Choosing a Planner 2020

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Gingerbug

Administrator
MHH Admin
Oct 9, 2007
Missouri, USA
I think choosing the right planner is difficult. Now that I'm retired my planner plays a different role than it used to. I've played around with several different styles over the past few years but I always come back to the Happy Planner as my favorite. I like the classic size and the mini. I used the Big one year but it was really almost too big for my needs. Technically I don't "need" the mini and sometimes syncing them is a pain but I also like the smaller size to slip in my purse.
Does anyone else use a Happy Planner? These are the styles I picked out for 2019.

2019 Planners.jpg

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
I had a Happy Planner a couple years ago and then I had trouble finding refillable calendar pages so I could reuse it this year so I ended up not having a planner this year. I did like it though, but I got caught up in "decorating" the weeks and found that to be stressful for me. I am still part of a couple FB groups for the Happy Planner though. I wouldn't mind using it again if I could find calendar pages for it. I have the classic size.

For 2019 I ordered a planner from Blue Sky, recommended by a friend, and I was able to customize the cover and some other characteristics about it for a very reasonable price.

Gingerbug

Administrator
MHH Admin
Oct 9, 2007
Missouri, USA
I know what you mean with the stress over decorating...that happens to be too at times. I didn't
bother trying to find refills. I just used a 50 percent off coupon and bought a new one at Michaels. Pretty reasonable price over all. I like them better than spiral bound because they lay flat.

Reactions: MrsSoup

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
We don't have a Michael's or Hobby Lobby on the island unfortunately. I'm pretty limited here. :( I will probably go back to it eventually because I did like it. I do have trouble keeping up with a planner so i'm hoping in 2019 I can stick with it.

Miss JoDee

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Apr 22, 2011
Gurnee, IL
I have a planner from this year that I didn't "use up" so I am going to change the dates and continue using it. I not in the habit of using one so am hoping ot learn a lot about how from my friends here.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
After searching for a few weeks I finally I found a planner that I am happy with. It is a plain black 6 ring binder type that I have never used before. This is my daily and Christmas planner and had a lot of pages for everything I need. I hope that I can get refills for it next year, if not I will purchase a new one.

Lori K

Premiere Member
Nov 13, 2018
Illinois
Day-Timer Coastlines, 2 pages per week, supplemented with tabs, half-sheet task lists, and additional pages for notes, goals, etc. Am trying to use the task lists for bullet tracking, just need to build it into habit.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Sat and set up my planner. I am happy with it and I think it will suit my needs. Plenty of room on the weekly pages for notes, and plenty of spare pages as well.
Not sure how well the pages will last around the rings, not sure if they will start to tear. time will tell.

Reactions: Gingerbug

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
I use a Franklin planner. 2 pages per week in a ring binder. It's 8.5 by 11 inches in size without any fancy design. The binder is like a brief case. It has handles that pull our of the sides so is easy to travel with for DD's appointments. I records every thing I can in it. Staff hours, how DD is doing, even specials at the grocery store. Coupons. lol

For DD I have colored tabs to mark appointments. Each Dr or Hospital has a color. I have a page at the end of the year that peaks out so we know what each color is assigned.

I have used a smaller one which I liked a lot but now with staff her it needs to be bigger. This is the first year I put in book markers for each month.
IMG_2014.jpg

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Diedra, my new planner is similar. Not too fancy but very functional. I like the monthly tabs on yours. A great idea.

Reactions: Ahorsesoul

Gingerbug

Administrator
MHH Admin
Oct 9, 2007
Missouri, USA
That's a great planner if you have a lot of appointments. I've struggled since I retired because I don't have lots (some weeks maybe but not generally). I use the top section for appointments and the middle for daily to-dos and the bottom for routines and menu. I even track my meds in my planner to remind myself to take them. That's why I have the little one too so it can go with me to appointments and meetings and not have my whole world in it for everyone to see.

Reactions: Ahorsesoul

Rose94

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ontario Canadaa
I looked at those happy planners last year and again this year for next and to me they look like a lot of work so I passed on them.
Purchased a simple planner—spiral Franklin planner with two pages per week. One side with the dates of the week for appointments and the other side a todo list for the week.

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
I always seem to go with the Amy Knapp planner. I've tried others and always come back to it. The only thing I don't like is that it's 18 months. I sort of wish it were only 12, because I don't use six months of it. I find the Happy Planner overwhelming. If I were more of a scrapbooker, I might like it, but....I'm not. :( I do buy stickers and do some decorating in mine, though. Last year, I found some pockets at Lifeway bookstore that will snap into my Amy Knapp planner and have really liked having them. I had to duct tape one of the pockets because it's paper and wore out at the edges...gotta love duct tape!

Gingerbug

Administrator
MHH Admin
Oct 9, 2007
Missouri, USA
I totally get the part about the decorating of the Happy Planner. I've used other planners also but I like the space in the Happy Planner...not for just decorating but for different aspects of my life..

tracking water intake
menu planning
to do lists etc

so I use it a little differently than just for calendar stuff. BUt with that being said its definitely not for everyone. The most inportant thing is to find the planner that fits your needs and USE it....thre have been a few weeks when I ignored my planner and it really did affect my productivity and organization. This year when I "decorate" my planner I am doing it a month at a time. That way I dont get caught up in the decorating and I have the whole month laid out.

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
I use a Weekly/Monthly July-June planner by Blue Sky. I prefer this set up over the Jan.-Dec planner. As an educator, my mind tends to run on a year being Sept.-Aug. I used those planners for years but I was so rushed with back to school. I was thrilled when I found the July-June planners. It is a much more quieter time for me to transfer information. Now if only I could find a July-June wall calendar.

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
I use a Weekly/Monthly July-June planner by Blue Sky. I prefer this set up over the Jan.-Dec planner. As an educator, my mind tends to run on a year being Sept.-Aug. I used those planners for years but I was so rushed with back to school. I was thrilled when I found the July-June planners. It is a much more quieter time for me to transfer information. Now if only I could find a July-June wall calendar.

Good to know they also do the year that way! I chose the regular calendar year from Blue Sky (Jan-Dec) for now, but once I start teaching I may do exactly what you do to better lay out my year. Thanks for the info!

Reactions: Holiday_Mom

snowqueen

Premiere Member
Nov 1, 2007
Vermont
I had a Happy Planner a couple years ago and then I had trouble finding refillable calendar pages so I could reuse it this year so I ended up not having a planner this year. I did like it though, but I got caught up in "decorating" the weeks and found that to be stressful for me. I am still part of a couple FB groups for the Happy Planner though. I wouldn't mind using it again if I could find calendar pages for it. I have the classic size.

For 2019 I ordered a planner from Blue Sky, recommended by a friend, and I was able to customize the cover and some other characteristics about it for a very reasonable price.
I find everything in Hobby Lobby. Michaels and Joanns has some stuff also for the Happy planner but I found the most stuff in Hobby Lobby

Gingerbug

Administrator
MHH Admin
Oct 9, 2007
Missouri, USA
The other thing about Happy Planners is if you have the punch you can just make your own pages. Currently, in the back of my planner, I put in a weight loss section. That way I can keep my info all in one place but don't have to list weight and other personal info on the monthly/weekly pages.

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
I find everything in Hobby Lobby. Michaels and Joanns has some stuff also for the Happy planner but I found the most stuff in Hobby Lobby

We don't have any of those stores on the island and the shipping is outrageous. :( I'll have to wait until we move back to the mainland before I pick up my Happy Planner again.

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
As an educator, my mind tends to run on a year being Sept.-Aug.
Funny how educators' minds run from September to August! We're all teachers (both sisters, my dad was, DH, DS, DDIL, and myself). We all say that everyone knows the new year starts in September!

Reactions: Miss JoDee