Christmas in July 2018 - Day Seven

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

PamelaG

Staff member
Premiere Member
May 27, 2011
Washington, the Evergreen State
Kitchen cabinets, counters, and kitchens in general.

Cathymac2

Premiere Member
Aug 8, 2013
Arkansas
I adore decorating my kitchen for Christmas. It’s my favorite room to do. I am using a combo of black and white checks and red and black checked ribbon on the 6 ft white tree I use in there. It’ll also have silver and red ornaments. I’m still pondering those details.
I keep white lights on the cabinet tops, along the countertop and on the corner China cabinet year around. I love the look of the lights everywhere.

I have a bunch of ideas for using my galvanized collections of tea balls, jello molds, trays and other items.

I can’t wait to hear about yours!!

Rose94

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ontario Canadaa
My kitchen is small and the only things I put out is a couple candles than plug in in the windows. This is something I grew up with— my mother had always put a plug in candle in all windows that could be seen from the road so I do it in memory of my mother. I also hand a Christmas tea towel and potholder that my children gave me and use knitting dishcloths in Christmas colours.

Miss JoDee

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Apr 22, 2011
Gurnee, IL
I have my grandmother's grater that I plan to decorate similar to this.

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
I like the large plate at the top. Are those Christmas dishes in the hutch?

Reactions: Cathymac2

Miss JoDee

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Apr 22, 2011
Gurnee, IL
Yes, those are my Christmas dishes. The "plate is actually a metal tray I got from my mom. Here is a close up

Attachments

• Misc vacation,art classes, school grant 168.JPG
    Misc vacation,art classes, school grant 168.JPG
    506.5 KB · Views: 9
  • Misc vacation,art classes, school grant 169.JPG
    Misc vacation,art classes, school grant 169.JPG
    493.7 KB · Views: 9

PamelaG

Staff member
Premiere Member
May 27, 2011
There is a an old restored farm house down the road from us that always has plug in candles in the windows. It looks so nice,
I had those plug-in candles for years - first they had a cord so I always had to get creative with arranging them so they didn't show - and then they came out with a battery version which is so much easier. They look so pretty - very New England - especially if you have a lot of windows and if they are symmetrical, it's beautiful.
Candles in the Window.jpg

halimer

Premiere Member
Aug 30, 2008
Long Island, NY
Holiday towels, a snowflake suncatcher and a Mr. and Mrs. Snowman utensil holder that I use all year round. Also add a holiday photo (usually the dog and Santa) to my photo display.

Lana

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Southern Illinois
We put lights and garland above the cabinets, a small tree on the counter, some years I have used different gingerbread ornaments and used fabric and put them on every other cabinet door and some in my window ledge. I also have my grandmas grater and I turn it upside down and put greenery in it and a gingerbread man and I hang a towel on the handle for decorations.

Also for the fridge and dishwasher I get the magnets of Santa or snowman and the kids like to play with them when here on Christmas Eve or through out deer season.

Andthenjust

MHH Member
Jul 10, 2018
Uk
Kitchen gets decorated with small items. I seen a picture on Pinterest of gift ribbon wrapped around cabinet doors that looked lovely. Not sure how long theyd last with steam etc.

Reactions: Holiday_Mom

PamelaG

Staff member
Premiere Member
May 27, 2011
Holiday towels, a snowflake suncatcher and a Mr. and Mrs. Snowman utensil holder that I use all year round. Also add a holiday photo (usually the dog and Santa) to my photo display.
Another great idea of switching out your regular items - towels, utensil holder - for holiday ones.

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
I decorate with red and white towels. I like to display our metal Christmas cookie cutter collection on the top ledge of our kitchen window. On the window sill, I put in real evergreen cuttings and holly cuttings into old glass bottles. I usually put up artificial holly garland around our window and at the top of our hutch. I have a gingerbread garland that I display at the hutch table top. I painted our kitchen cabinets white over the winter. I'm looking forward to seeing how it looks this year at Christmas.

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
I don't do a whole lot in the kitchen, but I love the idea of the holly above the cabinets. I might be able to do that easily actually. My windowsill in the kitchen is where I keep the 3 things my mom crafted for me. She didn't do much of that stuff when I was a kid. As I got older she started dabbling in flower arrangement and painting some things. So I have a women sleigh basket thing with some pics and Santa in it. A glass jar she decoupaged on the inside with Christmas colors and a ceramic stocking that I fill with candy canes. There are a few other things I hang on the wall, but nothing significant.

Reactions: GrammaDeb

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Most of the decorating in my kitchen space is done up above the cabinets - I've been loving how it looks with greenery, pinecones, white lights, white and/or red ceramic pieces, galvanized metal, black chalkboard with pops of copper here and there...

https://www.flickr.com/photos/135134547@N04/30546737163/in/dateposted-public/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/135134547@N04/30546737593/in/dateposted-public/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/135134547@N04/30532085864/in/dateposted-public/

On our island I use a little metal table top tree that I received from BIL and SIL a few years ago and a jar candle with a fun ceramic jar topper:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/135134547@N04/30532085594/in/dateposted-public/

I have a holiday ceramic spoon rest I get out, a few other odds and ends, but that's it really...

Reactions: GrammaDeb