Week Four in the countdown, Get Cooking

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

DebbiGall

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Christmas Countdown: Get Cooking Week

Week 4: November 12 - 18, 2017

We move to the kitchen, where it's all things cooking, as we swing into Get Cooking! week at the Christmas Countdown.

We'll plan holiday meals and menus, save money on holiday meals, prepare easy freezer entrees for busy December nights, and make holiday baking easier. Inventorying pantry and freezer means we'll have room to stock up on bargain-priced staples; a refrigerator clean-out sees us into Thanksgiving week with room to spare.

Goal: to clean up life in the kitchen, before the holiday rush begins.

Ready? Let's get cooking for stress-free Christmas holidays!

To Do This Week
  • Divide the Christmas card list into five groups. Write and address the third group this week.
  • Complete one-fourth of gifts to make this week.
  • Fill out a holiday menu planner for each post-Thanksgiving holiday meal that you will serve in your home. Can you delegate to other family members? What about a potluck holiday meal? Plan one with a potluck menu planner. Simplify holiday cooking!
  • Inventory the pantry, and record contents on a pantry inventory. No more last-minute trips to the store!
  • Check spices for freshness; replace outdated or stale items.
  • Start planning holiday baking with the baking planner form, and be alert for supermarket specials. Try to buy nonperishable holiday foods this week and next week for all upcoming holiday meals.
  • Clean out the freezer, and inventory contents with a freezer inventory form. Make space for holiday goodies and freezer meals.
  • Clean out the refrigerator.
  • Where are next week's recipes? Make a note of their location on the holiday recipe tracker to stave off last-minute cookbook searches.
  • Spot a great new recipe to try? Note it on the recipes to try inventory. You'll have great new dishes at your fingertips.
  • Do a mini-freezer cooking session, stock up at the supermarket, or visit the meal assembly franchise to put 5 to 10 pre-made entrees into the freezer. Use these meals on busy December evenings.
  • Prepare for drop-in visitors. Collect hospitality supplies: cheeses, crackers, frozen desserts. Hide from hungry family members using creative labeling.
  • Simplify baking chores: organize a Cookie Swap. Invite 6 to 12 guests to bring as many dozen cookies as there are guests. Swap so that each guest leaves with a lavish assortment of holiday goodies. Freeze immediately, marked as "liver and onions."
  • Start tracking "Black Friday" sales with a holiday sales planner. Be ready--and organized--to score bargains at the post-Thanksgiving sales!
To Read This Week
To Buy This Week
  • Continue Christmas gift shopping. Divide the master gift list into five sections. Purchase gifts for one-fifth of the list entries. Wrap gifts as they are purchased. Keep a running total of gift expenditures.
  • Stock up on non-perishable holiday staples.
  • Freezer entrees
To Print This Week

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
or visit the meal assembly franchise to put 5 to 10 pre-made entrees into the freezer.

Haha! I thought this was amusing because I'm nor working at "the meal assembly franchise."

On another note...I had to do a major freezer and refrigerator clean out to have room for the food for the wedding I catered, so I'm good to go with room in both.

Thanksgiving will be at DS's house this year, so I talked with them today and now know what I will be taking. I'll be working on that this week as much as possible.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Baking has started with my mum making some of our Christmas biscuits yesterday,
Christmas cards are out, some are finished and I have to set some time aside this week to finish the others. I traditionally like to post those the first Monday of December.

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
I have a few extra freezer meals that I prepared in October and earlier this month for December. I still need to stamp envelopes.

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Desserts have been made... left out 2 I usually do but did 1 new one. don't know if I'll do the other one or not, we always have too much anyways.
DH made 3 chicken pot pies and one cherry pie to freeze too.
Cards need to be finished (missing a few) and gifts need to be wrapped but I'd say I'm in pretty good shape for now.