Christmas in July 2018 - Day Thirty

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

PamelaG

Staff member
Premiere Member
May 27, 2011
Washington, the Evergreen State
Books, or Christmas reading material of any kind.

Reactions: Cathymac2

Miss JoDee

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Apr 22, 2011
Gurnee, IL
I love to look through the Christmas magazine. I scope them out at the library. I also have some older magazines I pull out and look at again for some fresh ideas. I enjoy Debbie Macomber's Christmas books.

I also love the Christmas story in Bible. Luke chapter 2

Last edited:

PamelaG

Staff member
Premiere Member
May 27, 2011
I love Christmas magazines especially the British ones I find at Barnes and Noble. We have a Christmas Eve family tradition - we go out to brunch and then to Barnes and Noble. Everyone has a spending limit, say $25, and we each buy what we want - a book or magazines - and then after we pay for it all, we take it home in the Barnes and Noble bag and put it under the tree. No-one gets to look at their choice until Christmas Day after we've had breakfast and opened presents. Christmas Day is pretty much pajama day at our house so it's nice to have some new DVDs and something to read, exactly what we each wanted to read, as we are relaxing.

PamelaG

Staff member
Premiere Member
May 27, 2011
I hold onto my holiday magazines especially the Halloween, thanksgiving and Christmas ones and revisit them every fall.
Me too, you can just make out in my blog post that one of my magazines is from 2009!

Reactions: Minta and Cathymac2

GrammaDeb

Premiere Member
Jan 4, 2014
Nevada
Pamela - I LOVE your tradition! As for me, every year since I married I have bought a Christmas book. I love the pictures in children's books - especially Jan Brett - and I, too, like Debbie Macomber.

Reactions: Minta and PamelaG

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Pamela - lovely tradition! Me & the kids would love this but dh rarely reads. I'll think about this.

Reactions: Minta

PamelaG

Staff member
Premiere Member
May 27, 2011
Pamela - I LOVE your tradition! As for me, every year since I married I have bought a Christmas book. I love the pictures in children's books - especially Jan Brett - and I, too, like Debbie Macomber.
Love Jan Brett and Debbie Macomber. I was fortunate to meet both of them in Washington. Jan Brett came into town on her book tour for The Animals' Santa and gave a great talk, drawing a character as she spoke. The photos below are of her tour bus and the character she drew at the event.20141213 Jan Brett Comes to Poulsbo.JPG 20141213 Jan Brett Drawing.JPG

Debbie Macomber held book signings on the base two years running and I have both the books. When I posted on Facebook that it was coming up, two of my friends (one in Texas and one in the UK) commented on how much they loved her books so I bought a couple of extras and had Debbie autograph them both. I sent them off with a card that said "Do not open until Christmas" and they were both so ticked to get them. Debbie lives part of the year very close to where we are moving in Washington so I hope she will be available for signings in the future.

PamelaG

Staff member
Premiere Member
May 27, 2011
Pamela - lovely tradition! Me & the kids would love this but dh rarely reads. I'll think about this.
Vic rarely reads either unless there's a schematic diagram involved but he loves to pick up a woodworking or electronics magazine.

ChristmasPir8

Premiere Member
Nov 8, 2008
La La Land

Cathymac2

Premiere Member
Aug 8, 2013
Arkansas
I love Christmas magazines especially the British ones I find at Barnes and Noble. We have a Christmas Eve family tradition - we go out to brunch and then to Barnes and Noble. Everyone has a spending limit, say $25, and we each buy what we want - a book or magazines - and then after we pay for it all, we take it home in the Barnes and Noble bag and put it under the tree. No-one gets to look at their choice until Christmas Day after we've had breakfast and opened presents. Christmas Day is pretty much pajama day at our house so it's nice to have some new DVDs and something to read, exactly what we each wanted to read, as we are relaxing.

Totally love this!! What a fun idea!

I LOVE any magazine, but Christmas ones are my favorite! I save my Southern Living and Country Living ones from year to year.
I am always insanely excited to see the first Christmas how to magazines on the newsstand. I buy them all!!

Reactions: Minta and PamelaG

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
I love, love, LOVE the Gooseberry Patch books and especially the Susan Branch books! I also really enjoy the Christmas with Southern Living books and have collected many of them!

I also save holiday magazines and look through them again each year. I have a subscription to Southern Living and I ALWAYS save the holiday issues!

We have a ton of holiday themed children's books but I'll be looking to add some that are for a slightly older age as DS is 8 now. Will have to look into that...

I recently checked out several holiday books from the library based on a different Christmas reading thread here on the forums and am enjoying them all so far!!! Will be back for more I'm sure!

Reactions: Holiday_Mom

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
I'm a preschool teacher and love holiday themed picture books. Up until last year, when my youngest was no longer interested in this, I would read a Christmas book from Dec. 1st through Dec. 24th. My favorite Christmas authors are Jan Brett and Tomie DePaolo. Each day I would put a Christmas book wrapped in tissue paper into a Christmas gift bag. One child would unwrap the book and we all gathered around to read the book on the sofa. The last book was always Jan Brett's The Night Before Christmas.

I also love looking through Martha Stewart and County Living magazines for ideas. The pictures just make me happy.

Reactions: luludou and PamelaG

PamelaG

Staff member
Premiere Member
May 27, 2011
I'm a preschool teacher and love holiday themed picture books. Up until last year, when my youngest was no longer interested in this, I would read a Christmas book from Dec. 1st through Dec. 24th. My favorite Christmas authors are Jan Brett and Tomie DePaolo. Each day I would put a Christmas book wrapped in tissue paper into a Christmas gift bag. One child would unwrap the book and we all gathered around to read the book on the sofa. The last book was always Jan Brett's The Night Before Christmas.

I also love looking through Martha Stewart and County Living magazines for ideas. The pictures just make me happy.
These Christmas book Advent calendars are so fun. How exciting to have 24 books wrapped and waiting for you.

Reactions: Holiday_Mom

Myron's Mom

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ohio
I used to buy every Christmas magazine I could find but have stopped doing that unless I find something special. I tend to use the internet now but it's not as much fun.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Pamela, what a lovely tradition. I try and buy DH and the kids a book every year (sometimes from the 2nd hand shop) for in their stockings. I love sitting down on Christmas day and starting a new book.

I love any Christmas magazine and after i had read them through I pass them to my mum who passes them on to someone else.
I also love Debbie Macomber, she is one of my favourite authors.