Thanksgiving 2018

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
October 8th is just around the corner for those members not in the US. What will you be doing this year?

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
This weekend for us!
My parents, sis & bil are coming. we have our local white-geese festival in town. So we will be going to the small farmer's market, craft market (very small), and just walk around. Also the weekend to see the Fall colors.
Just a weekend to be together and chat.
I've found films we might enjoy, crafts to make and games to play if we want to.

Menu:
Saturday noon: cabbage patch rolls
Saturday supper: fondue, fresh bread, potatoes, veggies, crème brûlée for dessert
Snacks: pickled eggs, cheese & crackers
Sunday: breakfast at home (eggs, bacon, muffins, toasts, yogourt & fruits)
Sunday noon: at the local place that opens up just for the festival - old-fashioned comfort food.
Sunday Supper: don't know yet but have tons in the freezer.

FrostyShimmer

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
We'll be having turkey, squash, sweet potato casserole, cranberry sauce, stuffings, rolls, and cornbread....the usual stuff. Also pumpkin pie, pecan pie, sweet potato pie and apple pie :)

DD5 told me yesterday that Thanksgiving was the day we celebrated food by eating as much of it as possible. I think she heard that from Garfield and took it to be the true story of what Thanksgiving is all about :)

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
Yes, I do think Thanksgiving is a celebration of the wonderful food we can serve. I think I should practice making the pecan pie I've been making for the last 48 years. Just to be sure the recipe isn't stale. Pecan pie is my favorite pie.

FrostyShimmer

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
Yes, can't have too many pies :)

The last few years the stores have started getting eggnog in for Thanksgiving. The woman at the store told me it's coming in today, and here we are stuck inside with the pouring rain. Hoping some is still there tomorrow!

There's also a big Thanksgiving Market here for four days. All the farmers come in and set up tables and the produce is really good and really cheap. I stock up and make soups and blanch and freeze the veggies to keep us going for a long time.

HouseElf

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Oct 12, 2007
Ontario, Canada
www.pinterest.com
We will be home, just the five of us for Thanksgiving! I've taken the week off :) (from Thanksgiving Monday till the Friday). I am thinking I will enjoy the week with the cooler temperatures and lovely fall colours!

For dinner we have a pretty traditional table:
Turkey with Herbs&Sausage Stuffing
Pan Gravy
Cranberry Sauce
Garlic and Rosemary Mashed Potatoes
Sweet Potatoes with Pineapple
Vegetable Au Gratin *new recipe, usually I do just 'carrots au gratin' - new recipe includes parsnip, carrots, celery root - I have root veggies I need to use up!
Green Beans (I really want to try this gluten free version of a recipe for the green-bean casserole) usually we just sear them

Dessert is pumpkin and apple pie, with vanilla ice-cream or whip cream
We have coffee, mulled cider and tea for hot drinks, and a cranberry punch for cold.

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Tam - That sounds like a wonderful FEAST! Would love to hear how the new au gratin recipe turns out for you! And the green bean casserole if you do it!

Classic goodness across the board!

Enjoy your time off!!!!

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
One of the things I really love is those french fried onions in a can. Horrible things but with a coke I can go to town on them. I really missed them out of all the things I had to give up when going gluten free. Now Aldi's has them gluten free.

Reactions: Miss JoDee

FrostyShimmer

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
Part of our tradition is also watching Garfield's Thanksgiving every year. I wanted to watch Charlie Brown's Thanksgiving as well, but I've misplaced my copy and it's been taken down from YouTube.

HouseElf - I've never head of doing sweet potatoes with pineapple; that sounds really good. I've always wanted to try putting sausage in my stuffing. DH always says the stuffing is the best part of the meal, so not to mess with it, but I've been making it the same way since I was five, and I'd love to try something different.

AuntJamelle - The market is great - the kids looks forward to it all year. They didn't have as much variety as usual. We had a frost at the end of June and another at the start of September, so it was hard on the local growers this year. They said on the radio over half of all the pumpkins were killed off. We were still able to get lots of good food though.

Ahorsesoul - I love those little onions too. I never even thought of them as having gluten.

Reactions: luludou

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
HouseElf - I've never head of doing sweet potatoes with pineapple; that sounds really good. I've always wanted to try putting sausage in my stuffing. DH always says the stuffing is the best part of the meal, so not to mess with it, but I've been making it the same way since I was five, and I'd love to try something different.

You could do a small pan with sausage along with a regular pan of your traditional that DH likes.

FrostyShimmer

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
You could do a small pan with sausage along with a regular pan of your traditional that DH likes.

That's a good idea. I've never done stuffing outside of the turkey, but I need to give it a try. We never have enough stuffing. I assume I need a recipe specifically for doing it in the pan so it doesn't dry out.

Reactions: missjane

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
That's a good idea. I've never done stuffing outside of the turkey, but I need to give it a try. We never have enough stuffing. I assume I need a recipe specifically for doing it in the pan so it doesn't dry out.

I make regular stuffing and then sausage, cranberry, and apple stuffing (or dressing in some circles) for myself. I bake it in a covered casserole dish at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 30 minutes. I use to have a lot of it leftover which was fine by me. As my kids get older, they are trying the sausage stuffing and my leftover stash is getting smaller.:(

Reactions: missjane

FrostyShimmer

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
I make regular stuffing and then sausage, cranberry, and apple stuffing (or dressing in some circles) for myself. I bake it in a covered casserole dish at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 30 minutes. I use to have a lot of it leftover which was fine by me. As my kids get older, they are trying the sausage stuffing and my leftover stash is getting smaller.:(

My stuffing is just bread, potatoes, onions, etc. It gets moist from the juices from the turkey. Do you add oil or broth or some other liquid to wet it before you bake it in the oven?

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
My original recipe suggests starting off with a quarter cup of chicken broth* and mixing it in a little at a time. You can add more broth as needed. You want the bread to be moist but not soaked. A lot of recipes call for the stuffing to be baked uncovered but my recipe said to cover it. I use foil and I like the way it comes out moist. You could try it uncovered for a bit and then cover it if it seems to be drying out too quickly.

*As a side note, I have to watch my salt intake so I've always substituted the broth for water.

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
So speaking of pecan pie...I was at a small cafe this week and they served pecan cobbler. It was amazing!!! I always want more filling with pie, so I think I may try the pecan cobbler this Thanksgiving. Sounds amazing warm with some ice cream.

Reactions: luludou

FrostyShimmer

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
Thanks to everyone for the tips for doing stuffing in the oven. I made some extra stuffing to give it a try. Kids are all sick for Thanksgiving. I didn't even go to sleep last night as the youngest was up sick all night - which meant I was up cleaning all night.

Oh well, these things happen. At least it's a year we don't have any company coming. I made pumpkin pancakes for breakfast, and everyone ate, so at least they're feeling better than yesterday.

I think I'll try to get everyone off to bed early and I'll do nothing but have a pumpkin spice latte and watch Love at the Thanksgiving Parade - a cheesy Hallmark movie :)

MinnieCo - I've never heard of pecan cobbler. Sounds delicious :)

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
Oh, FrostyShimmer, I was getting on here to wish our Canadian friends a Happy Thanksgiving. I'm sorry to hear that your kids are sick. It's always tough when our kids are sick especially during a holiday. I hope they continue to feel better. I think a cheesy Hallmark movie and a pumpkin spice latte sounds just right for this evening.

Michelle - We have nut allergies here so I've never had a pecan pie. But I know what you mean about the filling. I've done cobblers a few times instead of pies. It seems easier to make than pies.

Miss JoDee

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Apr 22, 2011
Gurnee, IL
Michelle, I am looking up pecan cobbler recipes. Mom makes pies but never pecan. So I can make this and it should travel well to MI.