Favorite Potluck dishes for Summer Gatherings

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

teachermomof2

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Oct 27, 2007
PA
Hi,

What is your favorite recipe to make and take to a potluck event?

The family reunion is on Saturday and I usually take Rachel Ray's Sloppy Joes and Hard Rolls.

Reactions: Minta

PamelaG

Staff member
Premiere Member
May 27, 2011
Washington, the Evergreen State
Pasta Salad - a dressing-based Mediterranean-type salad, not one made with mayonnaise.

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
I too am wondering what knee patches are. oh, just looked it up. Elephant ears? :)

PamelaG

Staff member
Premiere Member
May 27, 2011
I too am wondering what knee patches are. oh, just looked it up. Elephant ears? :)
Could only find the iron-on kind of knee patches - what are they in terms of potluck food? Are they the same as elephant ears? They are those giant pastry ovals covered in cinnamon sugar or some other sweet topping, right?

Myron's Mom

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ohio
Knee patches are a Hungarian/Croatian fried pastry. They are basically a poor people's dessert. They are similar to some types of angel wings- Rolledthin strips that are sliced and turned inside out ( if that makes sense) and fried crispy then rolled in granulated sugar. Ours have no leavening in them. Just flour ,butter, sour cream, eggs and vanilla. Then fried in lard. They will blister up when fried and are very light. There are two camps- those who like them fried golden brown- the other likes fried dark brown. I thought I had a picture ( I always torment my cousins when I make them) but I don't. I'd be happy to share the recipe if any one is interested.
They are very plain and simple. Grandma always made them and so did mom when we had the reunions.

Reactions: jampss and luludou

PamelaG

Staff member
Premiere Member
May 27, 2011
Knee patches are a Hungarian/Croatian fried pastry. They are basically a poor people's dessert. They are similar to some types of angel wings- Rolledthin strips that are sliced and turned inside out ( if that makes sense) and fried crispy then rolled in granulated sugar. Ours have no leavening in them. Just flour ,butter, sour cream, eggs and vanilla. Then fried in lard. They will blister up when fried and are very light. There are two camps- those who like them fried golden brown- the other likes fried dark brown. I thought I had a picture ( I always torment my cousins when I make them) but I don't. I'd be happy to share the recipe if any one is interested.
They are very plain and simple. Grandma always made them and so did mom when we had the reunions.
Yes, please, I'd love to have the recipe.