Will you be spending more or less than last year?

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

conniemac

MHH Member
Oct 20, 2007
With the economy in a recession/depression, I'm finding it more and more difficult to find the money for Christmas this year. I have always done huge Christmas's but this year it will HAVE to be a frugal Christmas. I am planning on making/giving baked goods to relatives and making a memory box for my parents. My own kids, (ds15 & dd14) already understand that there will be few gifts under the tree. How about all of you? I really wish I was crafty but I was absent the day GOD was handing out that skill! I can barely manage the baking part! lol! Any frugal noncrafty gift ideas would be well appreciated!

Reactions: 1 person

Pam Spaur

Premiere Member
Jul 17, 2008
Muncie, IN
Since I retired 3 1/2 months ago, and am now on a very fixed income, I will be spending less this year. I have cut my list in half, and will only be doing family. Most of my spending will be on my grandkids.

Just a couple of ideas to get you started:
Google inexpensive gifts (or cheap or frugal), and you will get a miriad of ideas! Check Walmart and Big Lots (aka, Odd Lots) for dvds for $5 or less. Or books. I always check the sale/clearance end caps or racks whether it is clothes, socks, hats or whatever.

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Pam has a great idea with the $5 dvds... just add some popcorn and maybe you can mix some spices for the popcorn - a great movie basket. You can add some m&Ms, a throw, etc...

As for us, it'll be about the same as last year. I do try to shop during sales because I do many gifts.

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
I hope to spend less. I do need to order gifts for the grand kids and dh kids. I think the grand kids will get kites and their parents are getting the musical doorbells like we have. I'll order this now. No reason to wait. The kids have three sets of grandparents so they have way too much at Christmas so I send it in the summer. Usually in June or July but I'm running late this year.

Then we only have my DD and DS to find gifts. I usually do a few friends but we've cut way back the last few years.

Lana

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Southern Illinois
I am cutting a few out or down but they are being replaced by their 2 babies so...... I do make alot of gifts but still it all adds up. Don't know what I am doing for sure for gifts this year. I make foot lotion for people that goes over good and everybody likes it and then I do the Paula Deen seasoning that people like. Also I give canned apple pie filling, freezer strawberry jam, pickles, beets and salsa. But this year we didn't get an;y garden produce. To wet and then to dry.

MissBrittany

Santa's Elves
Aug 25, 2008
Florida
We are cutting back this year because of the baby and the expenses of DH's surgery and my root canal and crowns. I'm only working part-time til November so it will be smaller than years past.

halimer

Premiere Member
Aug 30, 2008
Long Island, NY
I've tried to make more stuff and I've been picking up generic gifts on sale throughout the year. Lots of "thank you" type gifts have always been, and will continue to be food. I''m going to try and make a spreadsheet of what ingredients I need so I can start picking things up.

ejagno

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Aug 31, 2010
SW Louisiana
Last year was an absolute nightmare regarding the financial aspect of Christmas. We refuse to use credit so everything is paid in cash. With DH laid off and me on worker's compensation it wasn't easy. This year is much better but I still attribute 99% of it to starting early to get the best deals.

HouseElf

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Oct 12, 2007
Ontario, Canada
www.pinterest.com
Hard to say - we really do not have a lot to spend this year, but would LIKE to pick up a big ticket item for my eldest son.

I think overall it will be about the same, minus sending gifts to extended family, or spending anything on each other.

Winged One

Retire Member
Sep 2, 2008
Fluttering happily in the clouds!!
I am aiming to spend a bit less than last year. There are a few off the list, but a few more had to get added. I am working on a lot of crafted presents and I picked up a good few bits in summer sales etc.

DD doesn't need anything especially big this year, so that will reduce it also. Although, I don't know yet if we are staying in our own house or travelling - so that will impact on the food budget (as I didn't have to get turkey etc last year).

But we are doing as we do every year- keeping it to cash spending and not using the credit cards (well, except in monthly money management as I use it some months but pay it in full every month).

Kim Loves Snow

Santa's Elves
Aug 3, 2008
Richmond, Virginia
I'm looking to spend less, especially on the boys. Not that I want to give them less, but I have found that I buy lots of little things so they have a lot to open and I've learned (1) They seem to enjoy a couple bigger items than a bunch of little items and (2) a lot of those little items often go unused so therefore a waste of time and money.

wvalice

Retire Member
Aug 19, 2008
I am hoping to spend less. I am trying really hard to earn free gift cards and things like that to help, plus I agree with Kim. I am going to try and cut down on the little gifts so much. My kids like having a lot to open, but some of it is just junky. They are 12 and 14, so they want BIG presents, too, that cost a lot so the little presents may have to go by the wayside!

Colleen in PA

Retire Member
Aug 20, 2008
I've cut down in the last few years with the adults - I finally got DH's family to agree to picking names like my family does (now if I could just get them to lower the target spending amount!) I still do stockings for everyone, but I pick up things year round and I'm officially DONE for this year - I just need to start wrapping them!

For the boys it is a struggle. My little guy doesn't really need anything - his favorite thing is TRAINS...and he inherited all of DS6's Thomas stuff (and believe me, we have tons since he was the first grandchild/nephew on both sides). I will pick up a few new trains/DVDs and I already have a couple of books, but other than that, it would just be buying to have packages under the tree. The problem is that DS6 will notice if there isnt "enough" even if DS2 is happy. Not sure how I'll manage that. Any ideas?

DS6 wants a game system this year. He still loves his Leapster, though, so I'm not looking to get him a DS or anything. DH is against anything that works off the TV. We'll see.

I am also planning to bake this year - I haven't gotten to it the past 2 years. I usually make lots of different cookies and give plates of them to family, friends, etc.

Great thread - its really making me think ahead!

Kim Loves Snow

Santa's Elves
Aug 3, 2008
Richmond, Virginia
Colleen - Could you package a couple of your older son's items together so that he is not opening so many more and the packages seem more balanced?

Kim Loves Snow

Santa's Elves
Aug 3, 2008
Richmond, Virginia
I am hoping to spend less. I am trying really hard to earn free gift cards and things like that to help, plus I agree with Kim. I am going to try and cut down on the little gifts so much. My kids like having a lot to open, but some of it is just junky. They are 12 and 14, so they want BIG presents, too, that cost a lot so the little presents may have to go by the wayside!

Our boys will be exactly those same ages at Christmas and I see it as a transition time from quantity to quality!

candysprinkles

Retire Member
Jan 29, 2011
Indiana
We will spend about the same amount this year as we did ast year. We budget the amount, save it up, have a garage sale to raise funds, shop all year to keep costs down, stock up on non-perishables, HBA and coupon items to give us more wiggle room in November and December. Our kids are getting older and their wants are getting more expensive, too. They will be 16, 14 and 7 this Christmas. Most years we travel to my parents in Florida or meet them halfway so we have vacation expensese, too.

dreamto

Premiere Member
Oct 24, 2007
We will be spending less this year. We have 20 to buy for. probably gonna have to skip the adults this year and only give the kids one gift each. BUT the whole family will be together over Thanksgiving and we will be having our Christmas on Friday :) So I'm just Thankful for that!!!!!

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
I plan to cut back this year, not because of a shortage, thank goodness, but because I go way overboard every year. I am thinking one big gift and a couple of small ones to go with it plus stocking stuffers, except for DDs because they still live at home, aren't married, and only get gifts from us. DS, DDIL, and DGSs all get from us plus DDIL's family and my ex's family. So DDs will get a few more small gifts. We never use credit cards...don't even have one. I have been putting money into our Christmas Club account and have already bought some gifts. I am finished with 2 nieces and both sisters.

Glenda

Retire Member
Dec 10, 2008
Virginia
My plan is to spend less this Christmas. I am trying not to "nickel and dime" it by buying my kids little odds and ends that add up and take up space. They'll get a couple of nice items that they want but not a lot of little things. I think this has been my downfall in years past.

I already have gifts for teachers purchased. I already have some items in my Gift Closet for younger children on my gift list.

Glenda

Last edited:

Saquilla

Retire Member
May 15, 2010
Perth, Australia
I'm trimming $10 from each present budget, which doesn't make much of a difference to the individual present (especially when looking for sales etc), but overall will save a couple of hundred dollars.

Mind you, I will probably still spend more this year anyway since I need a new tree (I threw out my old one after Christmas last year so I have no choice haha! It was a few years overdue for replacement though so I'm glad I did).