When do you put up your Tree?

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

When do you put up your Christmas Tree?

• Before Thanksgiving

Votes: 3 9.4%
  • Thanksgiving Day or the weekend after

Votes: 21 65.6%
  • First weeks of December

Votes: 7 21.9%
  • Christmas Eve or Christmas Day

Votes: 1 3.1%

• Total voters

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
Thought I'd start a poll to see when you put up your tree or when you'd like to be putting up your tree. Life does get in the way sometimes.

ChristmasPir8

Premiere Member
Nov 8, 2008
La La Land
Traditionally it goes up Thanksgiving (or at least some decorations) and continues on for a while. That said with Thanksgiving late and other things going on I think it may go up early this year.

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
Normally ours goes up the day after Thanksgiving but since it is late this year and we will be gone that week I plan to get started this weekend so it's done before we leave.

goodpace

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Elizabeth City, NC
Tricky question! Which one; the main family tree? I have a tree in almost every room of the house (Yes, bathrooms too)! This year I'm working top to bottom of the house....sort of. DD's bedrooms, my bedroom, office, and bathroom Thanksgiving weekend. Then basement family room, and guest room first week of Dec. Then Dining rm, kitchen, powder rm and finally the gathering room (which is next to the kitchen/breakfast room) which gets the big fresh cut tree with the family ornies and tree skirt for the kitties to snuggle into. Hoping to have it up by Dec. 7 or 8. Wish me luck! :D

Winged One

Retire Member
Sep 2, 2008
Fluttering happily in the clouds!!
We don't "do" Thanksgiving in Ireland (although, I usually do a mid-week after work version of a roast turkey dinner on the day). But it also means we don't have that long weekend to play with.

If we are staying here, I will get a real tree either at the school fair (2nd weekend of December) or from another local supplier (local sports clubs sell them, and I have a few suppliers who do it as well as their regular business like F&V shop - I don't like to buy from the trailer on the side of the street type operations). We might put it up that weekend or the following weekend, or maybe even mid-week - all depending on how manic we all are. But it's usually well up before the weekend before Christmas.

The years we travel, the fake tree comes out of the attic anytime between 1-15th December, realistically. Again, we tend to do it on a weekend, but some years it has been mid-week. This year, I am actually thinking of the weekend of 7th December - as DD and I are at home with not too much on (an art project on Saturday afternoon, school fair on Sunday afternoon - and regular weekly sports training both mornings), and it would be a nice surprise when DH gets home the following weekend (when we still have training both mornings, but DD has 2 Santa parties in the afternoon - my office and one of her sports clubs, 1st Communion preparation mass on Sunday (which we HAVE to get to, rather than the regular mass we try to get to before training but can miss), and potentially the Santa steam train trip for us all that afternoon - and is our last weekend in this city before travelling so any last buying that DH or DD want to do needs to get done - I can still grab things midweek around work).

So I think, realistically, having it done before DH comes home is the best option. In fact, we may even do it the afternoon he goes (1st Dec) to distract ourselves and get to enjoy it longer.

Oh, and while our temporary landlords for Christmas have said they will put up a little tree in the cottage, I anticipate bringing a few decorations with us and doing something in our first few days to make it festive and keep DD occupied! (So, between 20th and 24th).

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
If this were a normal year, I would try to have the main tree up, branches "fluffed" and maybe even the lights strung just BEFORE Thanksgiving.

Then all I would have to do on Thanksgiving Day or after shopping on Black Friday would be to put on ornaments, etc.

This year I have not purchased a replacement artificial tree yet. We had hoped to be moving back to our house by Christmas but due to never ending delays that is out. So although I may purchase the 12 footer we will ultimately be using next year - IF I find a stellar deal that is - I won't be putting THAT up this year. Disappointing, but there it is.

I am debating waiting until Thanksgiving Day/BF to purchase one of the smaller, cheaper trees I've seen in the ad previews. That way we have a tree for the apartment this year and next year I'll just use it somewhere else in the house.

My goal will be to have the tree purchased, up and decorated by the end of Thanksgiving Weekend. :)

Sugarplum

MHH Member
Jan 4, 2013
Florida
I like to start on Black Friday and be done with all the house decorating by Sunday.

Growing up we got a real tree and it wouldn't go up until like a week before Christmas so it wouldn't dry out. Hated having to wait! We would leave the tree up until January 6, so it was up for my sister's birthday on the 5th and "Little Christmas" or the Epiphany. I usually take down the tree on New Year's Day. Can't imagine not having it for New Year's Eve!

My DH is amused by my decorating so early, his family didn't put up their tree until Christmas Eve.

Nanato3

Retire Member
May 19, 2013
Garland, TX
Mine usually goes up on Black Friday......that being said, with Thanksgiving so late this year, I am actually putting it up next weekend.

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
I try to do mine Thanksgiving weekend, but sometimes, it's the first weekend of December because our main tree is a live one.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Ours normally goes up the last weekend in November, that way we can enjoy it for all of December.

Puternut

Premiere Member
Apr 25, 2013
FL. USA
My tree stays up and decorated and covered with plastic and is stored in a walk-in closet along with my Xmas totes and huge wreaths for my front doors they hang on the walls also covered, my inside is decorated now working on the outside, I will wheel the tree out right after T-day, and hange my Xmas wreaths same day after removing my T-day wreaths from my doors (I made my wreaths also)

Gidget

Premiere Member
Nov 24, 2007
Boston
Greetings all,

It is nice to hear about all of the different tree-decorating traditions. We put our tree up the day before Christmas Eve, and decorate it Christmas Eve afternoon. We have a Christmas tea while decorating, then off to mass, and back home for our Christmas Eve dinner & party. We keep the tree up in full celebration for the 12 days of Christmas.

Cheers!

Gidget-

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
Gidget. What a lovely Tradition.

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
The trees go up either the day after Thanksgiving or the Saturday after all depends on the weather. If the weather will be the niceset the day after Thanksgiving then we will decorate the outside that day and put up the trees and decorate the inside the next day.

HouseElf

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Oct 12, 2007
Ontario, Canada
www.pinterest.com
Over the years the date has changed, the Christmas Eve tree and up till 12th Night is my preferred ... However I am outvoted and the Tree goes up December 1, and down the day after Boxing Day. More aligned with my husbands family tradition.

snowlvr

Retire Member
Oct 14, 2007
Western North Carolina
In the past our tree usually goes up the first week of Dec, but since my DD is older now and she loves to decorate, I let her get the tree out decorate it the day after Thanksgiving, then I do the rest of the house in fits and starts as time allows...I usually take it all down after Jan 1st. I don't know if it is a southern thing but many of our friends say it is bad luck to have the tree up on Jan 1st, but that has never bothered me :)

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Nice to hear about all the different traditions. I do not know if I could wait until Christmas Eve to put up my tree, I am too impatient.

Lana

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Southern Illinois
Ours was always started putting it up Wednesday night before Thanksgiving--eat pizza by candlelight---have it decorated by the end of Thanksgiving Day and the rest by week-end end. The last few years the tree has been up about this time of year so my nephew that comes from Texas can see it when here for deer season and Thanksgiving. This year tho with the shower and all I will probably get it up the Monday or Tuesday before.

Nice to see how everybody does it.

aggy

Santa's Elves
Oct 11, 2007
Baltimore, Maryland
One of my girlfriends told me that she has already put up her trees and will start decorating them next week. I am so tempted to put up my trees now. As soon as folks leave on Thanksgiving, I'm getting started.