Random Acts of Christmas Kindness, Random Acts of Kindness, and Pay It Forward Ideas

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

liltattoo

MHH Member
Oct 22, 2007
Hey everybody,

It has been a loooonnng time since I've posted in here. A lot has been going on so I haven't been in here much lately. I was on Pinterest the other day and came across a pin for Random Acts of Christmas Kindness. I thought it was really neat and I think I would like to try something like that. However, the one thing I always dislike about these things is that once the holidays are over, it's back to business as usual. So, I'd like to try to keep the magic alive for 365 days, starting in January (I'll probably start early with December because 'tis the season after all!)

The problem is, I am soooo not creative enough to come up with 365 things to do. I can repeat some of course but if I'm going to do this, I'd like to keep things fresh so that it's even more exciting because everything is always new. This is why I decided to come here. Who better to ask for ideas than the creative geniuses that frequent this forum?! I have always been amazed at the amound of ideas that circulate around here and I just know I'll get the help I need.

So, will y'all help me out? I need ideas on things to do for RAKs and to create a few PIF moments. I'd like to do something different for each season and also the major holidays that we have throughout the year. Obviously, I wouldn't give someone a winter hat in July but I could offer up a ballcap. I'd prefer most of the ideas be small and inexpensive in nature. We don't have a lot of extra money to spare but big ideas are welcome, if for no other reason than to generate ideas. Who knows, I may hit the lottery one day and be able to do the "dream big" ideas suggested here.

I look forward to hearing all of the wonderful ideas that I know will be submitted here and I invite you all to join me in my quest to do one good deed a day for a year. If that's not possible, maybe once a week or once a month. I really think we could all use some good cheer in our lives right now and who better than us Christmas enthusiasts to do it?

Please won't you help me by giving me some ideas? Thanks everyone!

AnnieClaus

Premiere Member
Nov 6, 2007
Southern Arizona
liltatto-
Here is something for February (Valentines Day)-

It's called- Smacking (as in kissing) people.

I made a bag of goodies- (trial size) lotion, lip gloss, candy, gum, socks, (travel size) bubble bath. All in red and pink colors.
Printed out a pair of lips (looking like a kiss) on pink paper and said:

You have been SMACKED. Now it is your turn to smack someone else.

A lot of the girls at work had fun with this for a couple of weeks.

My CW, Carol said she knew right away it was me that started it because she said, "Who else would give someone Valentine socks?"

We had fun!!!!!!

I got the idea when I was teaching- someone "Smacked" me during Halloween time.

Annie

P.S. Nice to see you posting!

Last edited:

AnnieClaus

Premiere Member
Nov 6, 2007
Southern Arizona
Have you heard of boom boom cards? Here is a little something about them:

With Boom Boom! Cards, you perform underground acts of guerilla goodness, post about the experience (pictures and video too!) on this website, and then pass the card on to someone else. Each card’s unique ID number makes it possible to follow every card that’s played on the website’s map. With Boom Boom! Cards, you never know where your one act of kindness may end up!

You buy the deck of cards, and on each card is a RAK to perform. I have a deck and this post has inspired me to get going on this.

Here is their website:
http://boomboomcards.com/

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
I will pay for people's library fines when I'm at the library and overhear they owe something. I leave big tips when I'm at the hairdressers or out to eat. I always stop to buy a glass of lemonade when kids have their stands in front of their house.

You can always pay for the persons order behind you at the drive thru or buy a small gift card at the coffee shop and then hand it to the person behind you or have the cashier give it to them.

Another thing I do is tell cashiers or other store workers "thanks for working today". This one thing seems to stop people in their tracks. They always say thank you and it seems to make their day.

Once we had someone hand us two tickets to see a play when we were standing in line to buy them. Was really cool for us.

Kim Loves Snow

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Aug 3, 2008
Richmond, Virginia
My friend had someone pay for her McDonald's breakfast order last Christmas Eve (I never thought to ask her why she was at McDonald's on Christmas Eve!) and just recently, my DH and I were driving to Ohio for a funeral and a church van was in front of us and paid our $2 toll. That meant a lot to us so I'm on board for trying it this upcoming year!

Some days I feel like an act of kindness for me could be as simple as someone letting me into traffic when I have my blinker on!

The other thing that I've thought about doing and have not done but really need to do, is to hand a cash tip in an envelope to the sweet lady who brings us chips and salsa at our favorite Mexican restaurant. She is always smiling and I appreciate that.

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
Kim I think the salsa lady would be so honored.

ChristmasPir8

Premiere Member
Nov 8, 2008
La La Land
A lot of great ideas here. You could make sure mail carrier and delivery drivers have cold water on hot days. There are other holiday versions of what Annie did. A sincere thank you goes a long way. Let the manager know when a associate does a good job they mostly hear bad stuff. Let corporate know if a location is always going a good job. Pay on someone's gas purchase (doesn't have to be all even $5 towards it) if there is street parking feed a past due meter. You could make little cards from notecards saying the person has been RAKD and suggest they pay it forward.

ejagno

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Aug 31, 2010
SW Louisiana
Random acts of kindness begins at home.

Put a sweet note in DH's pocket.
Tell someone how much they mean to you.
Help a neighbor weed their garden.
Bring an elderly neighbor some bread pudding or treat.
If you have grandchildren, offer to babysit for Black Friday.
If you work, bring a deserving co-worker a rose from your garden/store.
Mail a sweet letter and card to your favorite Aunt or Uncle.
Call a long distance acquaintance you haven't been in touch with.
Text your brothers and sisters "Just to say I love you!"
Cook a few extra freezer meals and send them with the kids/neighbors or anyone who works long hours and deserves a break.

sunshine

Retire Member
Jun 23, 2008
Some things I've done:

~ left the change in the vending machine, after I've made my purchase

~ spent the afternoon at the local nursing home doing "manicures" soaking nails and applying polish

~ took flower cuttings from my garden to a church member who had just returned home from the hospital

~ left bags of garden produce on the door knobs of the senior housing center in our town ( got caught once and was thanked profusely for providing fresh produce and helping reduce the grocery bill)

~ hand knitted hats/scarves/mittens for the local homeless shelter

~ hand crocheted baby layetts for the local crisis pregnancy center

AnnieClaus

Premiere Member
Nov 6, 2007
Southern Arizona
Great lists everyone's coming up with!

One thing that I do quite often and it really takes little time or money. If someone is sick, has surgery, or is in the middle of a hectic schedule, I make a meal.

Everyone gets the same thing:

* Pasta shells with meat sauce
* Parmeson cheese (in the can)
* A loaf of garlic bread
* (Sometimes)- I'll throw in a bag of salad greens, a tomato, cucumber and a bottle of ranch dressing.

I also tell them they can keep the rubbermaid container- I get those Glad or Ziplock containers that come in a pack of 2.

You would not believe how shocked people are when you hand them a home cooked meal.

Annie

sunshine

Retire Member
Jun 23, 2008
Great lists everyone's coming up with!

One thing that I do quite often and it really takes little time or money. If someone is sick, has surgery, or is in the middle of a hectic schedule, I make a meal.

Everyone gets the same thing:

* Pasta shells with meat sauce
* Parmeson cheese (in the can)
* A loaf of garlic bread
* (Sometimes)- I'll throw in a bag of salad greens, a tomato, cucumber and a bottle of ranch dressing.

I also tell them they can keep the rubbermaid container- I get those Glad or Ziplock containers that come in a pack of 2.

You would not believe how shocked people are when you hand them a home cooked meal.

Annie

Our church arranges meals for those coming home from the hospital, had a baby, for 2 weeks following a funeral, etc.

AnnieClaus

Premiere Member
Nov 6, 2007
Southern Arizona
sunshine- That's very nice.

Annie

liltattoo

MHH Member
Oct 22, 2007
Thanks for all of the great ideas everyone and keep them coming! I will definitely write them down and incorporate them into next year. My oldest daughter (8) is just starting to try her hand at making hats using one of those round looms. If she likes doing it and gets good at it, she might end up being my little hat helper!

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
For those who can do it, shovel a neighbors sidewalk when it snows or clean off a windshield.

Make up little packs of the snowman soup to randomly hand out.

Make up little bags with small pack of tissues and a bottle of hand santizer to hand out.

If you make or bake something that others rave about - share the receipe

Deliver a newspaper or magazine to someone who is house bound or sick.