November declutter club

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Will you be decluttering in november? If so what are your goals and what are you accomplishing?

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Since I can't do my 'normal' routine because of the bathroom remodel, I will try decluttering more. Today I did the one-thing a room declutter on the main floor.
Took a new look at my decor items that have been there for years.
Office - got rid of a bunch of dried flowers & herbs. Vase is now down in the basement.
Bedroom - old iphone cover and an old envelope
Bathroom - not touching anything in there
LR - big box I was keeping for the cat to play with, he still has another one
Kitchen - got an new chocolate fondue set so got rid of the old one
Kitchenette - got rid of an old straw rooster (didn't have any colors left)

Does it count? dd left with lots of leftovers from the freezer :)

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Lucie, anything out the door counts, even leftovers.
I have 2 rooms left to do. Did Laundry room on Saturday, got rid of some empty and near empty bottles. Also got some old bath towels and will send them to the farm for rags.
Still need to do kitchen and loungeroom and then I am done with the heavy Spring cleaning.

Reactions: luludou

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
I'm on the decluttering wagon again. I need to start another GoodWill box. I have a small curio cabinet for someone on Craigs list. Once I start pulling out Christmas items I'll have more to go.

Today DS said he was decluttering too. He just was putting things into the trash left and right.

Cindylouwho

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
I want to do more but have to move into wrap-up/hold mode for now. I have more to purge but I seriously have to put the house back together and focus on holiday prep. I have a giant pile next to my front door. The size of a dumpster -- but without the dumpster. (DH didn't want to get one since all the stuff is being donated and not going to the dump). So the goal is now to get that pile out of here. We've had multiple loads already leave. I'm "containing" the rest by category so I can pull it out one category at a time and go through it. Amazed how we have so many categories spread throughout the entire house. (Ex: Photo albums, craft supplies, gardening books and planners etc). The containers are really helping me focus.

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
I'd like to declutter as I clean this month. I did get three bags of clothes dropped off today! I'm hoping to get to the kitchen this week for decluttering.

Miss JoDee

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Apr 22, 2011
Gurnee, IL
I found that a lot of the boxes I pulled from the now empty attic was manly old tax forms and college classnotes that have not been looked at since 1979. So a lot of it will be shredded at a shredding event in December. The big stack is now down to toys. DS wants them. So by Christmas it will all be gone. :):):)

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Miss JoDee, good job with getting the papers sorted. Always seems like a daunting task at my house.
Today is decluttering and cleaning our main loungeroom. Should not take too long. The most time consuming task will be sorting through the DVD's and washing and packing away the throws. The couch needs a jolly good clean too.

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
I decluttered one of my kitchen shelves of extra water bottles. Lots more space now!

Reactions: Lana

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Water bottles take up a lot of room in my cupboards. Those and plastic containers and lids are the worst things in my kitchen.

Reactions: Holiday_Mom

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
I have one room left to do which is the kitchen. Then the heavy Spring cleaning/decluttering will be complete. I have a few bags to go to the donation centre. It is getting less and less every time I clean. Happy with that.

Cindylouwho

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
Water bottles take up a lot of room in my cupboards. Those and plastic containers and lids are the worst things in my kitchen.

Same here! Water Bottles take up tons of space and all the free ones get hard to manage. DH just got one after 25 years on the job (Really?) and I had to laugh! I'm getting good ones for Christmas so i can let go of the less-good ones. One thing DD came up with that seems to be working is "plastic or metal" straws" (which fit in stockings I might add). We have several of different colors from various water bottles over the years. Plus DD got metal ones for Christmas from a school friend last year because hers were always getting chipped on top. They were a big hit.). Anyway - we sometimes use those now in our tall glasses -- they are easy to identify the owner of each glass, and they get put in the dishwasher each night then back in the cabinet -- so they have a "home" and we aren't pulling out more glasses than we need. (I still use my metal water bottle though -- which I love).

Miss JoDee -- Good job on those taxes! I finally just burned some checkbooks from 2005 or so. :) I have some old class notes too - -the ones on the history and art of Europe from a study-abroad in college. I just couldn't part with them. I'm going to scan them into a pdf and put them in Evernote.

Reactions: Holiday_Mom

Cindylouwho

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
Also -- Moved some furniture around in the office (because we have some antique furniture coming in the door from grandpas's house) and pulled down all the clutter. Decided to tear down everything in our office bookcase (a lot of office supplies) and instead move DH's book collection into that bookcase (he is rather attached to hardcovers and the collection been greatly whittled down). Then did this:

• Put all the office supplies in a drawer where they were't visible.
  • Arranged the decor around the books on the bookcase and ONLY used nice stuff in the bookcase.
  • Dusted everything top to bottom.
  • Put the printer on the bottom shelf of the bookcase so it wasn't visible on the desk.
  • Threw a rug onto the floor in there -- enormous difference!
  • And got rid of one of the chairs in there since there are rarely 2 of us in the office at the same time - which opened up a lot of space.

Wow! What a difference - it kinda feels like a library in there now!! And all this took a little over an hour. (And a few days to think of it).

(Now for the paper-- most of which will have to wait til January.)

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
Finally went through several more boxes that were in the shed and the garage and purged most of it. A lot of it was from when we moved in 3 years ago and couldn't decided what I wanted to do with the stuff . Well after 3 years of not being used most its going ...going .. gonna be gone. I kept a few keepsakes but the rest either went into the trash or the donation pile. So far I have a trash bag and 2 boxes full of things being donated next week. I am hoping to be able to go through a few more boxes this weekend and do the same thing.

Cindylouwho

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
Minta -- The shed and the garage: High five! I'm eyeing mine every day.

Reactions: Minta

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
Minta -- The shed and the garage: High five! I'm eyeing mine every day.
Thanks .. I am so tired of it all so out the door its going. I figured if I keep going at the pace I am by spring the everything will either have it's place here or someplace else.