What Are You Reading Right Now?

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register
Status
Not open for further replies.

CanadianJingles

Retire Member
Oct 13, 2007
Never hurts to check out our friends' bookshelves for ideas for our own reading.
What book are you reading right now?

CanadianJingles

Retire Member
Oct 13, 2007
I am reading The Story of Edgar Sawtelle by David Wroblewski.

It was a bit scattered in the first 50 pages, but improved after that. I'm only 160 pages in, but I'm having one challenge in that I can't figure out how old he is during the early part of the story (like when they see the stray or he helps deliver the puppies.)

Reactions: Ahorsesoul

halimer

Premiere Member
Aug 30, 2008
Long Island, NY
1632 by Eric Flint - a sci-fi alternate universe

also - the latest Diana Galbadon on my Kindle along with War and Peace and the Bible.

I'm a somewhat eclectic reader:)

happy2bme

Premiere Member
Oct 18, 2007
My Happy Place
I just went to my library's website and Angels at Christmas by Debbie Macomber is in. I will pick it up tomorrow and start reading it. Love her!!

sew-n-sew

Retire Member
Dec 31, 2008
I rarely read fiction and usually have a few books going at one time. I just finished "How God Wants Us to Worship Him" and am almost done with "Why We're Not Emergent". My book club starts Sarah Palin's book next week so I'll be doing that with them over the next few months. I have "48 Days to the Work You Love" waiting on me, too.

foxpaw

Retire Member
Oct 13, 2007
I am currently reading Debbie Macomber's 92 Pacific Boulevard, the 9th in her Cedar Cove series and "The Time of My Life" by Patrick Swayze and Lisa Niemi.

Waiting for "29 Gifts: How a Month of Giving can Change Your Life" by Cami Walker from the library...should be her within the week.

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Canadian Jingles do you like that book? I know the reviews were good... but I just couldn't finish it.

I finished reading 'Germs' by Robert liparulo yesterday - bioterrorism thriller.

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
I'm reading The Probable Future by Alice Hoffman.

CanadianJingles

Retire Member
Oct 13, 2007
Canadian Jingles do you like that book? I know the reviews were good... but I just couldn't finish it.

I struggled through the first 50 pages. I thought it skipped around onto side stories too much and a lot of stuff that didn't seem relevant like the history of the farm. I'm at the part where his father has died. It's a little slow right now, but not bad.

Any idea how many pages into it you got?

MissBrittany

Santa's Elves
Aug 25, 2008
Florida
Jesus, the One and Only by Beth Moore

Having a Mary Heart in a Martha World by Joanna Weaver

Just finished yesterday Not a Sparrow Falls by Linda Nichols

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
I must've read around 100 pages... then I gave back to its owner (she didn't read it either).

MissBrittany

Santa's Elves
Aug 25, 2008
Florida
Oh, and for those who haven't heard of it, Goodreads.com is a great place to read and write reviews and see ratings for those you are interested in.

Reactions: PamelaG

AnnieClaus

Premiere Member
Nov 6, 2007
Southern Arizona
Right now I am reading the 1st book in the Mitford series: A Home in Mitford.
It is very sweet.

Plus trying to catch up with all my magazine reading! You think having 6.5 weeks off I would have gone through a lot of magazines but alas, I did not.

Annie

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
I just finished Recovering Charles and started Going Rogue by Sarah Palin

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
In Nov of last year I was looking for something to read at the library. A book (Dark Lover) actually fell off the shelf in front of me so I figured I should read it. I was hooked. Now I am not a vampire fan, a romance fan or a fan of happy ever after stories. I am picky and want a good story line. JR Ward wrote the Black Dagger Brotherhood series and they have really caught a lot of fans. Some people are using them to spice up their relationships and others are looking for a 'brother' for themselves. (warning, adult reading material)

The Outlander series I read last year. I ordered them from the library and read the whole series one right after the other. Love them because they have a great story line wrapped around the characters. A friend and I have been reading these books since the first book came out in the early 90s. I have never been able to get into the Lord John books.

Happy Reading

LadyEvenstar

Retire Member
Oct 13, 2007
Southeastern PA
Right now I am reading The Queen Mother, The Official Biography which DH gave me for Christmas. It's quite a big book, as can be imagined, but very absorbing. It's rich with history but also very personal. I even shed a few tears last night when I came to the part where they found that her husband King George had died in his sleep. That's pretty rare for me, especially in a non-fiction book.

Colleen in PA

Retire Member
Aug 20, 2008
I just finished "Pirate Latitudes" by Michael Crichton - supposedly a finished book found after his death. It was OK - not nearly as good as his usual stuff.

Now I'm reading Shades of Grey by Jasper Fforde...I loved his Thursday Next series (alternate literary universe, a bit "out there") We'll see if this lives up to that.

I am also reading Homer & Langley by E.L. Doctorow...about two infamous hermit brothers on Fifth Ave...another odd one, but interesting so far (100 pages in)

I was totally spoiled this year and got a Kindle for Christmas - I love it!!! I think DH just wanted to get rid of the stacks of books in our family room! LOL!

Last edited:

Basket

Retire Member
Dec 25, 2007
Northern Germany
I´ll never get enough of Christmas :)
Still reading the Christmas Cookie Club from Ann Pearlman

and Fish and Fritz (sth about the British way of live) (it`s in German)

AnnieClaus

Premiere Member
Nov 6, 2007
Southern Arizona
Colleen in Pa- A friend at work got a Kindle for Christmas too! She showed me how it works- pretty cool!

I like that you can get magazines and newspapers and audio books!

Annie

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Colleen in Pa - I like the Michael Chrichton books too (... didn't know he died though). Ahorsesoul that dark lover book looks good too.

Status
Not open for further replies.