Crafters Challenge October 7th-13th, 2018

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Lana

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Southern Illinois
Welcome to October!!!!

Alot of talk of knitting. One day maybe I should try......

I ended up ordering more thimbles today and they should be here Tuesday. Others say running late so I will return them if they ever come!

Hoping to work on turkeys maybe later in the week. And get some tiny canvass painted for ornaments.

What are your plans?

Happy Crafting!

DahliaDoll

Premiere Member
Oct 15, 2007
Greetings!

Lana ~ Is it too late to cancel your order that you haven't received?

I've added a Halloween decoration to my list, so I have to get going with that. I'd like to make it for DDs too, and would have to get those in the mail. I bought some supplies yesterday, but may need to get more trim of some kind.

Also, today, I'd like to get a machine embroidery snowflake made up for Kathy so she can finish off her ornament and maybe get some zig-zag stitched around some rugs to help keep them from fraying.

Doodlebug

MHH Member
Jan 11, 2010
Oklahoma
I am planning to start some 18 in doll clothes for Christmas presents.

Reactions: Miss JoDee

FrostyShimmer

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
I'm just about finished my balaclava, but it looks huge. I was at the store yesterday and found some light worsted wool in DD5 and DD7's favourite colours. I bought it to try to size it down instead of using aran. My goal is to do one this week and the other next week.

The thought of doing all those cables again is daunting though. It really didn't make up so badly - I think what I dislike is having to keep track of the number of rows in between cable rows. I have to keep a tally, then I end up wondering if my tally is accurate.....I'm always getting distracted and forgetting to write down when I finish a row.

I used to use a little counter you clicked after every row. Then one day I was working on this big, difficult project and DD5 picked it up, clicked it a bunch of times and said "Mummy what's this?" I ended up going back to tracking on paper.

I have all the knitting books that came from my grandmother and her mother's house. There are so many pages with little notes and tallies on the sides of the book. I like having them there, but I can never bring myself to add new tally marks in the books.

Reactions: AuntJamelle

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Al quiet here for crafting at the moment. Just can't seem to get the time to sit and do. Hoping to get back into it very soon.
In the meantime I am inspired by all the wonderful work that you are doing.

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
I've been having the worst time trying to find the place the 2 yarn balls have the same color to start the socks. they are the same color, same lot but they are not identical... grrrrrr, I unwinded both of them, rewinded, unwided... spent the weekend doing that.

Rose94

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ontario Canadaa
Happy Thanksgiving to any follow Canadians

Luludou. Hope you are able to find the match spot on your yarn.

Had a nice trip. Came home with a knitting pattern and yarn to go with it. Also a little bit of fabric.

This week I hope to get:
My skirt cut out and started.
Grandsons pj’s cut out
18 inch doll jacket knitted

Myron's Mom

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ohio
Luludou, that would drive me crazy. I hope you can find the matching spot. Is it a commercial type yarn or from a independent crafter?

I finished the cosmetic bag that will go with my Christmas purse. The purse is about half done and if I don't run into any issues ( the purse's or my own, lol) I should finish it tomorrow. My back and hips are giving me fits. The embroidery work shop this past weekend had us sitting in folding chairs. Next time I go there I'm taking a chair pad. So I have been "gimping" around my sewing room.

This week I'm doing a day trip to Erie, Pa. for the quilt show with a friend. I've not been there but it's suposed to be a nice one. There should be a whole different group of vendors then what has been at the shows around here. Not that I need to buy anything......

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
It is a commercial type yarn and I can't find the matching spot!!

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Greetings all! Have quite a bit of progress to report!

Finished the 2nd set of mini embroidery hoop ornaments - just had to got glue on trim and hangers - DONE!

Started and finished two sets (3 each) of "Night Cloud" felt topped jumbo paper clips - gifts for the twins

https://www.flickr.com/photos/135134547@N04/31331599108/in/dateposted-public/

Cut the fringe on both fleece blankets - still have to tie but that will be easy to do! Ironed on the applique pieces I'd already prepped onto one of the blankets and will just need to sew down to secure. Still need to finish cutting out some applique "branches" for the other blanket - the birds and berries are ready.

Created pattern for and cut out felt pieces for a small black cat softie for DS.

Cut felt pieces for the insides of two felt book ornaments. Once I see how big the "pages" end up being I'll cut the covers and embroider them with title, author name, etc.

Finished cutting the paper pieces needed for finishing the Monster classroom treat bags - just need to start gluing them up during the evenings!

Cut pieces for felt "marshmallows" and have then partially sewn up - need to find/purchase dowel rods to use!

Cut felt covers for two Meade notebooks and drew on embroidery patterns. One in shape of heart made out of feathers and the other just a sort of doodle flower type pattern. They are all ready for me to start on once I get to them!

Will focus on classroom treat bags first since I need those first but it feels good to have so many projects in the works that I can pick up as I have time. I've been taking kits with me every day and working on them in the car at lunch, in the drive thru lines, while waiting on DS at taekwondo class, etc.

Myron's Mom

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ohio
Goodness Aunt Janelle!! You have been busy! And the paper clips are adorable.

Well I finished my Christmas purse. It's just ugly lol. It went together nicely but it's big and floppy and I don't like it. So I think I will use it as a gift bag for someone. I hope that doesn't sound bad.

The sewing shop called, the thread I need for my quilt is no longer available. I found 2 of the 1500 yard spools that I wanted. of course I had to order them from the U.K. They will be here the end of the month. In the mean time I a ton of other projects to work on.

Rose94

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ontario Canadaa
Aunt Janelle. You have been busy. Going to have your Christmas crafting done in no time.
Have one pair of pj’s cut out and the other two except for the sleeves are out out. Sleeve fabric is in the dryer as I type. I purchased the amount of fabric pattern called for but I guess I didn’t check the width of the actual fabric. Had to run to the store and buy more.
Also have started on the doll jacket and have my skirt cut out finally.

Last edited:

DahliaDoll

Premiere Member
Oct 15, 2007
FS ~ If it were me, I would either photocopy the page(s) of the book to use and be able to mark the tally on or use a sticky note on the page to put the tally on. How wonderful to have your grandmother’s notes and be able to knit the same items!

Katrina ~ I’ve got a busy week with friends, so not too much crafting getting done here either.

Lucy ~ Did you ever find a matching spot. I think they really aren’t supposed to match these days, so you may have to go with that!

Rose ~ Nice to see you back here!

Myron’s Mom ~ I love to watch the demos at quilt shows; and, of course, I have to paw through all the fabrics! Have a great time. How disappointing about your Christmas purse. I’m sure it will make a great gift bag though. Will you make another one? Same pattern just smaller with a firmer interfacing?

AJ ~ Great work! You do such unique things with felt. Can’t wait to see your other finishes. You’ve been busy.

As for me, I need to pick up the pace here in the crafting department, but we’re going to the lake tomorrow. I’ll try to find some things to take along that need to be done …

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Worked away on the Monster Treat Bags last night - got eyes, polka dots and fangs glued on. Will work on horns and tongues tonight - 24 bags takes a while!!!! I'll need to reinforce the bottoms of the bags with packing tape too - they tend to come open!

FrostyShimmer

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
I'm way behind on my goals this week. DD1 can't seem to sleep more than ten minutes at a time, so I've been up all night, mostly calming and rocking her, so not much knitting is getting done. Oh well, there will be time for that later.

Dahlia Doll - Yes, that's a good idea. I often photocopy the sheets to do a project as some of the books are barely holding together. One of these days I think I'll scan them all and print off my own book of them with the modern needle sizes and yarn weights written in.

luludou - I once bought an expensive ball of sock yarn that was treated with aloe and supposed to moisturize and soften your feet. There was no match point anywhere. I'm guessing whatever the repeat pattern was, it was on a large enough scale that it didn't repeat more than every few balls. Always bothered me, but I got lots of compliments on the socks.

AuntJamelle - You've been busy!

Miss JoDee

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Apr 22, 2011
Gurnee, IL
I am hoping to get to the sewing machine by next week. I have this thing that my house has to be in order to have time to sew. With all the decluttering I am doing I am just not getting there.

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
Well I finished my Christmas purse. It's just ugly lol. It went together nicely but it's big and floppy and I don't like it. So I think I will use it as a gift bag for someone. I hope that doesn't sound bad. .

Someone else will love it. It just didn't fit into your expectations.

Reactions: Lana