HGP - Kitchen 2018

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Are we ready for this????

http://holidaygrandplan.com/holiday-grand-plan/08-kitchen-week

Week Eight sees us down and dirty in the heart of the home: the kitchen. It's Kitchen Week at the Holiday Grand Plan!

This week, we'll clear the decks for the holiday cooking to come with a kitchen clean-up and declutter. Routing out the year's dirt and disorder gives us a fresh, clean start for holiday cooking to come.

In holiday prep, it's Checkpoint Week and time to make plans for Halloween night.

Ready? Let's get organized with Kitchen Week in the Holiday Grand Plan!

Reactions: Minta

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
I am so overwhelmed right now - just trying to keep up with everything else going on - let alone the HGP!

Haven't really touched my kitchen list yet!

I did get the shower curtain from the upstairs bathroom washed, dry and hung back up - so that is something I guess.

Going to try and do at least one drawer or cupboard a night until this weekend when I have more time - haha!

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
I started cleaning and rearranging my kitchen cabinets last week and still have a several more to do this week. Hoping to be able to do a few a night. I started doing this to make sure the infestation from the garage did not get into the kitchen which thankfully I can say I haven't seen anything yet in the kitchen. I am cleaning all the cabinets with a vinegar solution. I do need to clean inside of my oven though.

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Oh Minta - so sorry to hear about garage issue. That is so stressful!!!

Do you use oven cleaner? I've been trying not to (hate the smell) and I've had good success with liberally sprinkling on baking soda, spritzing with vinegar and letting it sit overnight - then wiping and scrubbing. Magic Erasers are good too.

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
Oh Minta - so sorry to hear about garage issue. That is so stressful!!!

Do you use oven cleaner? I've been trying not to (hate the smell) and I've had good success with liberally sprinkling on baking soda, spritzing with vinegar and letting it sit overnight - then wiping and scrubbing. Magic Erasers are good too.

Thanks, I generally use oven cleaner once a year but when I do I usually have the windows and sliding glass door open to air out the kitchen. I do use baking soda and vinegar through out the year but when my mother bakes in the oven she sometimes leaves a mess and always forgets to tell me so I find out about if after I have already preheated the oven and notice the smell. UGH ... so by then its baked in even more.

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Well for what it is worth, here is my cleaning tasks for the kitchen:

[X] Dust tops of cabinets (done when I put up Fall decor)
[X] Dust ceiling fans (done Liv Room Week)
[ ] Clean off/Dust top of fridge
[X] Pull out fridge, clean off the back, vacuum (Done this summer)
[ ] Dust top of china hutch, copper vent, pendant lights, chandelier, etc.
[ ] Wash down outside of all cupboards, appliances, doors, etc. Remember KitchenAide and other countertop appliances stored in pantry
[ ] Clean out inside of fridge
[ ] Clean microwave inside and out
[ ] Empty, clean and refill each drawer
[ ] Empty, clean and refill each cabinet
[ ] Clean sink and drains
[ ] Clean dish drainer
[ ] Clean sponge or replace
[ ] Run a lemon rind through garbage disposal
[ ] Deep clean stove top/grates
[ ] Clean underside of vent hood
[ ] Clean tile backsplash
[ ] Clean ovens
[ ] Empty and clean countertops
[ ] Clean dog bowls/stands
[ ] Clean vent grates
[ ] Organize/Dust cookbooks
[ ] Vacuum
[ ] Mop/Wash Floor

Holiday Prep tasks:

[ ] Text invites for Christmas dinner party
[ ] Make 2-3 freezer meal items
[ ] Continue wrapping gifts
[X] Buy at least 1 stocking stuffer
[X] Buy at least 2 gifts

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
AJ, as always your to do lists are amazing. I am still on master bathroom this week but kitchen will be in a few weeks time. I follow the HGP but in a different order because it suits my house.

Myron's Mom

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ohio
My kitchen is in pretty good shape mostly just needing touched up a bit. I did run the self cleaning oven. I should do it more often then I do but dislike the fumes. Always fearful for the effect on the cats even though I open the windows and run the fan.

Cathymac2

Premiere Member
Aug 8, 2013
Arkansas
I finally got a chance to do something HGP related!! I got my kitchen mostly clean(ish) today!
When we started this plan, i had no idea that my side hustle business was going to take off (and take over!) like it has. I am thankful for the business but man has my life been crazy. Plus my mom spent 3 weeks in the hospital critically ill. She is home, thank the Lord, and doing well but still requires quite a bit of help. My brothers have been good about helping, but they are both going to be out of town next week-and I have 3 jewelry parties! But I can do them from her house, so it's all good.

I am only hosting a laid back Thanksgiving night get together here, so it's not really that urgent to get things done. I will have to do most of the work at Mom's house of course. But that's ok, I am glad to do it.

I feel so relieved to be able to post all of this!! Small baby steps, right?

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
I finally got a chance to do something HGP related!! I got my kitchen mostly clean(ish) today!
When we started this plan, i had no idea that my side hustle business was going to take off (and take over!) like it has. I am thankful for the business but man has my life been crazy. Plus my mom spent 3 weeks in the hospital critically ill. She is home, thank the Lord, and doing well but still requires quite a bit of help. My brothers have been good about helping, but they are both going to be out of town next week-and I have 3 jewelry parties! But I can do them from her house, so it's all good.

I am only hosting a laid back Thanksgiving night get together here, so it's not really that urgent to get things done. I will have to do most of the work at Mom's house of course. But that's ok, I am glad to do it.

I feel so relieved to be able to post all of this!! Small baby steps, right?

Sorry to hear your mom was sick, glad to hear she is home and hopefully getting better

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
UPDATES:

[X] Clean microwave inside and out
[X] Empty, clean and refill each drawer
[X] Empty, clean and refill each cabinet
[X] Deep clean stove top/grates
[X] Empty and clean countertops
[X] Clean dog bowls/stands

More left to do obviously, but better some done than none!

Holiday Prep tasks:

[ ] Text invites for Christmas dinner party
[X] Make 2-3 freezer meal items
[X] Continue wrapping gifts
[X] Buy at least 1 stocking stuffer
[X] Buy at least 2 gifts

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
Since last week I have cleaned out more then half of the kitchen cabinets and most of the drawers. Purged a few thing to the trash and the donate pile. Rearranged my 2 jelly cabinets to make the most of the space and to keep a like items together. Brought in my large plastic storage containers and bowls from the garage and rewashed them. Once they were dried I stored them into the jelly cabinet that is in the kitchen. I am leaving the cheap plastic bowls and platters in the garage as I don't use them as often and they can be easily cleaned when needed. I am planning on cleaning the oven Saturday since we don't have plans for the first half of the day.

I would not wish an infestation on anywhere but there is a bright side to this whole nightmare. My kitchen will be more organized and the garage will be less cluttered

Reactions: AuntJamelle

Miss JoDee

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Apr 22, 2011
Gurnee, IL
I would not wish an infestation on anywhere but there is a bright side to this whole nightmare. My kitchen will be more organized and the garage will be less cluttered
That's the Spirit, Minta!

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
I finally finished the deep clean of my kitchen. I was scrubbing the top of my fridge at 645 this morning.

It took me 2 weeks to get it all cleaned but I did it!!

Awesome job and thanks for the reminder for the top of the fridge. I have a few more cabinets to clean out and then the appliances. Hoping to finish the rest of it this weekend.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Cmerth, well done. Does not matter how long it takes to get the job done.
Minta, glad that the infestation has been handled and that the garage is now clutter free.