February 2019 Declutter Club

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Miss JoDee

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Apr 22, 2011
Gurnee, IL
I was able to finish up the last of my first round of decluttering downstairs. I do have a basket of papers to go through while watching TV but shouldn't take long. One file cabinet is stuffed with the kids school papers and will get boxed and given to them and the other needs to be organized but I have not decided how I want to organized. I will look around the internet for ideas. I was able to get rid of a lot of tear files as I now have pinterest.

Moving on to the living room declutter. I am giving myself a week per room and should have 2nd round of each room done by spring. I will deep clean the rooms as I go which is why I am giving it a week.

Reactions: Lana

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
I need to focus on decluttering my file cabinet this month. I always go through the kid's files before the school year starts to make room but their files already seem exceptionally full so i'm wondering if I got to it before school started this year. I always save the certificates at the end of the year in the file, as well as report cards and move any artwork that I feel like I have to keep to another location, so it's relatively small and cleaned up. There is a lot of other "stuff" in the filing cabinet as well that needs to be sorted through again like manuals and old taxes and random files that might not be valid or needed any longer. I also may need to create new files to make things more efficient.

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
I need to declutter my recipe books. LC 22 said she would out colored sticker on my recipes to match their section divider color. I need to toss any old recipes I no longer want or haven’t tried. It’s not like I’ll ever run out of recipes I find online.

I do have one box ready for donation waiting in the garage. DD found a bracelet in her room so that went into the box.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
This week I will do a bit of decluttering. Not sure what yet. Need to finish the bedside tables in my room.
the areas that really need doing are,
Linen cupboard
pantry
dining room hutch
craft supplies
random papers

Gingerbug

Administrator
MHH Admin
Oct 9, 2007
Missouri, USA
With a major back issue that has kept me, chair and bed bound (just getting back on my feet) I haven't succeeded in my decluttering goals. For February I am going to focus on small areas as being on my feet too long is still impossible but I can handle a draw or one small spot at a time!!

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
One bag of winter items is going to a family today. :)

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Ginger, sorry to hear that you have been unwell. Seems that your goal of sitting and doing a drawer at a time is a sensible one.
Hope that you are feeling well soon.

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Yesterday dd was here so we decluttered some papers in her room and lots got shredded. A big bag of purses is being given away (she kept one) and a few stuffed animals She got rid of old bday cards too.. and found $135 in there!

Reactions: Holiday_Mom

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
I went through my closet this morning and pulled out some dresses and other clothing that I no longer wear. Then I moved on to my jewelry box and pulled out quite a bit to part with. I also pulled out two snowglobes from the dresser that have not been displayed but just keep moving with us from place to place, time for them to go. I will go through more stuff as well this month and pare down! But adding to the pile feels good.

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
I went through two small cabinets, a bin and two drawers. I put some more items into the donation box and other things into the trash.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Jess, I agree that adding to the stuff that is out if the house is a good thing.
The older I get the simpler I would like things to be. Still a work in progress but much better here.

Miss JoDee

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Apr 22, 2011
Gurnee, IL
I am still dealing with paper! Where does it come from and where does it hide? I think I have it where I need it now I just have to set up a filing system which may be a little bit DH and I decided to get some painting in the room we have left. I are aiming for the end of March to complete it, shhh don't tell DH.
Getting there step by step.:)

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Jody. little steps will get you there. We are all doing well with the decluttering. I need to finish my bedside tables and now that my drawers are tidy I would like to line them. I should have done it earlier but did not have the lining paper.
Will do the pantry and fridge today. The pantry is so in need of a good clean out.

Miss JoDee

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Apr 22, 2011
Gurnee, IL
now that my drawers are tidy I would like to line them. I should have done it earlier but did not have the lining paper.[/QUOTE

Katrina, I would have use brown grocery bags or warpping paper to line the drawers rather than have to empty the drawers again. Hindsight is foresight. You are doing a great job taking care of your home.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Thanks Jody. Yes, I should have lined the drawers while they were empty but never gave it a thought. Mum gave me some beautiful lining papers for my birthday and now want to use them as I think they will further "spark joy". The beauty is that since I did a major declutter my drawers are half empty so should not take too long to do.

Reactions: Miss JoDee

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Got the pantry done today. Am ashamed to say that I threw out quite a bit. I tend to be a food hoarder, I think it stems from when DH and I were newly married and found it hard to make ends meet. We were never starving but there were times that we did not eat. I tend to store food but never eat some of it before the use by date. That is going to have to change. Will need to go back to meal planning so that I can use things up before it goes bad. Life lessons.

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
Jody, I laughed when I read your comment on paper. I was dealing with paper last month.

Katrina, I'm learning lots of life lessons in my basement. Sigh... I have multiples of things because I couldn't find it in the basement. I went out and bought more and didn't put it back where it belonged. Thus it got lost in the mess. I went out and bought more, etc.

I sorted through the St. Valentine's Decor, one shelf and a box. I kept some items, added others to the donation box and then tossed the rest. I feel like giving up at times because I still have a lot to still do. I just keep saying "Slow and steady wins the race."

Reactions: Lana and luludou