Word of the year 2018

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Have you found your word for the year 2018?

Mine is a phrase, not a word:

Take the time
- to love the little things
- to do what makes your soul happy
- to live
- to breathe
- to enjoy the NOW

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
I've always spent my life doing things to help others. So this new year will be for me. I thought maybe of the following words:
Recharge, Rekindle, Refill, or Re-self.
I have it narrowed down to ReFresh or ReBoot.

Lucie, I like your idea of a phrase. Good choice.

Update. I'm thinking I'll use ReFresh.

Last edited:

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Lucie, like the idea of the phrase. It seems apt.

I have chosen my word....Better.
I would like to be better at self care, a better wife, mother and employee. I would like to eat better and be in better health both physically and mentally. I would like to be better at setting and maintaining goals. This is not to say that I am not doing a good job currently, I could just do better.

Miss JoDee

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Apr 22, 2011
Gurnee, IL
Lucie great phrase.

My word is Connection. I want to reconnect with old friends and make a new connections of some sort in the area of volunteering to help the less fortunate or read with children in a school setting. A former teacher I worked with is still teaching and I would love to help her in her classroom.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Sounds like a lot of us want to do something for ourselves
As I get older I realise that without us taking care of ourselves we will find it hard to care for others.

jampss

Premiere Member
Oct 24, 2007
FL
Yes. Getting older. And hopefully, wiser. I need to remember to take care of me or I won’t be able to take care of and help others. Get back to basics ... God (which is taking care of me), spouse, kids, family, friends. Keep it simple, keep it clutter-free, keep it basic.

That’s my word: Basic

GrammaDeb

Premiere Member
Jan 4, 2014
Nevada
I thought of stick-to-itiveness because I can't seem to finish anything. After reading these comments, though, I feel I should go another direction. Borrowing from Deidre, "recharge" feels like a breath of fresh air... That's my word for 2018.

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
I am going back to a word I used before .. ORGANIZED ... I really need to be more organized.

I feel like because I am not as organized as I have been that I spent more time this year forgetting about things, redoing things, racing last minute to get stuff done and mistakes were made, things were broken or misplaced. I need to get back to menu planning and using coupons so I can stick to the budget better. Keep the chest freezer more organized and keep a running list updated so no more wasted food due to freezer burn. Just be more organized in general!

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Minta, love your word. I used it a few years back, it was a year that I redid every aspect of my life form my desk at work to my handbag. I still am in a good place but will need to revisit a few areas. Good luck with your word.

Reactions: Minta

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
Minta, love your word. I used it a few years back, it was a year that I redid every aspect of my life form my desk at work to my handbag. I still am in a good place but will need to revisit a few areas. Good luck with your word.

Thanks ... I just feel like since we moved into our new house 2 yrs ago I never got my self reorganized and I am at the point where I do feel like I need to reorganize everything from home to work.

Reactions: sweetpumkinpye

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Thanks Lucie! Just hoping that I manage to live up to my word in 2018.

Reactions: Minta

ChristmasPir8

Premiere Member
Nov 8, 2008
La La Land
I am not sure I did much with mine last year but I had one pop into my mind when I was not mulling over a word.
I am thinking of taking my sorority motto of Aspire, Seek, Attain. Now I need to decide if and how those words will work for me.
I told DH the other day I was so disappointed this year I wanted to do things this Christmas but since I don' plan it ahead it never happens. I need to be a better planner some times.
Maybe I need to make lists of things I Aspire to do this year, Seek out ways to make them happen, Attain my goals

tanya

Premiere Member
Jan 8, 2012
Im still thinking. Im loving what everyone else is coming up with. I may end up "borrowing" from you gals and make mine a mix/ adaptation of some the above.

Reactions: teachermomof2

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
I'm still contemplating, but the word Forward came to me just now as I was looking at the Quotes board in Pinterest. I have felt kind of stuck and stagnant since we moved to Hawaii. I'm not really doing anything here. I'm not volunteering, i'm not working. I'm kind of just stuck in place and am not moving forward with anything. It's definitely affecting me that i'm not social and involved anymore in anything and I don't like it. I find myself wanting to be more homebound and that's just not who I am.

Forward: find my place and move forward here in this new place and embrace life.

However, this doesn't encompass my NEED to focus on my health and well-being in the New Year, so i'm not set on this being my Word. I'll have a chat with my mom and maybe she can help. Any thoughts?

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
I got it!! My Word for 2018 will be.......START!

This encompasses everything that I need it to and more. After speaking with my mom for quite a while on the phone, we came up with some ideas for both of our words but decided that this was the best one for me. I also came to some life decisions, with her help, to Start this year.

Miss JoDee

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Apr 22, 2011
Gurnee, IL
Jessica, your word is Perfect for where your are at right now. Do you have your first step planned yet?