Christmas in July 2018 - Day Five

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

PamelaG

Staff member
Premiere Member
May 27, 2011
Washington, the Evergreen State
Bookcases. That's an interesting area to decorate.

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
My bookcases are now in Dh room so I do not decorate them. Most of our books are at the library now. They keep them dusted and keep track of who has borrowed them for me.

The bookcases use to hold all my collection of barns and barn birdhouse before we moved here. They stayed up all year long so it always looked like Christmas. Think of the Dept 56 villages which most of my barns were from so they looked Christmasy.

I love when people do decorate their bookcases with little vignettes of Christmas decorations. Little peaks of Christmas in unexpected places.

Reactions: PamelaG

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
I don't have a bookcase but I have a small corner armoire where I put my santa collection. The trees on top are lighted too.

This is an old picture... the walls are green now.

Déco Noël 11.jpg

Miss JoDee

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Apr 22, 2011
Gurnee, IL
Very nice Lucie. I love how you displayed them.

Reactions: luludou

ChristmasPir8

Premiere Member
Nov 8, 2008
La La Land
My book cases are built in on either side of the French door. The shelf across the top houses the village year round (lights off off season) there are a few jars I put ornaments in but past that I just sit my snowmen in the front of what is there.

Miss JoDee

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Apr 22, 2011
Gurnee, IL
This is interesting if you have the time.

PamelaG

Staff member
Premiere Member
May 27, 2011
Washington, the Evergreen State
Wow, Miss JoDee, that would be quite a project but I guess if you made the book covers so you could slip them on and off, you could just rearrange the layout from year to year. As much as I want a single story house, if I had a staircase, I would want a shelving space just like this.

Fuchsia

MHH Member
Oct 14, 2007
This is interesting if you have the time.
Hmm, I'm getting inspired by this! Maybe if I start now I'd have covers for all the books by December. :D

We have 2 bookcases in our living room. I always drape faux greenery around them, which is what the Christmas cards are tied onto. I swap out some of the decorative items for Christmassy things.

Cathymac2

Premiere Member
Aug 8, 2013
Arkansas
I love this picture!
I only have three shelves in the corner of the living room. The Hubs built them for my village. I havdn’t put my village out in years but this may be the year! Right now they house my collection of white pitchers and dried hydrangeas.

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
I wonder what's in the green tackle box?! Advent goodies??

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
Tackle box hides cocktails. lol

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
Dang that's a lot of work covering those books. Makes me laugh because I'm literally listening to a Christmas themed murder mystery that takes place in a designer show house. They literally talk about the disgrace of a designer taking off all the book jackets and replacing them with "princess" colors basically to go with the room. All just for display...Same kinda concept here.

Now I've already said what I do with my bookcases upstairs, downstairs is my disney christmas area. So I have different sets of mickey and minnie beanies that I pair up on my bookcase. Each shelf gets a set...and then I spread them around on my dvd shelfing unit and such. Some of my big stuffed Mickeys and Minnies are set up on top of the bookcase and then on top of my Crafting Cube Shelf thing. Needless to say..They are everywhere, INCLUDING the bookshelf.

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Bookshelf in our main hallway has been a challenge for me – have never been quite happy with how it looks.

I made a felt runner for it and I love that – black felt applique of holly leaves and berries in felt as well.

I’ve tried several different battery operated light options and haven’t been happy with any of them. This year I am just going to run an extension cord and hide it/disguise it the best I can and use real lights to illuminate a greenery arrangement that I will put out to frame whatever “centerpiece” item I decide on.

Here are some pics from previous years:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/135134547@N04/31354557915/in/dateposted-public/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/135134547@N04/30532020864/in/dateposted-public/

Last edited: