Christmas Books without Santa or Religious Material

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

FrostyShimmer

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
One of the couples in our family does not "do Santa." They are also not religious and don't want religious material in their kids' books. They still celebrate Christmas, but in a secular way. (Not sure if that is the right word.)
I get all of the kids a new Christmas book each year. I don't want to leave their kids out. I'm trying to find some good Christmas books that have neither Santa nor any religious content.
Any suggestions?

teachermomof2

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Oct 27, 2007
PA
What about Jan Brett books? The Hingerbread Baby is Christmas without being Christmas. It The Mitten? I also thought Snowmen at Night Christmas.

FrostyShimmer

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
What about Jan Brett books? The Hingerbread Baby is Christmas without being Christmas. It The Mitten? I also thought Snowmen at Night Christmas.

Thanks for the suggestions! I actually hadn't heard of any of those, so I looked them up on Amazon. I really like the Snowmen at Night at Christmas, but one of the reviews complains it mentions the birth of a king. I might put it on my list of books for my girls though.

The Mitten looks promising. I could even knit a little pair of white mittens to go with it.

tanya

Premiere Member
Jan 8, 2012
Frosty,
Maybe the answer is really obvious but Im kind of lost.
How does this family celebrate Christmas without either religion or Santa?
I get doing one or the other or as we do a mix of both.

I just can't get my head around having Christmas without either????

FrostyShimmer

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
Frosty,
Maybe the answer is really obvious but Im kind of lost.
How does this family celebrate Christmas without either religion or Santa?
I get doing one or the other or as we do a mix of both.

I just can't get my head around having Christmas without either????

Well, they are atheists, and I gather one of them grew up without Santa Clause as their parents believed in being completely honest with their kids and not telling them any "fairytales." I know other kids that were raised without Santa, but for them it was because they were raised Baptist and focused on the religious aspects of the holiday.
They do the lights, the tree, the presents, etc., just none of the magic I guess. I don't want the kids to feel left out (I imagine they may feel left out as they go to school and learn the other kids get visits from Santa, Elves etc.) My kids even felt left out when they found out other kids had Elves living on their shelves and they didn't, lol!

Reactions: tanya

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
We do Christmas without religion but not without Santa. If I had my household goods I could give you some titles without either, but I feel like the ones without either aren't really Christmas books, but more winter books. The Mitten is more a winter book, not a Christmas book, IMO. When we get our stuff, i'll look as i'm unpacking and make a list of what I find in our library that has neither, but like I said, they are more wintry books and not Christmasy.

Miss JoDee

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Apr 22, 2011
Gurnee, IL
The Nutcracker.

Last edited:

FrostyShimmer

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
Thanks for all the ideas! Sorry I was so long to respond. dH was sick, so he was home working on the computer for the last week and I had very little access to it.

Mrs Soup - Thanks for checking for me

teachermomof2 - Thanks for the link. The 12 Days of Christmas is usually done with different characters, and would probably work. I think I recall seeing a Sesame Street one somewhere.

Miss JoDee - I'm not actually familiar with the Nutcracker story. I remember seeing it performed as a ballet as a child, but I don't remember what it was about. I'll look into that one.