19 in 19

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Gingerbug

Administrator
MHH Admin
Oct 9, 2007
Missouri, USA
I've tried this a couple of years without being too successful but I think I will try again in 2019. The premise is to read 19 books in 2019 but to also include different genres so you are stretching your reading. So you have to read different ones in different genres to count. You decide 19 in 19 different genres or set the rule to say no more than two in each of 10 genres or some other combo that works. Obviously, you will read more than that in your favorite categories but this encourages you to stretch and try something different.

Possible genres:

Fiction:
Action/Adventure
Alternate History
Crime
Drama
Fairy Tale
Fantasy
Historical fiction
Horror
Mystery
Paranormal Romance
Poetry
Political thriller
Romance
Science Fiction
Suspense
Thriller
Young Adult

NonFiction:
Autobiography
Biography
Diary
Health
History
Journal
Memoir
Prayer
Spiritual
Self Help
Travel
True Crime

I'd love to have some people join in on the fun! Pick your January book!!

Reactions: luludou and Minta

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
This is one of my goal for the New Year. I was going to pick 10 books but I suppose I could challenge myself and do 19.
I am hoping to get the new book by Michelle Obama for Christmas so that will be the first book of the year.

Reactions: Minta and Gingerbug

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
I remember doing this before! I might try it again. I tend to stick to the same genres all the time so it wouldn't hurt me to branch out.

Reactions: Minta and Gingerbug

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
Awesome idea..... Think its time to get my library card out and start going back to library a couple times a month to get some books.

Reactions: Gingerbug

Lori K

Premiere Member
Nov 13, 2018
Illinois
I used to read a LOT, but lost my focus after my husband passed and have had a difficult time regaining it. But, it's starting to come back ... just need to make time to read. 19 books might be pushing it, but my goal for 2019 is one book per month. Will probably stick to my favorite authors, at least initially. While on vacation last month, I started Dorothea Benton Frank's All Summer Long. But my e-book expired before I got too far into it. I think that will be my first of the New Year -- finish one I started (and will probably need to re-read the first few chapters). Hope this is OK for the challenge.

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
Lori- What do you read your ebooks on? I discovered a trick to keep them longer if being read on a Nook and i'm sure it would work for a Kindle as well. I just disconnect my Nook from wi-fi and then the book stays there. Once i'm done reading, I reconnect to wi-fi.

Lori K

Premiere Member
Nov 13, 2018
Illinois
Lori- What do you read your ebooks on? I discovered a trick to keep them longer if being read on a Nook and i'm sure it would work for a Kindle as well. I just disconnect my Nook from wi-fi and then the book stays there. Once i'm done reading, I reconnect to wi-fi.

I use an Amazon Fire tablet, and books checked out from my local library. They have, I believe, a 3-week loan period, with no renewal option (that I've been able to locate, and at least for a subsequent loan period). I've sometimes been able to check out again after some time has passed and I've deleted the book from my check-out history. The limited loan period is helping me get back on track with reading -- a goal I have for 2019. :)

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
I had a 37 book challenge for 2018 (on Goodreads), because my dd had picked 36 as her goal :D.

Right now I am at 147% of the challenge complete :) I think I've got 50 Something books read. Way more than I thought! The challenge for me would be to add more genres. I pretty much read the same genres, would be nice to try Something else.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Lori, sorry to hear that your DH has passed.
I need to just put down the electronics at night before going to bed. I find reading much more soothing.

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
I read more in summer (no tv outside!) but mostly I read while walking on the threadmill machine and ellyptic machine.. makes gym less boring.. don't like gym.

Gingerbug

Administrator
MHH Admin
Oct 9, 2007
Missouri, USA
Book 1.jpg

I've selected my January book....I've had this book for a while and really want to get back into meditation and yoga. This book could fall into the Self Help category or Spiritual. I guess I'll see what other books I read and then decide which of those two categories to use for this one! This is a free book that I won at an event and its been on my bookshelf for three months!

Reactions: luludou and MrsSoup

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
That book sounds great Gingerbug. I've recently gotten one from Gretchen Reuben, I think I'll add that to my January month.

Lori K

Premiere Member
Nov 13, 2018
Illinois
Lori, sorry to hear that your DH has passed.
I need to just put down the electronics at night before going to bed. I find reading much more soothing.
Thank you so much! I am nearing the 5 year mark. Each day gets easier, but holidays are difficult. All I can do is work toward moving forward. :)

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Thank you so much! I am nearing the 5 year mark. Each day gets easier, but holidays are difficult. All I can do is work toward moving forward. :)
We come from all different backgrounds here and we all have a story. The thing is that we are always here to support each other. Lean on us when things get tough.
Wishing you a very Merry Christmas.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
I got 3 books for Christmas. The Michelle Obama memoir, a book about Oprah Winfrey and a small paperback in my stocking. Looking forward to starting reading very soon.

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
I have so much Barnes and Noble money right now because I hoard it and I get gift cards for my birthday and Christmas every year, so i'm looking forward to finding the perfect book to purchase to start in January!

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
1/19. Health
Quick Keto by Martina Slajerova.

Last edited:

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
1/19 Health
Mieux dormir pour mieux vivre, Vera Smayan
On overview of sleeping

Lori K

Premiere Member
Nov 13, 2018
Illinois
1/19 "Girl, Wash your Face: Stop Believing the Lies About who You Are So You Can Become Who You Were Meant to Be," by Rahel Hollis. This is a Christmas gift from my daughter, who has been reading it, and she thought it might be good for us to read it together. Love it!

Reactions: luludou and MrsSoup

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
1/19 "Girl, Wash your Face: Stop Believing the Lies About who You Are So You Can Become Who You Were Meant to Be," by Rahel Hollis. This is a Christmas gift from my daughter, who has been reading it, and she thought it might be good for us to read it together. Love it!

Loved this book! She has a new one coming out in March called Girl, Stop Apologizing.