week three in the countdown

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

DebbiGall

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Christmas Countdown: Gifts and Giving Week

Week 3: November 5 - 11, 2017

Welcome to Gifts and Giving Week! It's the time we focus on gift lists, gift buying and gift wrapping.

A recent poll at our site shows that gift-buying wins out as the "biggest holiday organization challenge". During Gifts and Giving Week, we'll give you the tools to get on top of the gift list. Hint: more lists!

For many families, gift-giving is a prime source of holiday financial stress. We'll divide and conquer, spreading gift-buying over a four-week period, and tracking our purchases. Goal: a bountiful, yet sensible holiday free of the bust-your-budget credit card trap.

Ready? Let's get organized for great holiday gifts and giving!

To Do This Week
  • Divide entries on the master gift list into five groups. Continue shopping for Christmas gifts, and try to buy one-fifth of the gifts this week.
  • Start a stocking stuffers list. Tip: slip shopping bags over a coat hanger to store stuffers by recipient.
  • Divide the Christmas card list into five groups. Write and address the second group this week.
  • Review and renegotiate adult gift giving. Can you simplify your family's "unwritten rules? Draw names and set a price limit for a gift exchange. Could your family dispense with adult gifts in favor of gifts to charity or family service project?
  • When making gift lists for loved ones, make life easier the rest of the year by adding a birthday/anniversary calendar to your Christmas planner.
  • To ensure delivery, finish all catalog and online shopping. Print our catalog / Internet order tracker to keep on top of catalog purchases.
  • Use a three-hole punch to add a large manila envelope to the Christmas planner notebook. Place all receipts in the envelope to track purchases, provide for returns.
  • Mailing deadlines ahead! Set up a wrap and mail center to ease holiday mailing chores. You'll speed gift wrapping and parcel mailing with supplies all in one place.
  • Swapping with friends is a great way to share holiday gifts, crafts and decor. Will you swap with other members of online communities? Track swaps with free printable swaps directory and swaps tracker forms for your Christmas planner.
  • List all gifts to make, and inventory them on a gifts to make list. Be stern! Make your list and cut it in half--there's less time than you think. List needed materials and add them to the master shopping list.
  • Begin working on "to make" gifts this week. You must make one-fourth of your gifts each week.
  • Plan Thanksgiving Dinner using the holiday menu planner.
  • Order the turkey.
  • Schedule family service projects, or sign up for church charity efforts.
  • Complete holiday scheduling. Reserve baby-sitters for December's nights out.
  • Keep tight tabs on the holiday budget. Add gift purchases and other expenditures as you make them.
To Read This Week
To Buy This Week
  • Continue Christmas gift shopping. Divide the master gift list into five sections. Purchase gifts for one-fifth of the list entries. Wrap gifts as they are purchased. Keep a running total of gift expenditures.
  • Buy materials and supplies for all "to make" gifts.
  • Gift wrap, wrap and mailing supplies
To Print This Week

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
Thanks, Debbie. I'm trying, but not being very successful this year with this part-time job I'm working after my regular job. I guess I should try to do more online shopping...I hate online shopping. lol

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
I giggle when I read....start a stocking stuffer list. Who ever wrote this has obviously not come across the good folk from MHH!;)

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana

I love it! I thought the same thing when I read Katrina's post.

The Christmas Countdown was the original plan I found when I decided that there had to be a better way to "do" Christmas. I started looking for something to help me around the beginning of November one year and found it. Since then, I've done the other two plans, but most years, this is the one that fits my lifestyle the best. Maybe, when I retire, I'll work through the others again.

Reactions: Holiday_Mom

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Ooops.
I never was a member of any other site. When I was searching for help to get me better organised for Christmas I came straight to MHH.
Hopefully original owner of said Christmas countdown will forgive me......

DebbiGall

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Cynthia started the organized Christmas site which had forums for years, due to family and health she had to close the forums so ginger brought us all over here so we could stay one big happy family.

Reactions: sweetpumkinpye

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
Like Miss Jane, I started with the Christmas Countdown over at the Organized Christmas Forums. Once I felt like I got Christmas planning under better control, I moved over to HHP. I still use this though for reminders of things I may still need to do. Still working on cards, gifts and stocking stuffers this week!

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
I am glad that somehow we all managed to find our way here and became the loving family that we are. Grateful.