How Far Will You Go... To Celebrate Christmas In July?

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
Have you decided yet? How far WILL you go this year....... to celebrate Christmas in July?????

I have been procastinating for too long!

I have been "thinking about" doing a Christmas in July Family Party.... while ds, ddil and dgd are visiting. They will not be here at Christmas...... so this is a very special opportunity!

So.... what's the problem?

I guess the problem is...... "PERFECTIONISM"!!!!! I feel that I MUST get the house perfectly cleaned and decluttered..... BEFORE I can decide whether or not to get the tree down from the attic, wrap gifts, etc .

WHY do I think this?

I have NEVER had a "perfect Christmas". I've really never even heard of one! So.... WHY am I setting standards SO MUCH HIGHER than any of my family would ever expect? I LOVE Christmas..... and I NEVER think ANY PART OF IT.... has to be perfect!

So.... I guess I will go ahead and decide.... YES! I WILL do this!

teachermomof2

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Oct 27, 2007
PA
That's a great idea SN! I've been reading a lot this week about houses that looked "lived in" are much more inviting than picture perfect houses and more "homey". Life happens and your children don't expect perfection. They just value you, not your house.

peace...Lisa

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
With small kids in the house, my house will never be spotless or perfect but that's OK. As long as my kids feel safe and loved and have a fun then it's perfect to me.

We do things on a small scale for CIJ. A nice dinner and dessert, watch QVC CIJ and Christmas movies. The kids Magical Elves will make a 1 week appearance bearing small gifts.

Right now I am in the process of picking up these small gifts, trying to get a couple items that the kids can share and others specified to each child's likes.

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
Life's been to chaotic around here and a bit more serious this year, so I think I'll skip my big Scrapbooking Party I had last year. But I still need to look at the calendar and plan a dinner. By myself, I'll be posting on my blog everyday, making new recipes and crafting and gifting away. I look forward to it!

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
I too want to post something about Christmas on my blog each day... hope I can accomplish that! and work on some crafting, Christmas reading & christmas movies.

AnnieClaus

Premiere Member
Nov 6, 2007
Southern Arizona
I'm definetly going to be reading our Christmas in July Book selection- The Snowglobe.

Start getting my gift list together.

And I want to have a very special dinner for my family for CIJ, but not tell them it's for CIJ. Just for me to know in my heart.

Annie

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
I've "waded in"..... to the swamp of my guest room/office/Christmas-storage room! (It really is NOT a swamp anymore! It just isn't "perfect"...... far from it!!!!!)

I've emptied out the top drawer of the "storage dresser" in that room. It is taking quite a while to deal with each treasure from that drawer! Some of these things are future gifts. Some are being stored in other places. Some are being thrown away. Some are being donated.

The "Christmas In July Celebration" will include decorations and lights, a festive meal at a pretty table, and wrapped gifts for the children. Nothing "over the top"!!!!

Dreamer

Retire Member
Oct 29, 2007
Lawton, Oklahoma
SN - One of my aunts had the "perfectly kept" house when I was growing up..I mean it was spotless! I hated going over there because I always felt uncomfortable, what if I tracked dirt in or messed the frilly throw pillows up on the couch, none of my cousins friends wanted to go there either so we'd all meet up at Gram's which always looked lived in, it was inviting and comfy.

Dsis and I will be doing a christmas dinner and giving the boys small gifts that can be used in the summer, we've talked about setting up the little 1 foot tree and decorating it.

Merry

MHH Member
May 2, 2008
SparkleNana, I'm so glad you said that about the perfectionism and having the house perfectly cleaned and decluttered. That's how I use to feel...but not anymore! I'm going to celebrate this year with a dinner, movies and QVC!! Maybe try out a few recipes. I can hardly wait!

CATZILLA

Retire Member
Nov 3, 2010
West Gastonia, NC
I think I'll just buy this DVD for the family, go to festival that I mentioned in another thread & that will be it until the day after Thanksgiving. lol

candysprinkles

Retire Member
Jan 29, 2011
Indiana
We will do something, but I haven't decided exactly how elaborate it will be yet. I have some things in mind that I have already bought the supplies for...like making cinnamon dough ornaments and gumdrop Christmas trees.

Just found out hubby is losing his job at the beginning of July...so that could put a real damper on the Christmas spirit. We are going on a spur of the moment road trip to California the first week of July, also. The company is paying him to drive the company truck to the branch office there. It will be nice to drive across the country and spend time with just dh-no kids- and to NOT have to pay for the trip. But, there is also a lot of stress and unknowns with the job loss.

I guess we will be keeping it to a holiday dinner, some Christmas movies and crafts. I already have everything I need for all of that...so I will try to swing a small souveneir/gift for each kid and my parents who will be keeping the kids for us during the trip.

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
I never knew a Rudolph Christmas in July existed. That's a must have and definately something fun to watch in July.

And I agree with the perfectionism thing. Just take some time to have some fun. I know it's easier said then done and I do better sometimes then others, but I put it in my head that July is CIJ for me. Just makes me happy, so I make it happen. Even with the laughs and snickers behind my back!

thechristmasnut

Retire Member
Jun 30, 2008
Columbus, Ohio
Im probably going to put out a small tree and a few decorations. Have a family dinner, maybe make some christmas ornaments with the kids. Then snuggle up on the couch and watch a christmas movie.

Grammyk

Retire Member
Jan 14, 2008
We are celebrating at work. 5-8 Favorite candy week
On the 5th bring your favorite Christmas candy along with the recipe

11-15 Favorite appetizer or dip with chips or crackers
On the 11th bring your favorite dip with chips or crackers or appetizer Don’t forget the recipe

18-22 Choose your favorite Christmas Dinner food and sign up to bring it to the staff meeting with the recipe and we will keep the leftovers to enjoy all week.

18th STAFF MEETING DAY SO CLEAR YOUR CALANDER FROM 10AM TO 1PM
10AM CHART AUDIT
11AM STAFF MEETING
12NOON EAT
meat I WILL BE BRING TURKEY, (REMEMBER THIS IS CHRISTMAS IN JULY)
Veggie
Potatoes
Salad
Dessert
Can be more than one of any of these.

25-29th HOLLYWOOD WEEK
Do a little research on this: your favorite actor or actress’s tradition they might have done or meal item they always served at their family Christmas dinner. Might have been a movie they always had their family watch. Etc

Everyon have some fun.

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
Just found out hubby is losing his job at the beginning of July...so that could put a real damper on the Christmas spirit.

I wish you and DH lots of luck with what ever door opens with this job door closing. Something great is coming your way. Hang in there.

I guess the problem is...... "PERFECTIONISM"!!!!! I feel that I MUST get the house perfectly cleaned and decluttered..... BEFORE I can decide whether or not to get the tree down from the attic, wrap gifts, etc .

I've done an about face about the perfection cleaning. If I put up the tree first than the cleaning just happens because the tree provides the motivation.

ChristmasPir8

Premiere Member
Nov 8, 2008
La La Land
Last year was my first CiJ so I had lots of thoughts in my head and didn't pull anyof them off. This year I would like to think ahead and do a few things. Maybe pull out a small tree (table top kind) and have the elves show up maybe once or twice a week.

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
I have pulled everything ou of my closet....... and it is unbelieveable how much stuff was in there! Of course... it was packed in so tightly.... that only the top level was visible! It is "very sobering" to realize that I have much too much! Going through things will be...... hhhhmmmmm. ...... a very big job. Oh well..... Baby Steps, I guess!

ChristmasPir8

Premiere Member
Nov 8, 2008
La La Land
SN-I have been putting off my bedroom closet for so long. I admire you right now. I really need to get in there. I am not sure if I am going to pull it all out at once or by shelf. It will be my summer project.