Using up milk...

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
What is your favorite way to use up milk before it has to be tossed? I had most of a gallon jug of whole milk with a best use by date of tomorrow and I've been trying to use it up today.

Made a batch of bread that used 4 cups of milk in the dough - made a small batch of pudding that used 1.5 cups and made a double batch of blueberry muffins that used up 2.5 cups...I'll slice and freeze the bread - and flash freeze the muffins before moving to a ziplock bag in freezer.

I could make more muffins but I'm a little tired :) Thinking of just freezing the rest to use later - but curious as to what others do to use up larger quantities of milk.

Do you make white sauces? Creamy soups? Are there other baked goods that use milk that can be baked then frozen? I thought of popovers maybe...

What do you guys think?

happy2bme

Premiere Member
Oct 18, 2007
My Happy Place
I wish I had this problem. Milk never lasts around here.

halimer

Premiere Member
Aug 30, 2008
Long Island, NY
I usually make bread pudding. My ratio is 3 eggs to 2 cups of milk to 1 cup of sugar.

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
Potato or Cheeseburger soup using it very well. You can always freeze it too.

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Great ideas!!!!

I was wondering about that best by date, actually. It was yesterday now that I look at it but I wonder if I could use the small amount I have remaining still or if I should just freeze it.

Starting feeling under the weather last night and just ran out of steam!

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
If your refrigerator is as cold as it should be and the milk hasn't set out, but has been returned promptly to the refrigerator each time is was taken out, it should be good up to 7 days after the best before date.

Many people don't understand sell by, best by, and use by dates.

"Sell by" or "display until" is more of a tracking of fresh inventory for a merchandiser. Most food is still fresh for 2-3 days after that date. It's often marked down for quick sell. You can still use it after that date.

"Best by" or "best before" is the last date it will be at its peak freshness and flavor, texture, color, etc., but can still be used after the date - usually 5-7 days.

"Use by" or "expiration" dates are the last day it should be considered safe for consumption. If you're not sure, there are many helpful websites that can help you determine whether or not it's still safe.

Remember, many foods can be frozen for longer keeping, but it may adversely affect the texture of the food.

I use it for cornbread, biscuits, cream soups, or milk gravy.

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
I need to print MissJane's info out and post it on the inside of one of the kitchen cabinet doors.

Lolwlias

Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
Cadyville, NY
Nothing I ever have to worry about around here. :)

teachermomof2

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Oct 27, 2007
PA
Great tips Jane!

We don't have that problem here either. We go through at least a gallon a week.