thanksgiving 2018

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

housewife2

Premiere Member
Aug 3, 2008
va
bought some plastic cups today from hobby lobby that saids gobble gobble 40% off. they have some cute paper products plates napkins cups will be going back to get some other items

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
I was looking at Hobby Lobby yesterday and pondered over all the lovely fall things - lots of Thanksgiving choices too which is nice! Finally decided on a pair of ceramic salt and pepper shakers that look like pumpkins :)

When we had the family over for my birthday this weekend we discussed what I'll be bringing to contribute to the Thanksgiving menu this year - so far we've settled on Shrimp Cocktail and Oreo Cheesecake - probably Deviled Eggs too and some sort of bread yet to be decided on...

Cathymac2

Premiere Member
Aug 8, 2013
Arkansas
I love Thanksgiving! It’s secretly my favorite holiday. I call the Wednesday night before through Sunday the most wonderful weekend of the year!

We go to my mom’s for lunch for a traditional (potluck type) meal of turkey and dressing, ham and all of the yummy sides. I usually make mashed potatoes with garlic, real cream and butter, sour cream and cream cheese. They are rich! I peel and cook 10 pounds of potatoes. I also usually bring green beans and pecan cobbler along with some sort of appetizers, such as cranberry spread, Brie with puff pastry and BLT dip.
Then we have my in laws to our house that night for a relaxed and casual soup and sandwich (again potluck) meal. Then I don’t eat much for the rest of the weekend! Right. Anyone buy that?

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Sold! LOL

But really - two awesome meals in one day? You guys are troopers! One big meal and we all have to fit the urge to nap!

Well, I fight it. DH gives in and I just decorate around him (as soon as we get home on TDay it is ON like Donkey Kong when it comes to putting up Christmas decor!)

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
Hmmm... It just so happens that I'll be passing by a Hobby Lobby while doing errands today. I think I'll go to Hobby Lobby just to "browse" their Thanksgiving area. ;)

AJ - Your food contributions sound good.

Cathymac2, - So funny! I love Wednesday through Sunday of Thanksgiving weekend too! Wednesday is the last minute prep day and finalizing the Black Friday shopping plan. Thursday is Thanksgiving dinner here with the immediate family and then invite family and friends who don't have plans for Thanksgiving. Friday is shopping and then wrapping gifts. Saturday/Sunday is wrapping, starting the Christmas decorations and finishing up leftovers.

It's usually just the 7 of us. Some years we find out that people don't have a place to eat for Thanksgiving so we invite them. Sometimes I put out a vegetable tray to snack on before dinner. I do the turkey, gravy, mashed potatoes (sounds like the kind that Cathymac2 makes), buttered green beans, mashed sweet potatoes, mashed cauliflower, cran-apple sausage stuffing, and a pumpkin pie. If guests do come, I double the recipes and ask them to bring a dessert.

Cathymac2

Premiere Member
Aug 8, 2013
Arkansas
Sold! LOL

But really - two awesome meals in one day? You guys are troopers! One big meal and we all have to fit the urge to nap!

Well, I fight it. DH gives in and I just decorate around him (as soon as we get home on TDay it is ON like Donkey Kong when it comes to putting up Christmas decor!)
We used to have the in laws on a different day but it just fidn’t work with all of the crazy schedules. This works best, believe it or not. The second gathering is very relaxed.

I really try to keep that weekend just for Thanksgiving but Christmas does sneak in, especially since I am working again. This year i’ve noticed that Thanksgiving is pretty early (I think the 22nd?) so I will probably wait to decorate for Christmas the next week. We cut a fresh tree so I don’t put it up too early for obvious reasons.

Keep those Thanksgiving stories coming!! Love them!!

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
Well, I'm crying right now because this year my estranged niece plans to come home for Thanksgiving, so I'm not sure just how or where it will be this year. My sister and I had started doing Thanksgiving separately several years ago because her children have so many extended family members they have to plan around that it was impossible to set a time that everyone can be there.

When DD25 married DSonIL, we started having out family Thanksgiving (DH, myself, DS and family, DD21 and DH, and DD21, and my mom) on Wednesday because DD25 and her DH go to his parents on Thanksgiving day.

Dniece plans to rent a bed and breakfast type house when she comes home for Thanksgiving, so we may all have thanksgiving there...who knows?!

And DH and I are going to Hobby Lobby tonight. ;)

Oh, and I have a sister who lives in Texas, but she seldom comes for any of the holidays, so I don't know if she'll come or not.

Myron's Mom

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ohio
I used to do big family dinners but since everyone is gone now we are going out. Much easier on me but makes me miss family even more. I have a reminder on my planner to make reservations again this year
Sorry I sound like Debbie downer!!! I'm pathetic lol!

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
We don't do Thanksgiving in Australia obviously. If we did though I think it would be my favourite holiday. I love hearing all the plans and the food! Oh my!

Reactions: Cathymac2

Cathymac2

Premiere Member
Aug 8, 2013
Arkansas
We discussed Thanksgiving at my SIL's house on Labor Day. We agreed to do what we've done the past two or three years, which is everyone has lunch with the "other side"-in this case, my side!-and then gather at our house for a relaxed, casual dinner of soups, sandwiches, chips, dips and desserts. I know it's non-traditional, but we do a big traditional lunch at my mom's and on Tuesday night at church, so we're ok with it. Now that we have a plan, I can plan!!! LOL! I know this bunch of holiday fans will understand that!
We have MUCH to get done!

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
My mom wanted a cabin booked to have Thanksgiving at, so I did that last week. Now, to get with her and decide about food.

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
My mom wanted a cabin booked to have Thanksgiving at, so I did that last week. Now, to get with her and decide about food.
Thanksgiving at a cabin sounds so cozy and relaxing.

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
Mary, DH's family used to rent a cabin at this same state park and we would go there the weekend before Christmas to celebrate with his family. These cabins are on a lake...cabins are set over the water. The water fowl fly in, in the mornings, and it is breath taking! I'm not sure that DH and I will be staying because my two nieces who live out of state will probably stay there with my mom, but it's something different, and I hope they like it. My oldest sister has already given my mama her opinion saying that "no one is going to like it." It was Mama's idea, and I think my sister should respect that.

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
Mary, DH's family used to rent a cabin at this same state park and we would go there the weekend before Christmas to celebrate with his family. These cabins are on a lake...cabins are set over the water. The water fowl fly in, in the mornings, and it is breath taking! I'm not sure that DH and I will be staying because my two nieces who live out of state will probably stay there with my mom, but it's something different, and I hope they like it. My oldest sister has already given my mama her opinion saying that "no one is going to like it." It was Mama's idea, and I think my sister should respect that.

I can hear my mom's response, "They don't have to like. They just have to be there." :) Well, I do hope they like it once they adjust to the new idea. I think that there will be special memories made that weekend.

Reactions: jampss and missjane

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
I bought some red, yellow and white plaid Thanksgiving kitchen towels at Christmas Tree Shop today. My other Thanksgiving towels were starting to fall apart last year.

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Mary love it... 'they don't have to like it, they just have to be there ' :)

Our Thanksgiving is beginning of October. My parents, sis & bil will be coming to our house for the White Geese festival. This year we will be having fondue for supper on the Saturday night instead of eating at the festival. Their music is always loud and mom is having more and more headaches, si it will be more relaxing for us. We gals prefer this. The boys can go to the music afterwards if they want.

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
It would be awesome to have Thanksgiving earlier..I agree. I said before I never know what's going to happen on Thanksgiving, I just show up where I'm told, but I have a feeling things will keep changing even more now that the teens are all adults and married. No babies yet, but having adult children to juggle is definitely changing the dynamics of all of us having one big Thanksgiving.

And a cabin for Thanksgiving sounds amazing. #futuregoal

Reactions: Holiday_Mom

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
I am really looking forward to Thanksgiving this year! Really miss the family we go to visit and wish we'd see them sooner! We always have such a great time! Just non stop talk and laughter and wine and stories and food, food, food! Then we go out and visit the horses and feed them carrots, pet all the barn cats, etc. We spend hours and it seems like it's over in a snap!

Need to give some thought to activities to bring for DS while we are there. His cousin does a really great job with him while we are there but I hate to have her "babysit" - although I don't think she really minds TOO much. She is an only child as well and is really great with DS. But I want to give her a break too!

Also toying with the idea of picking another appetizer or side dish to bring - so many yummy choices!!!

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
shopping.jpg shopping2.jpg

If you use paper plates and napkins Pioneer Woman is putting out a Fall line that is gorgeous at Wal-Mart. Stores should have them in by now or soon. They are almost to pretty to use to be honest. Some people are taking the napkins and decoupaging them onto white pumpkins. OMG...I'm in love!! Brilliant idea!!