Word of the Year 2019

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Pam Spaur

Premiere Member
Jul 17, 2008
Muncie, IN
I have chosen the word PEACE. I need peace in my life to get eliminate certain emotions and feelings in my life. I am so tired of all the crap going on, and I need God's peace in my heart if I am to grow as a person and a Christian.

Reactions: Holiday_Mom

Myron's Mom

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ohio
I liked my word last year, Refresh. The LCs kept saying all year tha t they could see I was doing well with refreshing my life by putting the back in my life.

I’m thinking of doing another me type word in 2019.
Something about appearance. I’ve become rather dull in this department. When Dh and I first met I didn’t own a pair of jeans or a T-shirt. Now that’s about all I wear. So I think I’ll spice up my wardrobe. And maybe some make up if I can fin something I like that is gluten free.

I am also trying to grow out my hair. No more perms. Do not want the chemicals. I have totally straight hair with very little body so once it grows a little more I’ll get a trim and further along in the year decide what style I’d like. Will be something fairly long. I think I’ll have the ladies at the salon all give me their ideas.
I've been growing out my hair for the last year and a half. I stopped coloring mine at the same time. I feel free if that makes sense. I decided I didn't need to hide my gray hair and I actually like it now. It's still poker straight and thin but with the right products I can fix it pretty nice. I do get a trim every 6-7 weeks just to keep it nice - mine was almost "boy" short.

I've never had a word before so this is new for me. I did the dayspring's quiz. It came up with "delight". I'm not sure why and it's not in the direction I was thinking. So I'm going to ponder some more.....

Lana

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Southern Illinois
Last year I did not choose a word, since the past years I haven't really followed through with my choice. I think I will try this year again and see where I get. The word I am choosing is:

Wholehearted

1: completely and sincerely devoted, determined, or enthusiastic wholehearted student of social problems

2: marked by complete earnest commitment : free from all reserve or hesitation gave the proposal wholehearted approval

The definitions really say what I need to do in so many areas of my life. Completely, sincerely devoted, determined, with total commitment!
I need to establish time for myself, Allen and I, and then be there for my family
Need to make more time getting my house, yard and sheds back into shape. Use to take such pride and seems I am just glad the basics get done now. No extras done.
Also, back to watching what we really buy. Do we need it?
Lord is there for me. Give it all to the Lord in prayer!

Last edited:

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
I've been growing out my hair for the last year and a half. I stopped coloring mine at the same time. I feel free if that makes sense. I decided I didn't need to hide my gray hair and I actually like it now. It's still poker straight and thin but with the right products I can fix it pretty nice. I do get a trim every 6-7 weeks just to keep it nice - mine was almost "boy" short.

I've never had a word before so this is new for me. I did the dayspring's quiz. It came up with "delight". I'm not sure why and it's not in the direction I was thinking. So I'm going to ponder some more.....
Maybe use Free. It could mean a lot of things including delightful. Free to be Me.

cmerth

Premiere Member
Dec 19, 2007
thetilteditalian.com
My word is elegance. I want to find ways to bring more elegance into my life. I have been reading about living like the French... it has inspired me.
Slow down and enjoy a sunset/sunrise... the birds at the feeder.

I want to make my home more elegant. I am known for being clumsy... I want to do more yoga and find a little more control and walk with better posture and "elegance". I started by buying a classy cane. If I have to use one it might as well be elegant and classy rather than "medical" and sterile.

I want to leave the house looking classy and put together so that my guys are proud to be around me.

Have nice things /organized things... even if they only cost me a few dollars at the thrift store.... take care of them better so that they last longer.

Read more... educate myself so that in conversations I have something to add.

Choose quality over quantity. Have less things but what I have is nice and well quality. (hope that makes sense).

I have always been fascinated with women like Audrey Hepburn, Grace Kelly, Sophia Loren, Princess Diane, and Katherine Hepburn. They all seemed to exude one thing.... elegance.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Some great words here.
Myron’s mom, I had never chosen a word until I joined MHH. To me it just makes sense. I hope you find a word that you like.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Found it! It's a phrase, not a word but it speaks to me:

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly - Unknown

Lucie, love it.

Reactions: luludou

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
I didn't do quite as well as I wanted with my word for 2018, but I think I did make some progress.

I'm still working on a word for 2019. Too much of a whirlwind going on trying to get DD off to California. It all happened within about 3 weeks from the time she found out until she had to leave, along with Christmas, 2 funerals, and the death of a dear friend's mom. Didn't get to go to the funeral because it was the day we had to leave to go to Dallas.

Reactions: Holiday_Mom

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
If I have to use one it might as well be elegant and classy rather than "medical" and sterile.

I don't know why, but this brought tears to my eyes. To know that this is such a necessity in your life, but that you're just now getting yourself something that makes you feel better just touched me. (((Hugs)))

Reactions: sweetpumkinpye

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
My word is elegance. I want to find ways to bring more elegance into my life. I have been reading about living like the French... it has inspired me. .

Love this word. What book did you read? I read one on the Danish life style and then the Swedish Death Cleaning. I thought both were very good.

The year of living Danishly by Helen Russell
The Gentle Are of Swedish Death Cleaning by Margareta Magnusson

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Diedra will add those books to my reading list.

I read the Hygge one by Mike Weir and really liked it.

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
I just ordered The Little Book of Hygge: Danish Secrets to Happy Living by Meik Wiking. Super excited to get it!

Reactions: luludou

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Am going to see if my library has it. It certainly sounds interesting

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
My students are at lunch, so......

I think I've decided on my word - Confidence.

- to trust God's purposes and timing in my life
- in my abilities
- to recognize and accept my life as it currently is, when I can do nothing about it
- to recognize the changes I do need to make
- to face and make the changes I can make
- to learn new things
- to finish this school year strongly without hating every day that I come (I'm sorry...my love of teaching is just gone and this makes me sad)
- to take care of myself
- to embrace the changes that are coming after I retire