christmas 2018

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
You are right, never too early! I'm making crochet discloths for some gifts and some knitted wool socks, so they have to be started... Now!

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Totally agree. 310 days seems like so long away but I know that it will be here before we know it.
I would like to make some felt decorations for my mum and the people at work.
I have sat down over the last few weeks and planned what I would like to achieve this year....as Lucie says, have to start now.

Remember, the more we do now the less we have to worry about later.

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Absolutely!!! I would rather do a little bit here and there now then a whole bunch all at once at the end! This early in the year the things that work best for me to "work" on are:

- Homemade/Crafted gifts for others or new decor items for me to use in our home
- Reorganizing holiday decor storage (it's always a mess this time of year)
- Searching through recipes for things to test out for the coming holiday season
- Testing the recipes! I actually tested a cookie recipe this weekend and it was a winner!!! Planning to try and do one recipe test per weekend if I can!

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
AJ. I too plan a lot in the early part of the year while Christmas is still fairly fresh in my mind.
I am at the moment looking for 25 different fun ideas to do with the family to use as a countdown to Christmas.
testing recipes is a great idea and saves so much frustration at the holidays if the recipe is not a hit. I will be trialing a cheesecake that I saw soon. If the family do not like it I will have plenty of time to find something else for Christmas dessert.

Lists are my friend at this stage of the year and I get great delight in checking items off the list.

tanya

Premiere Member
Jan 8, 2012
I always plan ahead but am really ramping up the efforts this year.
I really, really want to be finished much earlier this year especially with gift buying. So far Im doing really well with stuffer type items.

I have started lists for other things too- food etc....
I tend to plan lots then lose interest a bit- maybe I over plan and get burnt out?

But at the moment Im on a roll so Im keeping on with it.

The older Luke becomes the more independent he is... so he is not with me at the shops as much, or he is swimming... therefore he not commenting on items that interest him. I used to make mental notes and go back later to pick up.

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
I cleaned out our walk in closet yesterday and have all my Christmas cards, and wrapping paper neatly tucked away in the closet with easy access to them so I can start my cards and wrapping earlier this year.

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
I have started lists for other things too- food etc....
I tend to plan lots then lose interest a bit- maybe I over plan and get burnt out?

I have had this happen to me too! I'll go "on break" from Christmas planning for a while when it does - but not too long! :) It's a sickness!

Reactions: Minta

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Minta, good idea to get everything in one place, it will make wrapping easier. I need to set up a wrapping area.
AJ, I go on a break every now and then, but like you not for too long. I love Christmas planning more than the actual day sometimes.

teachermomof2

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Oct 27, 2007
PA
I have plans, but usually don't carry them out this early in the year. I do have my wrapping supplies in order for the season.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
I feel that the more that we plan for, buy, organise now adds to the whole holiday experience.
I feel that for myself I enjoy the Christmas experience if it is spread out through out the year and I am certainly less stressed. I don't think I will ever be one of those people that start Christmas planning in December,( shudders).

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Kelly.....thank goodness. Glad to know that it is just not me.

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
I'm finding the more organized I become with the Christmas Holidays the less I do. I think when stressed I buy more and make more that isn't needed.

Being more organized definitely makes it less stressful. To me Christmas doesn't "feel" like Christmas when I am stressed about and unorganized about it. I can't seem to enjoy the smaller things .. the simple things like the sights, the smells and the coziness feeling you only get at Christmas. Last year was better then the previous couple of years and I want this year to be even better :)

Reactions: AuntJamelle

housewife2

Premiere Member
Aug 3, 2008
va
i miss christmas im trying to plan some things in my planner for this year. will discuss with the kids see how they feel about it

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
I miss Christmas too housewife.
Minta, I am certainly more organized over the past few years and I find that Christmas is certainly more enjoyable.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
I guess I feel like Christmas - planning and organizing for it - is basically my main "hobby" :D

I so feel the same. I work on Christmas more than anything else and totally enjoy every minute. It is a little addictive.

Reactions: housewife2