HHP 2018 - Week 3: Me and Mine Week

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
This is my CrAzY week. Our church hosts a festival next weekend and we have family birthdays too. Lots of prep work for both this week. :eek:

This Week's Household Checklist:
  • Declutter, clean and organize the Master Bedroom. This will be pretty light. I did a good cleaning and some decluttering in August. DONE
  • Sort through clothes in closet and drawers. I haven’t done that one in a while. DONE

This Week's Holiday Prep Checklist

• Inventory holiday cards, gift wrap, and mailing supplies. Cards and mailing supplies have been inventoried but I do need to check on the gift wrap. DONE
  • Make a Christmas card list. I saved the envelopes from cards that came in the week before Christmas and after Christmas. I will compare those addresses to the ones that I had from last year. DONE
  • Use a computer address book for Christmas cards. I will update any address changes. DONE
  • Order, buy or print Christmas cards or letters. The card company sent me a 15% off coupon to use on Labor Day weekend so I took advantage of the sale and bought the cards then. DONE
  • Plan personal pampering sessions. I did something like this last year from November on. I think with the extra busy fall schedule that I have this year, I will add it starting in October. Pampering for me is sitting down to watch a Hallmark movie or read a book. That scheduled "just for me " time was such a gift. :) DONE
  • Set aside a gift closet or create a gift box. I did this all the time when the children were little. Things changed as they entered the teen years so I haven't done it. However, I think I'm might start doing that for auction baskets that I'm asked to donate or just thinking of you gifts. (I've come across people having a bad day/week/month who might enjoy a surprise gift for no particular reason.) DONE
Still to do:
  • I need to go through the 2016/2017 November and December issues of "Country Living" and "Martha Stewart's Living" and see if I want to save any ideas from the magazines.

Last edited:
Reactions: Minta

Cindylouwho

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
Got DS in the car to go to school and found I had very low air in one tire. Really? I had hoped to get a big jumpstart on my week this morning. Instead I'm going into town to get my tire fixed. Bringing my laptop with me to get some stuff done while I wait. I'm going straight there and back and am going to try and not get derailed from my plans for the day! I have lots I can do on the computer and my phone.

Week 3 – Me and Mine Week – The Master Bedrm
·
House Checklist:

Holiday Checklist:

• Inventory holiday cards, gift wrap, and mailing supplies.
  • Make a Christmas card list.
  • Use a computer address book for Christmas card envelopes or labels - will check mine
  • Print address labels for Christmas cards
  • Order, buy or print Christmas cards or letters - I've struggled with cards in past years.
  • Plan personal pampering sessions, and add them to December's calendar.
  • Set aside a gift closet or create a gift box; inventory any previously-purchased gifts - I will go through it this week as it is near the Master Bedroom which I plan to have all torn apart.
  • Knock out a few more stocking stuffers.
PLUS ongoing:
Starting my healthy eating this week --
after not-so-much in the summer. Routines help keep me on track.
Continue decluttering office - Need to catch up from Week 1 & 2.
Fall Care Package off to DD -- since I won't be there for Parents Weekend (cuz its so early!)
Hanging art on the walls -- I seem to have psychological issues with putting nails in the walls and apparently I have issues with command strips too since every time I try to use them my art work falls down. (Even after using rubbing alcohol on the walls. Not sure what my problem is. :)
Improving lighting throughout house
AND continue getting FIL's house ready to rent out (Paint, carpet, flooring).

This is a lot of stuff. Probably biting off more than I can chew. Will try to focus super hard and use my time wisely.

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
We are holding off on the master bedroom/bathroom for a few more weeks as we want to repaint it. Bought new curtains and shower curtain just waiting until we have a free weekend to paint.

I did however clean out and reorganize the linen closet and did a lot canning over the weekend to stock up the pantry

Reactions: Holiday_Mom

Twink

MHH Member
Jul 22, 2015
I'm a little late getting started but ready to jump in now! Organized the linen closet yesterday while watching NFL football. The curtains in the bedroom are too narrow but after changing the hardware, they will work fine, just need to make two valances. Talked myself into buying a new dust ruffle instead of trying to lengthen the one I have. Walls aren't bad. Need to wash windows, shampoo carpet and straighten closet and dressers. It's too early to change over to winter stuff so will do that later.

Holiday Mom - Checked out the capsule wardrobe and that is definitely something I'm going to try.

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
Cindylouwho- Regarding the Command Hooks - is it real humid where you are? My daughter had issues too even with the wall being cleaned with alcohol. We looked to make sure that we were using the right Command Hook size for the object being hung. They have various sizes for various weights. We figured it was either the paint on the wall or the humidity that caused the hooks not to work.

Gift wrap was inventoried. I thought I had plenty from last year but now I'm not so sure. I will add that to the list just in case.
Addresses and card list were updated.

I've got Tuesday and Wednesday to get things done on the HHP list this week. We'll see how that goes. The rest of the week will be filled with the festival prep and birthday prep.

farmerswife

MHH Member
Oct 14, 2007
Central Wisconsin
Life has been busy these last few days. I will be able to focus Wednesday through Saturday on HHP. I just know that there is a lot to accomplish this week. :)
  • I will need to do an inventory of Christmas supplies
  • I’ve been trying to find a decent pic of hubby and I for our Christmas card this year, I will probably have my daughter take a new pic when we see her this weekend.
  • Routine cleaning of the master bedroom
  • Changing out our Summer linens for our fall linens.
  • Stocking Stuffers
  • Finishing up my craft room. So very close just need to put a couple pieces of furniture together and then fill them. I bought a cart at Target and I plan on picking up a credenza tonight.
I have so much energy when I wake up , but then I go to work for 10 hours and by evening all my grand plans loose out to my lack of energy. :(
Have a good week everyone.

Cindylouwho

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
Cindylouwho- Regarding the Command Hooks - is it real humid where you are? My daughter had issues too even with the wall being cleaned with alcohol. We looked to make sure that we were using the right Command Hook size for the object being hung. They have various sizes for various weights. We figured it was either the paint on the wall or the humidity that caused the hooks not to work.

Well, it was summer and very hot so yes, maybe that was it? The sizing was correct -- I double-checked that. Maybe I'll try again once I'm sure the weather will stay cold.

Twink -- Welcome!

I'm checking back in with an update on my progress:

Car and flat tire -- my quick jaunt into town to fix that tire (so as not to be derailed on my plan for the day) was completely.....derailed. Turned out to be a nail in the sidewall. So ... many hours and four brand new tires later.... At least I got a jump on the auto maintenance (for whatever week that rolls around on).

Christmas List -- Added a few more ideas. I need to update my Santa's List app.

Housecleaning done and a few boxes of clothing donations out the door.

Recipe List -- I'm after solid, simple Instant Pot recipes. So I'll be on the cooking threads. I haven't done my freezer cooking yet and the natives are getting restless.

Master Bedroom -- Worked on it some today. Glaring at my Emotional pile in my Master Bedroom that seems impossible to get rid of. (Photos, paintings done by my mom, etc) -- Remember the Marie Kondo that I did a couple years back? I STILL have the Emotional pile. I got rid of 5 things from it today. Asked a friend to come next week and help me tear it apart. While glaring at it I realized I actually had two piles. The other one is a pile of boxes of old photos. (*face-palm*)

Capsule Wardrobe -- Found an interesting app. While decluttering my clothing I checked online to see if there are any YouTube videos or photo apps to help with this. And there are. Checking out "StyleBook" for my iPhone. Good reviews and free. There was another one that looked good but it had a monthly fee. Not sure Stylebook is what I'm after but I'll start there. Just noticed it syncs to iCloud. On YouTube I found a gal's site I liked -- its called UseLess (which gave me a chuckle). She seems pretty good. I like her style anyway. Will check that out. Really want a complete shopping list ready to go for the Columbus Day Sales. There are usually great discounts that week.

iPhone -- Apparently is not currently syncing to iCloud. Adding that to my fix-it list so I don't go to all that trouble with the Wardrobe App only for Apple to tell me they have to wipe my phone.

Calling it a wrap for the day. Hope you are all coming along well on the week! I'm feeling really pressed for time with DS's sports schedule and FIL's house remodel so I'm going to have to be super careful to stay on task as best I can. I need to print my to-do list from my post! My office is still a wreck so I don't event want to go into it. Pretty soon I should be able to box up all the estate stuff and get it all out of there.

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
I have so much energy when I wake up , but then I go to work for 10 hours and by evening all my grand plans loose out to my lack of energy. :(
Have a good week everyone.

That is so true! Some weeks, like last week and this week, I just looked at the list and thought "I'm way over my head." Yet I know this will help me in the long run. On these days/weeks, I pick something I like and then sometimes the momentum builds up and I get a bit more energy to do the other things. And then sometimes not...

A few years back, I was struggling to get things done. My "Still to do" list got bigger and bigger and then I finally had a break and got the things done little by little. I just remember that I felt peaceful and calm leading into Christmas which had been my goal then. That's what keeps me going during these kinds of weeks.

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
It's too early to change over to winter stuff so will do that later.

You're doing great! It's been too hot and humid here to change out the clothes or linens. I'll probably wait until the end of October.

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
Car and flat tire -- my quick jaunt into town to fix that tire (so as not to be derailed on my plan for the day) was completely.....derailed. Turned out to be a nail in the sidewall. So ... many hours and four brand new tires later.... At least I got a jump on the auto maintenance (for whatever week that rolls around on).

Oh, what a day! Hopefully you got some computer work done.

Master Bedroom -- Worked on it some today. Glaring at my Emotional pile in my Master Bedroom that seems impossible to get rid of. (Photos, paintings done by my mom, etc) -- Remember the Marie Kondo that I did a couple years back? I STILL have the Emotional pile. I got rid of 5 things from it today. Asked a friend to come next week and help me tear it apart. While glaring at it I realized I actually had two piles. The other one is a pile of boxes of old photos. (*face-palm*)

Ok, the family historian in me is coming out. Please, please, please don't toss old photos or documents that you don't want. Ask around the family, siblings, nieces, nephews, cousins, etc. to see if they would like them. My mom tossed out a bunch of letters from my uncle's Viet Nam days. He and his wife died young and my cousins would've loved to have those letters to get to know their father better. My grandmother tossed out all of her photos thinking we'd not be interested but she never asked. :(

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
I spent some time trying to figure out some things with Google's Calendar. They changed this last October but I never made the time to understand the changes until Week 1 of HHP. Getting things on their Calendar forced me to slow down and learn it better.

The bedroom closet and drawers are done. I'll put away the summer clothes when it cools down in October. The way the week was going, I wasn't sure I'd even get to this but I'm glad I did.

Cindylouwho

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
That is so true! Some weeks, like last week and this week, I just looked at the list and thought "I'm way over my head." Yet I know this will help me in the long run. On these days/weeks, I pick something I like and then sometimes the momentum builds up and I get a bit more energy to do the other things. And then sometimes not...

A few years back, I was struggling to get things done. My "Still to do" list got bigger and bigger and then I finally had a break and got the things done little by little. I just remember that I felt peaceful and calm leading into Christmas which had been my goal then. That's what keeps me going during these kinds of weeks.

I've been this way too the past couple months. It's all so daunting and I see my Catch Up list growing. Some projects are just exhausting to look at. I had to go back to my tried and true: the timer. I set it for 15 minutes a day on a specific room/project whatever. Only lately I've been having to set it at 5 -- for things I REALLY don't want to do. But 5 timer usually gets reset to 10 and then 10 becomes 15 and sometimes it will grow into hours once I'm started. I'm living by that timer for SURE on the Master and Office. And on my Emo Pile -- which is a 5 (maybe a 3!). But you are right -- it does add up and then I'm thanking my lucky stars when December rolls around.

Holiday_Mom - About the Emo Pile:
Not too many letters in there and I' never get rid of stuff like that - thus the pile. My Dad was the historian in our family though so I DO have another huge pile like that. That's in a different house. In a different house. I will need to find out who is going to take it over. Funny, he said if absolutely no one wanted to take it over then I was to donate it to the Mormon Genealogy folks because they would make sure it all got documented! (He was a devout Catholic so I always found that amusing). :) But I'm sure among all of our relatives someone will step up to take over. Right now it is safe with me. The paintings I'm contemplating giving to a cousin. We have LOTS of paintings in our family. Not enough walls! But none of it is moving very fast as my cousins live on the other side of the country. DD wants some of it but she won't have her own place for years.

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
Cindylouwho - I forgot about using a timer to get things done. I like that idea because there is a start time and end time.

Cindylouwho

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
I'm behind in my followup for the week. Had events happening this weekend (friend's wedding etc) so
I can pretty much wrap it up by saying I got some stuff done but I got derailed with taxes and such for the relatives. Also kids are being high maintenance -- but that's Fall for ya. :)

Week 3 – Me and Mine Week – The Master Bedrm
·
House Checklist:
  • Declutter, organize and rejuvenate the Master Bedroom -- Made progress. More to go.
  • Declutter clothes closet -- Did lots of research on my Capsule Wardrobe plan. Yup. Liking it. (Many items out the door to charity). Another Marie Kondo in ramp-up.

Holiday Checklist:
  • Inventory holiday cards, gift wrap, and mailing supplies. - Nope.
  • Make a Christmas card list. -- Already in Excel. But I really should check it.
  • Use a computer address book for Christmas card envelopes or labels - Still need to check.
  • Print address labels for Christmas cards -- Will handwrite if I get it done.
  • Order, buy or print Christmas cards or letters - Nothing done.
  • Plan personal pampering sessions, and add them to December's calendar. -- I can dream.
  • Set aside a gift closet or create a gift box; inventory any previously-purchased gifts - This is all torn apart as part of a Marie Kondo. Working my way across the attic (which is my gift closet).
  • Knock out a few more stocking stuffers. -- None this week.
PLUS ongoing:
Starting my healthy eating this week -- I have started and am on track!
Continue decluttering office - Got a chunk more done.
Fall Care Package off to DD -- Got more items for it. Decided to wait til Oct and make it Halloween.
Hanging art on the walls -- BIG mental breakthrough. Must be the Marie Kondo. Made big decisions.
Improving lighting throughout house -- Decided what I want to do. Now need to purchase it.
AND continue getting FIL's house ready to rent out (Paint, carpet, flooring). -- Yup. Still going.

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ

Are you able to get up a little earlier in the morning and maybe tackle a few things then?

Twink

MHH Member
Jul 22, 2015
Cindylouwho - Thanks for the welcome! (Maybe I can get you name right this time). All of you guys are inspiring, you are getting so much done!

I'm still plodding along but I am accomplishing a few things. Checked out the capsule wardrobe and started a list. Today is furniture rearranging day. The weather has cooled off enough for the furnace to be running so now I have to get the furniture off the vents. Today is the master bedroom but I need to do the windows first. We'll see how much I get done. Tomorrow I'll move the couch.

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
Cindylouwho - Thanks for the welcome! (Maybe I can get you name right this time). All of you guys are inspiring, you are getting so much done!

I'm still plodding along but I am accomplishing a few things. Checked out the capsule wardrobe and started a list. Today is furniture rearranging day. The weather has cooled off enough for the furnace to be running so now I have to get the furniture off the vents. Today is the master bedroom but I need to do the windows first. We'll see how much I get done. Tomorrow I'll move the couch.

You're doing great! Slow and steadY wins the race, right? Keep plodding along. :)

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
Master bed/bath repainted, finally got some things up on the walls but still need to hang the picture frames. Got a box of clothes ready for donation but I am sure as we try to put the rest of the stuff away in the bedroom more things may wind up in the donation box. Since we have unexpected but welcomed company staying with us for the week all the cleaning/prep will be placed on hold. Will have to pick up the pace starting next week so we can get everything done.

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
Finishing the Master bedroom and bath has got to be an awesome feeling, Minta! Enjoy the break this week. Painting a room is such an undertaking.

Reactions: Minta