February 2016

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
WOW, where did January go?

How are you going with plans/preparation for Christmas 2016?
I find that the post Christmas excitement hits a lull about now and this is put on the back burner. There is still so much time to set up that Christmas club at the bank, decide on what crafts/food/stocking fillers we will be doing.
Grab a planner, a note book or piece of paper and get planning.

snowlvr

Retire Member
Oct 14, 2007
Western North Carolina
LOL-great reminder, because the weeks fly by fast! My project is to collect all the notes I wrote down about things to do, things to do better, things NOT to do, etc.. and organize them in my 2016 Christmas notebook...also need to buy a grocery store gift card (which I meant to do last month!) to offset some of the food expenses at Christmas...

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Connie, good goals. Good luck.

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
I've done some planning - I've lined up several craft projects I want to make as gifts and have printed the patterns. Still more to do on that front!

I've updated my Christmas Baking document with how much I made and of what this past year so I'm better set up to understand what I want to make to give this year.

I've also reviewed my decor notes/plans and have lined up a couple of craft projects there as well. Or just noted things to do, like taking apart and redoing a wreath that the lights burned out on, etc.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
AJ some great plans there. It reminds me that I need to update my baking planner.

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
Finally go the last shoe box I need this week to keep at the top of the closet for the stocking stuffers. Next pay I will put more money into the Christmas Club and I plan on getting a refillable gift card to the grocery store and start loading money onto it every pay. Even if its just $10 a pay that will be $10 more available for the holidays.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Well done Minta. We don't have refillable GCs here but they would certainly be handy.

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
I was going to get a GC for Target that I could add money to occasionally. As it turns out, theirs are one time load only, and I don't want multiple cards with $5 or $10 on them. I guess I'll just make a Target envelope and add money to it. I don't like that as much because it's more accessible and easier to "rob" from when I need cash for something. On a GC, I seem to forget about it or seem less likely to use it for other things before Christmas.

I have been saving 5s when I get change. So far, I have almost $100! And yes, I've robbed it a couple of times already. :( Oh, well, every little bit adds up.

Lolwlias

Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
Cadyville, NY
I've begun saving where I put 1.00 the first week, 2.00 the second week, 3.00 the third week, etc. I skipped ahead & did weeks 50, 51 & 52.
Last year I robbed it during the summer. I'm hoping to not do that this time around. I'm hoping to forget it even exists.......

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
I the past week we placed more money into the Christmas Club account and picked up a few more stocking stuffers. Each show box now has at least 3 stocking stuffer in it. Tried a new cookie recipe, it was good but will not be going on the holiday baking list.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Minta, good work. I like the idea of trying baking now to see if it makes the list.

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
I've mostly been focusing on crafting for this Christmas. So far I've finished 1 ornament for myself, a set of three for a gift, another for a gift and a set of five for DS to decorate a themed tree in his room this year...

I've got one more ornament for me ready to assemble and have made a start on another meant as gift. With three more meant as gifts lined up and ready to start sewing (patterns cut, some of the pieces cut, etc.)

Will try to make some time to review other aspects of planning soon! Gardening season is looming so that will take some focus!

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
Minta, good work. I like the idea of trying baking now to see if it makes the list.

Thanks. My goal is to try one to 2 new cookie/desert recipes each month. When the family can agree on a new recipe for the holidays it will get added to one of the holiday baking lists (Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas). The goal is to have my baking list finalized by Oct. as that's when the stores around here start having their sales on the baking supplies. I have been keeping track over the past few years and I found the prices on the baking supplies to be at their lowest during Oct and Nov so that's when I stock up.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Minta, that is such good preparation. Any savings at the supermarket is a bonus, and by having the supplies by Oct and Nov leaves plenty of time to bake.

I might suggest to my mum that we try a few new things now too!

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
I've mostly been focusing on crafting for this Christmas. So far I've finished 1 ornament for myself, a set of three for a gift, another for a gift and a set of five for DS to decorate a themed tree in his room this year...

I've got one more ornament for me ready to assemble and have made a start on another meant as gift. With three more meant as gifts lined up and ready to start sewing (patterns cut, some of the pieces cut, etc.)

Will try to make some time to review other aspects of planning soon! Gardening season is looming so that will take some focus!

Awesome job. Can you post pictures of the ornaments?

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
AJ so cute. Love the little rocket ship.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Spent a day with my mum and wrote a baking list and craft list.
I suggested that we try a few new things before Christmas so we will look for a few new cookies or pies to make and add them to the schedule.