Christmas in July 2018 - Day Nineteen

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

PamelaG

Staff member
Premiere Member
May 27, 2011
Washington, the Evergreen State
How to Display: Candles and Lanterns.

ChristmasPir8

Premiere Member
Nov 8, 2008
La La Land
I dont really have any to display but I always like the look of a bunch in a fireplace. We use our fireplace some maybe I'll try that this year

Reactions: PamelaG

PamelaG

Staff member
Premiere Member
May 27, 2011
I dont really have any to display but I always like the look of a bunch in a fireplace. We use our fireplace some maybe I'll try that this year
Yes, I've seen some great idea for displaying the large pillar candles in a fireplace, on a wrought iron stand or just on their own in a group. The ones that have the bark design on the outside look really neat.

PamelaG

Staff member
Premiere Member
May 27, 2011

Andthenjust

MHH Member
Jul 10, 2018
Uk

I've stolen those for my own pinboard lol.
Some years I buy an advent candle, but never really bother with candles and such. I'd love to, but I share my home with two clumsy children and a exceptionally clumsy man-child... Do fake battery operated candles count?

PamelaG

Staff member
Premiere Member
May 27, 2011
I've stolen those for my own pinboard lol.
Some years I buy an advent candle, but never really bother with candles and such. I'd love to, but I share my home with two clumsy children and a exceptionally clumsy man-child... Do fake battery operated candles count?
Yes, definitely. Have you found a flameless candle brand that you like?

teachermomof2

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Oct 27, 2007
PA
I use flameless candles and lanterns year round. I have lanterns on the mantel, one in a basket tray on the coffee table, one on the dining room table and a flameless candle on a timer on the hutch.

Myron's Mom

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ohio
I love the luminara brand but there are a couple of other brands out there that are similar. They look real and I'm so absent minded and with 2 cats they are perfect for our home. I tuck them in anywhere in my decorations that need a little extra light. The only problem is we do go through the batteries even on the timer mode.

teachermomof2

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Oct 27, 2007
PA
I find that the better candles with 2C batteries last much longer, then my 3AAA battery candles. Anyone else?

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
When the fireplace is not in use, I like to put candles inside. I did a lantern, candle and tea light grouping on our front porch for the first time at Christmas. I took a galvanized bin and flipped it over to hold the grouping of different size lanterns and various heights of candles and tea light holders. I tucked fresh greens around them.

In February, when Dollar Tree was putting out their spring items, I picked up 4 small (2 ft. or so) shepherd hook plant holders that get pushed into the ground. I was thinking about getting more but I decided to hold off and see if I actually used them. I have used them this summer. They held the lanterns along the pathway way in our back yard in the summer. I think I may use them in front of the house this year to hold the lanterns. Next February, I will look for them again. When I went back a few weeks later, they were sold out.

upload_2018-7-20_17-34-18.png

Reactions: PamelaG

PamelaG

Staff member
Premiere Member
May 27, 2011
I just looked at mine and they take D batteries. They are burgundy Luminara brand - got them on an absolute steal at Bed Bath & Beyond after Christmas. They were tucked all the way at the back of a Clearance shelf so were a hefty percentage off plus I had a 20% off coupon on top of that. There were three - one 5 inch and two 7 inch. I did a little price comparison of the regular price so I could watch for them when coupons come out - 5 inch are $34.99 at Michaels and $29.99 at Bed Bath & Beyond - a 50% off coupon at Michaels would be a real deal, bringing the price down to $17.50 over the $24 I could get with a 20% off coupon at Bed Bath & Beyond - and 7 inch are $39.99 at both stores. I haven't seen the burgundy at either store, they must only come out at Christmas.

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
I do love the flameless candles! Have some flickering tea lights and one pillar candle I picked up at a garage sale - was just part of a box of misc. Chr items I got for $5...

Picked up a set of 3 flame less candles from an outlet store a few months ago - very good price - they are cream colored and each is a different height. Working on plan for using them this year!

Years ago I bought a couple of glossed ceramic jar toppers from Yankee Candle – one is a snowman one is a Santa. I always put one on a jar candle that sits on the kitchen island in front of the sink.

upload_2018-7-23_9-29-50.png

I also like to use candles inside hurricane lamps…up on a dresser, centered on a bookshelf, etc.

upload_2018-7-23_9-30-22.png

Reactions: Andthenjust

PamelaG

Staff member
Premiere Member
May 27, 2011
no lol, but I'd love recommendations!
I love Luminara but they are the high end price-wise. If you take a look at them, see what you think when you look at other brands to see if the others are just as life-like. I posted some pricing a little earlier in this thread and coupons are a big plus here.

Andthenjust

MHH Member
Jul 10, 2018
Uk
I love Luminara but they are the high end price-wise. If you take a look at them, see what you think when you look at other brands to see if the others are just as life-like. I posted some pricing a little earlier in this thread and coupons are a big plus here.
Thanks PamelaG, I'll check them out

Myron's Mom

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ohio
I just looked at mine and they take D batteries. They are burgundy Luminara brand - got them on an absolute steal at Bed Bath & Beyond after Christmas. They were tucked all the way at the back of a Clearance shelf so were a hefty percentage off plus I had a 20% off coupon on top of that. There were three - one 5 inch and two 7 inch. I did a little price comparison of the regular price so I could watch for them when coupons come out - 5 inch are $34.99 at Michaels and $29.99 at Bed Bath & Beyond - a 50% off coupon at Michaels would be a real deal, bringing the price down to $17.50 over the $24 I could get with a 20% off coupon at Bed Bath & Beyond - and 7 inch are $39.99 at both stores. I haven't seen the burgundy at either store, they must only come out at Christmas.

Good deal! I was changing out batteries tonight and most of mine are D's. I have some little votives that I love that take little flat round batteries. They only last a few days so I save them for company.
Joanns had luminaras on sale a few weeks ago. I think they where BOGO but all they had was white. I've been looking for a dark blue. Qvc had them in a set with red and white but, I don't need any more of those. I haven't seen burgundy in a while either.