Nailed It 2018...

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
So have you seen the show called "Nailed It"? Where people really go way off the mark on trying to recreate recipes?

I haven't actually but you get the idea - sometimes we try to make something and it just. doesn't. work.

I personally just have to laugh and channel my inner Elsa ("let it go!")

For example, I attempted a recipe called Lemon Meltaways - the recipe was all scientific - you used Tapioca Starch in place of some of the flour - you used organic powdered sugar that was tapioca based, etc. etc. blah blah blah.

Dough would NOT come together. So I added butter. Still crumbs, no dough. So I added 1 T of lemon juice. Eureka - dough! Shaped, wrapped and chilled the time called for.

Sliced and baked.

Ended up with the tastiest pile of lemony crumbs you've ever seen. These things literally disintegrated when touched - didn't matter whether I let them cool or not.

So I sprinkled the crumbs with powdered sugar and ate them with a fork right off the cookie sheet. Before tossing the rest of the dough in the trash!

So disappointing!!!!

Anyone else have a similar story to share? o_O

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
As part of our baking this year we decided to make a salted caramel cheesecake. We followed the recipe to the letter and it was a disaster. the biscuit base was too thick and we could hardly cut it, the filling did not set and oozed it's way off the plate......the caramel topping was quite nice. There was nothing we could do to restore it and it ended up in the bin. I am glad that we tried it in the middle of the year as it was potentially going to be a Christmas dessert.

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Whew! Glad you did a test run too! I just have not had any luck with cheesecakes that use anything other than a graham cracker crust - I will just swap the recipe's crust out for one of my own tried and true ones now because I know it's going to be trouble - lol

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
I had a few cookie recipes turn out that way this year and they are the ones I typically use. For instance, the home made gingerbread dough was so darn sticky and I was on a time crunch that day. Instead of trying to make gingerbread people, I decided to roll out the whole batch on an edge cookie sheet and make it like a gingerbread. I sprinkled it with confectioner's sugar after baking. It was good enough for us. I then made gingerbread cookies using the packaged gingerbread cookie dry mix from the grocery store.

I really was baffled why I was having issues but I think I might know now. My daughters put together the dry mix. I think two things happened. One was that as the mix was being put together, they lost count of how much flour/sugar was being put in. The other was they may have used a recipe from one book and I used the recipe from another book. Thus, things didn't turn out the way I was expecting.

The take away from my experience is to write the name of the cookbook and page number of the recipe that is being used to make the dry mix. They bags already have the name of the cookie on it.

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
Sorry it didn't work out right. :( My noodles that I make every year have been exceptionally sticky here (this year and last) no matter how much flour I add. I made them at Thanksgiving and again last night. They were a huge pain to get off whatever surface I rolled them out on and into the pot even though at Thanksgiving I rolled them onto the countertop with lots of flour underneath and on top of the dough and last night I put them on parchment on a cookie sheet with flour. Might be the humidity here but I seem to recall they are always somewhat more sticky than I want them to be. Super frustrating!

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
My recipes for Banana Bread and Cranberry bread are from my Aunt. I remember them from when I was in grade school. I have been making them since I married. Even when I went gluten free I have made them. This year the banana bread bubbled out of the pans and the middle sunk almost to the bottom of the pan. The cranberry one didn't cook in the middle. It was gummy and fell in the middle. I decided the baking mix I use, Pamela's Baking and Pancake Mix must have changed their mix. I'll be looking for different flours and recipes during this year.

Myron's Mom

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ohio
Tonight I decided to use up some of my leftover holiday ingredients. I've never made oatmeal bread before but I had everything here including a few dried cranberries and some currents. I must have over proofed if because it sunk in the middle. Actually it looks like a giant pot hole according to my husband. I followed the directions exactly except for decreasing the salt ( and I'm glad it did) and using a cranberry/current combination. I questioned the raising directions and went back an re read them. I think I should have trusted my own judgement. It taste good- but looks awful and a little (ok a lot!) dense in the middle.

Reactions: AuntJamelle

DahliaDoll

Premiere Member
Oct 15, 2007
Ended up with the tastiest pile of lemony crumbs you've ever seen. These things literally disintegrated when touched - didn't matter whether I let them cool or not.

So I sprinkled the crumbs with powdered sugar and ate them with a fork right off the cookie sheet. Before tossing the rest of the dough in the trash!
Sounds like your tasty crumbs may have been delicious sprinkled over ice cream!

This is an interesting thread. I try to stick to tried-and-true for the holidays. If we don't have our "favorites" we end up missing them.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Sounds like your tasty crumbs may have been delicious sprinkled over ice cream!

This is an interesting thread. I try to stick to tried-and-true for the holidays. If we don't have our "favorites" we end up missing them.
We are the same here. Over the years I have tried to change up the menu a little but we don't want to lose our favourites. The only thing we shake up a little is the deserts. We always have hot fruit pudding and then a choice of 2 others.