Spooky Reads?

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Colleen in PA

Retire Member
Aug 20, 2008
So, I usually re-read one of the classic horror novels around this time of year...Dracula, Frankenstein, Phantom, etc...but I'm craving something new this year. Any suggestions?

I'm thinking about NOS4A2 by Joe Hill (Stephen King's son) but it's 700 pages!. Ordinarily that wouldn't deter me, but I've never read any of his other books and I'm not sure I believe the hype (since he has dad's advertising budget)

What are your favorite horror stories?

halimer

Premiere Member
Aug 30, 2008
Long Island, NY
From Stephen King I'd read Salem's Lot. Very good.

If you REALLY want to be scared read something by HP Lovecraft. That stuff terrified me!

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Here is what comes to mind for me:

The Woman in White by Wilkie Collins - Classic thriller :)

The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova - Outstanding book, but LONG! This one is a vampire book - told from three perspectives/time frames so it can be complex but it is so good I've reread it several times. Chilling!!!

The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield - A good ghost story!

Rebecca's Tale by Sally Beauman - Downright creepy at times, this continuation of the story of Daphne Du Maurier's characters from Rebecca is wonderfully done!

And finally, not super scary but good reading especially for this time of year:

A Discovery of Witches by Deborah Harkness

halimer

Premiere Member
Aug 30, 2008
Long Island, NY
I second the Historian and A Discovery of Witches!

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
I just remembered a truly spooky book I read years ago, Heart Shaped Box by Joe Hill!

Colleen in PA

Retire Member
Aug 20, 2008
Here is what comes to mind for me:
The Woman in White by Wilkie Collins - Classic thriller :)
The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova - Outstanding book, but LONG! This one is a vampire book - told from three perspectives/time frames so it can be complex but it is so good I've reread it several times. Chilling!!!
The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield - A good ghost story!
Rebecca's Tale by Sally Beauman - Downright creepy at times, this continuation of the story of Daphne Du Maurier's characters from Rebecca is wonderfully done!
And finally, not super scary but good reading especially for this time of year:
A Discovery of Witches by Deborah Harkness

Aunt Jamelle - Thank you for the recs...I have read the first 3...The Historian is a favorite. We actually read The Thirteenth Tale for my family book club! I will check out Rebecca's Tale (I liked the original) and I have heard very good things about Discovery of Witches...so will add that to my list!!!

Last edited:

Colleen in PA

Retire Member
Aug 20, 2008
Thank you everyone for all of the suggestions! I can't wait to check them all out.

Debbie - I love Salem's Lot! I think classic King is better than his newer stuff. I will check out some of the Lovecraft.

DebbiGall - Koontz seems to be very popular! Is Wintermoon your favorite?

DebbiGall

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Wintermoon by Dean Koontz

when I read this book, my husband got up about 4:00 in the morning and asked if I was coming to bed. I told him i was waiting for him to go to the bathroom because I was afraid to walk by the window by my self. When you read one of Dean Koontz books you can't put it down. All of his books have made #1 on the best sellers list. he is a brilliant writer. very twisty and some times very scary. This one will curl your toes.
I love Dean Koontz's books.
I love his Odd Tomas books but you need to read those in order or they won't make much sense to you.

Last edited:

Colleen in PA

Retire Member
Aug 20, 2008
Jessica - Good to know it's not just hype because of his dad!!!

purplecrush

Premiere Member
I don't have any books to add to this list, but this is exactly what I was looking for today! Im trying to get into the "Halloween" mood and this is just what I needed. Just put all the books you guys recommended on my library list.

About the H. P. Lovecraft....any one better than the other? There are quite a few to chose from :)

Thank you!

halimer

Premiere Member
Aug 30, 2008
Long Island, NY
Lovecraft did a series based in a certain world. I'll try and find the titles for you.

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
I just started the Heart Shaped Box. Will be up late tonight. lol

Colleen in PA

Retire Member
Aug 20, 2008
I don't have any books to add to this list, but this is exactly what I was looking for today! Im trying to get into the "Halloween" mood and this is just what I needed. Just put all the books you guys recommended on my library list.

Purplecrush...here is a list I posted on Facebook of some of my favorites...a few have already been discussed here.
...in no particular order: Dracula - Bram Stoker
Frankenstein - Mary Shelley
The Legend of Sleepy Hollow - Washington Irving (check out some of his other tales, as well)
The Halloween Tree - Ray Bradbury
Something Wicked This Way Comes - Ray Bradbury
The Turn of The Screw - Henry James
The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde - Robert Louis Stevenson
The Invisible Man - H.G. Wells
The Picture of Dorian Gray - Oscar Wilde (not really Halloween, but creepy)
Rosemary's Baby - Ira Levin (it takes a while to get into this one, but worth it in the end)
The Phantom of the Opera - Gaston Leroux
Ghost Story - Peter Straub (one of my dad's favorites)
The Haunting of Hill House - Shirley Jackson (of The Lottery fame)
I Am Legend - Richard Matheson (far superior and very different from the movie of the same name)
The Exorcist - William Peter Blatty (while a truly horrifying, i.e., "awesome" movie, I am still partial to the book)
The Historian - Elizabeth Kostova
Let the Right One In - John Ajvide Lindqvist
Just about anything by Edgar Allan Poe - Fall of the House of Usher, Tell-Tale Heart, etc. (really, any Halloween fan should have a copy of his "complete" works - you can't go wrong)
Salem's Lot - Stephen King (most of his novels could make this list, but I often hate his endings...this one is a classic if you like Vampires)

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
I wasn't online much today because I spent the day reading A Discovery of Witches. Love the author's writing style. Thought the story was just ok. Now back to the Heart Shaped Box.

winters momma

MHH Member
Sep 10, 2013
Houston, Texas
I was reading yesterday that Stephen King's new book (i can't remember the name) is the sequel to the shining. The article said the book is really good. It follows the son as an adult.

I don't read scary books anymore. I won't ever sleep if i do. : )

Nanato3

Retire Member
May 19, 2013
Garland, TX
The sequel to The Shining is called "Dr. Sleep". It sounds really good.