Turkey Day 8 2014

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
Happy Turkey Day to All. Everyone can celebrate Thanksgiving all around the world as a day of being thankful for the bounty we have in life.

For some Thanksgiving will be in about 7 weeks and those in the USA have a whole 14 weeks. Remember in the USA that puts us really close to Christmas. Get those plans ready now to reduce your stress level.

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
Turkey Sandwich Ideas--use those leftovers!

Good idea to do the shopping list ahead of time. I have mine on the computer so I can just print it out every year since my menu stays the same. It also helps so I can check to be sure I have things on the pantry shelf that I might need to replace.

Here's some turkey sandwich ideas.
http://tastykitchen.com/blog/2013/11/turkey-sandwiches/

ejagno

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Aug 31, 2010
SW Louisiana
Deidra, are you in the states or another country?

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
Some people do call Wisconsin an other country….

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
I'm down one employee at work this year, so I'm thinking I'm going to have to work Thanksgiving this year. I'm use to it, but it's been a few years. We do a great big potluck, so lucky thing is I can have my food ready before I go to work and usually just call my hubby to put it in the oven. It makes it a tad bit busier in the afternoon, running home, grabbing the food and getting out the door, but I always remind myself of the things I'm thankful for because of the business. I' think I'm going to make an old favorite this year...It's a cheesecake in the middle of a carrot cake. I LOVE IT..and it's been several years since I've made it. That and some pecan pie and I'm good to go!

If I was the one making turkey, I'd make the turkey breast recipe I made for CIJ, because seriously, it was the best turkey breast I've ever had. YUMMMM!!

housewife2

Premiere Member
Aug 3, 2008
va
ive been thinking of thanksgiving dishes we have anew cookbook at work I want to get the harvest by goosebury. it has pictures this time. the food looks so yummy

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
Cheesecake Carrot cake

I just looked at several recipes for this. I have to make it. Thanks for sharing the idea.

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
I did think about what color chocolates I want to use for my wishbone molds..That's something I'm planning for. ;) I think I'm going with vanilla with a tad of chocolate to make it look off white. Seriously planning here...LOL

RoniJo

Premiere Member
Jul 2, 2014
That french toast looks great. I may have to try it, DS12 loves anything pumpkin.

aggy

Santa's Elves
Oct 11, 2007
Baltimore, Maryland
Just finished making my grocery list for this year's Thanksgiving Day. :)

My menu is:

-turkey
-spiral honey ham
-fried chicken
-bbq ribs
-crab stuffing
-sage stuffing (found out last year that my youngest niece is allergic to shellfish)
-collard/kale greens
-potato salad
-Amish macaroni salad (special request)
-mac & cheese
-dinner rolls
-pineapple upsidedown cake
-and for beverages, choice of soda or lemon tea

It's a lot I know but these are my family's favorite foods.

Last edited:

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Anticipating that we will probably be doing Thanksgiving at MIL's again this year although we had hoped to be moved home in time to host.

SO - my planned contributions to the meal are:

- Herb Filled Crescents...this is a tried and true recipe I've had for years! It is from a "cookbook" I started a subscription to when I was a teenager. You signed up and they sent you a binder and a set of cards - full size pages, glossy with 3 holes punched so that they go in the binder.

They sent a new set of cards every month and I kept it up for a quite a while. Goodness knows how much I paid for all of those, but I will say I keep going back to that binder and I'm always happy with the results.

ANYWAY - the recipe is simple. You roll out pieces of frozen puff pastry (thawed) and cut into triangle shapes. You spread each shape with cream cheese that has been softened and mixed together with various herbs and spices (garlic, chives, dill, etc.) Then you roll them up, brush them with egg white or milk and bake until golden. YUM!!! There are never leftovers, no matter how many I make!

- My other contribution this year will be a recipe I tested last fall and it was SO good! DH and I left no leftovers!!!

Roasted Butternut Squash with Kale and Almond Pecan Parmesan

http://ohsheglows.com/2012/09/24/roasted-butternut-squash-with-kale-and-almond-pecan-parmesan/

I wanted to bring something that was a healthy type vegetable but still yummy and this dish fits the bill perfectly! And we have LOTS of butternut from the garden this year which is even better!

Sugarplum

MHH Member
Jan 4, 2013
Florida
AJ-Those herbed crescents sound delicious!! I love anything with puff pastry! I have some recipe cards like yours. In fact, the one recipe card for chicken enchiladas I have helped me reel in DH, lol. I must make them soon!