What am I making for Halloween Dinner?

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Cindylouwho

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
A last-minute change in plans has me with 5 kids coming to my house to launch for trick-or-treating (see what happens when kids get a little older and start plotting Halloween on their own?). I want to feed them something warm and yummy (with protein) for dinner. Easy solution is pizza but I'd really like to do a warm beef stew with crusty bread or something festive. Maybe a pot of chili? I should stick with the pizza, huh. I'd do Hot Dogs but my kids only like them grilled and it is pouring rain and little cold outside here in the Northwest (nothing compared to you East Coasters) so the grill is out. Thinking hot cocoa/apple cider for when they get back. What have you made that has been a hit at Halloween?

jinglemom

Retire Member
Oct 16, 2007
My friend usually has our family and several others over so the kids can go trick or treating together. She usually has nacho cheese in a crock pot along with different toppings for nachos, taquitos, chicken wings and mini pigs in a blanket made with ****tail franks and biscuits. I saw a nice idea on pinterest to make cheeseburgers but cut the cheese like a jack-o-lantern. If you decide on the pizza and make it yourself, you could also shape it in the shape of a jack-o-lantern and use pepperoni for the face. Or you could just make a macaroni and cheese.

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Grilled cheese sandwiches (with eyes & mouth), + tomato soup (orange). Brownies and make a ghost with powdered sugar on it (use a stencil you make from freezer paper).

Cindylouwho

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
Thanks Jinglemom and LuluDou -- those are great ideas! I ended up running out of time and I was pretty much caught without the proper groceries so it was Papa Murphies Pizza this year as it was standing next to the store that carried the Vampire Teeth. :) Pizza was fine but not very theme-filled. Like the idea of cutting and stenciling faces. I'm keeping all of these ideas for next year!

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
I have made Octopus with EyeBalls for Halloween since my kids were little. Hot dogs cut up 3/4 of the way so they have legs and then Mac and Cheese made with shell macaroni. You dump a bag of frozen peas in with the cooking macaroni so they go into the opening in the shell. Always fun to make. I have had problems finding shells that are gluten free so just use what I have on hand.4DBC3D53-A4B0-412F-9D5B-C4E4F41C578B.jpeg

frostythesnowman

Premiere Member
May 4, 2013
uk
I have made Octopus with EyeBalls for Halloween since my kids were little. Hot dogs cut up 3/4 of the way so they have legs and then Mac and Cheese made with shell macaroni. You dump a bag of frozen peas in with the cooking macaroni so they go into the opening in the shell. Always fun to make. I have had problems finding shells that are gluten free so just use what I have on hand.View attachment 2659
Looks yummy!

Reactions: Ahorsesoul

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
Frozen pizza or hot dogs wrapped up like a mummy (using rolled out croissant dough like bandages) have been made in the past. If I can find Halloween shaped pasta in speciality food sections, I will splurge for that and serve it on Halloween.

Lori K

Premiere Member
Nov 13, 2018
Illinois
If I can find Halloween shaped pasta in speciality food sections, I will splurge for that and serve it on Halloween.
Check TJ Maxx, Marshalls, or Home Goods, if you have them nearby. I've seen them at Home Goods in recent weeks.