Happy Canadian Thanksgiving

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
Wishing all the people in Canada a Happy Thanksgiving this weekend.
What are you doing?

FrostyShimmer

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
I love thanksgiving, even though it's been so warm this fall it hardly feels like it's time yet.
We're going to a pumpkin patch and a corn maze this weekend, then having family over for turkey dinner with all the trimmings. I'm making pumpkin pie and apple pie.

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
We don't really celebrate Thanksgiving here but it is a long weekend and in our town there is a small White-Geese festival. I'm having family over for the weekend to spend some time at the festival.

girlsinmo

Premiere Member
Jan 1, 2008
MO
Have fun Lucie & FS at your Canadian Thanksgiving festivities :)

tanya

Premiere Member
Jan 8, 2012
Thanksgiving is not celebrated in Australia so apart from lots of things to do with turkey and pumpkin... I don't really know much about it. I hope that everyone has a wonderful time just being with family and friends.

happy2bme

Premiere Member
Oct 18, 2007
My Happy Place
My kids are going to visit their grandparents and will be gone Sunday and Monday.

I am not sure if they are going to have a turkey dinner or not. I might cook one for when they get home Monday night.

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
Hoping all of you Canadian friends celebrate it however makes you happy!!

Snowey

Premiere Member
We are invited to DH's nieces house, the first time we have celebrated a Canadian thanksgiving in over ten years ! I am making corn casserole and SIL is making a trifle !! It will be nice to be with family :)

FrostyShimmer

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
Luludou - Is Thanksgiving not a big deal in all of Quebec, or just your area?

I'd say it's pretty big in the Maritimes.....we have quite a few friends travelling home from Ontario to celebrate with family here. DH's family is from Newfoundland and always used to do a jiggs dinner. I miss that.

halimer

Premiere Member
Aug 30, 2008
Long Island, NY
Wishing you all fun, food, family and friends for Thanksgiving!

happy2bme

Premiere Member
Oct 18, 2007
My Happy Place
Nancy - I am so happy that you will be with family for Thanksgiving - have a wonderful time.

I was at the grocery store this morning and got a few goodies for me while the kids are away visiting the grandparents.

I may even have a pizza delivered - how decadent.

HouseElf

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Oct 12, 2007
Ontario, Canada
www.pinterest.com
Loving this weekend! Thanksgiving is a wonderful holiday here. :turkey2:

Home from the pumpkin patch - picked two pig pumpkins - now sitting very pretty on the porch. Our Turkey is 'resting' in the fridge and a few squash from the farm are roasting in the oven :)

Tomorrow I will bake the pies, and prepare most dishes ahead of time - just leaving the turkey and the potatoes till Monday to cook.

My husband has requested just us for Thanksgiving dinner (and Christmas) this year - so it will be a wonderfully relaxed time!

We will eat Monday afternoon, around 'normal' dinner hour. We plan on going for a walk along the canal - it's beautiful weather right now, and after dinner playing some board games as we 'make room' for pie!

Happy Happy Thanksgiving!

happy2bme

Premiere Member
Oct 18, 2007
My Happy Place
Loving this weekend! Thanksgiving is a wonderful holiday here. :turkey2:

Home from the pumpkin patch - picked two pig pumpkins - now sitting very pretty on the porch. Our Turkey is 'resting' in the fridge and a few squash from the farm are roasting in the oven :)

Tomorrow I will bake the pies, and prepare most dishes ahead of time - just leaving the turkey and the potatoes till Monday to cook.

My husband has requested just us for Thanksgiving dinner (and Christmas) this year - so it will be a wonderfully relaxed time!

We will eat Monday afternoon, around 'normal' dinner hour. We plan on going for a walk along the canal - it's beautiful weather right now, and after dinner playing some board games as we 'make room' for pie!

Happy Happy Thanksgiving!

Your Thanksgiving plans sound wonderful.

I hope you and your family have a really great day.

teachermomof2

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Oct 27, 2007
PA
Happy Thanksgiving to those celebrating! Everyone's plans sound great!

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Happy Thanksgiving to all my Canadian friends.

HouseElf, I have been to Ontario and I think that the canal is beautiful. Enjoy your walk and your weekend.

It sounds like you are all going to have a lovely weekend with family, friends and good food. Enjoy.

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Thanks everyone. Here's a survey the local new station did and the results.

L'Action de grâce signifie quoi pour vous? (What does Thanksgiving mean to you)

Une fête familiale (Family holiday) 12%
Un week-end de 3 jours (3 day weekend) 50%
Rien en particulier (nothing in particular) 39%
Nombre de votes : 3093 (Number of votes)

So it is like I said mainly a 3-day weekend

Miss JoDee

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Apr 22, 2011
Gurnee, IL
Lucie,

I am curious as to the history behind the Canadian Thanksgiving.