st. patricks day 2019

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

housewife2

Premiere Member
Aug 3, 2008
va
i just decorated my small tree for st pattys day. hung out the wreath and put up my flag

Reactions: Ahorsesoul

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
I will get out my kitchen St Patty's day towel. lol

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
I will take my stuff out soon too. I made a clothesline last year and a top hot for the mantle.

Lori K

Premiere Member
Nov 13, 2018
Illinois
Having lived 35 years in Chicago's far south side, the Southside Irish Parade marched down Western Avenue less than 2 blocks from my home (and 2 doors from my brother-in-law's home) for many years. So, St. Patrick's Day has been an important part of my family's heritage and celebrations for many, many years -- first, at my brother-in-law's home and, after he moved, then at ours. It was an annual party that started mid-morning and continued until after 9:00 PM. Now that I've moved to the suburbs, the tradition continues (though not as long). When the 1st of March hits, the shamrock-decorated wreath will go up on the door, finger-, hand, and dish towels will come out, as will some artwork and decorative items, and the street banner than hung on Western Ave. in memory of my husband will be hung. I'll host a group of family and friends on St. Patrick's Day for appetizers, corned beef, assorted salads, and desserts, and we'll raise a glass or two in honor of our heritage, while listening to Irish music in the background. And, who knows, we may even start a parade of our own through the neighborhood -- depending on the amount of Guinness, Jamesons, and Baileys that's consumed.

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
Thanks Lori, You reminded me to start making my corned beef! I'll pull out my recipe now.

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
I'll put up the extra decorations on March 1st.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
And, who knows, we may even start a parade of our own through the neighborhood -- depending on the amount of Guinness, Jamesons, and Baileys that's consumed.

Oh Lori...this cracked me up.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
St Patrick's day is one that slides under the radar a bit here. Have never really celebrated this holiday. I have gone straight to decorating for Autumn which starts for us on March 1st.

teachermomof2

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Oct 27, 2007
PA
I'll put up wreaths on the doors and shamrocks in the windows on March 1st. That's about the extent of our celebrations because M has competitions each year on that weekend.

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
If the whole house wasn't upside-down would love to have people over for St-Pat's…. so tired of the cold and snow and being stuck in the house.

Myron's Mom

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ohio
I'm skipping st pats and moving on to spring and Easter. I hope to finish up today.

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
Scheduled my St. Patty's Day dinner this year. It's been awhile, so I'm excited to have some friends over. Having my grandaughters birthday fall on St. patrick's day has kinda thrown our old traditions to the side. I never know if we'll have a birthday party to go to or not. This year it falls on a Saturday so they'll have a party that day for sure and we'll have our dinner on Sunday.

Reactions: Holiday_Mom

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
St Patrick's day is one that slides under the radar a bit here. Have never really celebrated this holiday. I have gone straight to decorating for Autumn which starts for us on March 1st.

I was thinking about how our seasons are different in the Northern and Southern hemisphere and how I equate holidays with certain seasons and colors. It is interesting how things are marketed here. For instance, spring is shamrocks, bunnies, chicks, flowers and pastel colors all because of St. Patrick's Day and Easter. You're entering Autumn with Easter around the corner. How are things marketed in Australia for the blend of that season and holiday?

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Have my wreaths up and tablecloth on the dining table! Actually just took down all the greenery and white lights I left up after Christmas. Clean slate time! Things will be pretty basic until Easter time approaches!

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
We've been invited to an Eat, Drink and Be Irish party on the 16th. :)

As of right now I am planning to make a Shepherd's Pie. But instead of ground beef I'm going to make one of my "go to" crockpot roasts - shred that meat and use it in the pie filling. I'll top with PW Mashed Potatoes and then with shredded cheese - Sharp Cheddar and an Irish cheese of some kind.

And I'm going to make a Bailey's Chocolate Cheesecake too. Because, well, I can!!!

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
I got the shamrocks out and the wreath up today!

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
Stopped in at the Dollar Tree yesterday and got all my cards purchased. Even signed and addressed them last night.