
Scotch Whiskey
Bottle of Wine
A bag of butterscotch candy
Plaid napkins
Dragonfly soaps
Maybe a cologne from Scotland if I can find one

Need something time related other than a watch. Maybe a clock that runs backwards since the book is about time travel.

Maybe a travel book Scotland. DS loves to travel.

girlsinmo

Premiere Member
Jan 1, 2008
MO
What a great gift for your DS Diedra. I haven't got to read on y book yet today, too many interruptions...

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
How this book ends and how the next one starts is surprising. At least at first.

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
i am so mad I can't put my hand on my books!!! I know I didn't give them away because it was a series I liked, which means I lent it to someone. Maybe they'll come back one day. I don't remember if I had them in French or English - it would narrow the people I lent it to.

The worst? I had the 1st five, bought the 6th but haven't read it yet because I wanted to reread the others first!

Have fun reading it.

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
I was always forgetting what happened to items I had lent out. Now I fill out an index card of what it was and who has it. I even put it in the front of my recipe box. lol

AnnieClaus

Premiere Member
Nov 6, 2007
Southern Arizona
Unfortunatly, one of the things in the little Life Lessons books says:
"If you loan out a book, consider it a gift."

I don't know what it is- but people are really bad about returning loaned out books.

Annie