Freezer Sessions 2019...

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Myron's Mom

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ohio
Can I ask what size instapot everyone has? I've been trying to figure out what size if I do get one. It's just the 2 of us. (We do eat lots of leftovers). Decisions, decisions, lol.

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
I have a 6qt. General I feed 3 to 4 people with leftovers for the freezer lunches.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Following this still.
In the future there will be just DH and I but I think we will like to cook once and have a few meals leftover to freeze.
I need to look at the sizes to see what is the best for us

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
I have a 6 qt. Crock Pot and a 6 qt. Instant Pot for a family of 7.

I got my mom hooked on cooking in bulk and freezing now. She just did made double portions of two meals yesterday. She portions the food out for two and then froze it.

Reactions: Ahorsesoul

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
6 qt here too

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Mary, I did not realise that your family was so large....lovely.

I pulled out some lasagne from the freezer this morning for dinner tonight. Bliss not having to worry about meals.

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
I've gotten 4 more cheesecakes in the freezer (for upcoming school fundraiser donation) and a batch of Cheesy Beef Taquito Filling...

I feel like there is something else I am forgetting...which seems to be a chronic state for me today! lol

Myron's Mom

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ohio
Thanks ladies. I'm thinking 6 quart if I get one. Even though there is just 2 of us we both love the ability to pull a meal from the freezer. I'm always cooking extra. I may just wait until Black Friday. I don't know....... I had a bunch of kohls cash I needed to spend but they weren't on sale today - so I bought vaccum seal bags instead.
I made a big pan of stuffed shells we had some for dinner and I froze 4 meals for us.
I have everything to make croissants, just need to check my planner so I know I'll be home on baking day(I make them over 3 days). And I need to bake my cheese cake for easter and freeze.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Am about to do another freezer session with my mum...I am sort of hooked. I have a lot in the freezer at the moment but need more variety. Will be doing a beef and mushrooms and some chicken pot pies.

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Finished cheesecakes this weekend! An even dozen in the freezers now! Just in time for next weekend's fund raiser!

Have been trying to EMPTY the freezer - used up two boxes of breaded shrimp and two big bags of cooked shrimp this weekend. Getting all those cheesecakes out will make room too!

Coming up on strawberry and blueberry season - I'll need room for those for sure!

Want to get time to take a good inventory - throw out anything too old and get ready for the next wave of feeding the freezer!!!

Reactions: Holiday_Mom

housewife2

Premiere Member
Aug 3, 2008
va
im buying a small freezer so ill be able to make ahead dishes. freezer on the fridge just isnt enough.

Reactions: Holiday_Mom

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
Sometime in the next few weeks I want to make a batch of stuffed shells, chicken parm meatballs and turkey meatballs and flash freeze them, taco meat and sloppy joe mix and then froze them into single serve portions. I already have beef meatballs and hamburger patties in the freezer now. Between softball, band camps over the summer, my oldest getting a new job there will be days were we will not be able to eat together as a family so I want to make sure I have quick easy meal options available especially for the kids.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Minta, great idea to be preparing the freezer now for those busy days ahead.
I need to fully empty my big chest freezer and really sort it out. I think that there may be a few things lurking in there that either need using or tossing.

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
Minta, great idea to be preparing the freezer now for those busy days ahead.
I need to fully empty my big chest freezer and really sort it out. I think that there may be a few things lurking in there that either need using or tossing.

I try to do that every few months epically when the chest freezer is half empty and we do a big meat purchase.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
I try to do that every few months epically when the chest freezer is half empty and we do a big meat purchase.
I think now is a great time as most of the Summer stuff has gone, ice cream and fruit etc. Plus it is cool enough in the garage that I don't have to rush thinking that things will defrost.

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Ok, so holiday related freezer plans for 2019 are shaping up as follows:

- Cheesy Beef Taquito Filling (will use in puff pastry cups for Chr Dinner Party appetizer)
- Mini Bacon Pinwheels (Chr Dinner Party appetizer)
- PW Cheddar Puffs (Chr Dinner Party appetizer)
- Potato Skins (Chr Dinner Party appetizer)
- Beef & Blue Crockpot Roast (To use meat in Shephard's pie for Chr meal we host for BIL & sig others)
- Quadruple batch of PW Cinnamon Rolls - baked, iced and frozen (IF I have room in freezers - sometimes I just have to make fresh)

The BIG FOUR (i.e. will always need these for something during the holidays!)

- Cooked shredded Chicken
- Cooked, crumbled Ground Beef
- Cooked, crumbled pork sausage
- Cooked, crumbled bacon

Cookies (Will bake then freeze):

- Chunky Choc Gos (2 batches)
- PB Choc Swirl (2 batches)
- Vanilla Dipped Gingersnaps (1/2 batch)
- Kieeflees (1 batch)
- Sea Salt Butterscotch Pretzel Cookies (2 batches)
- Pecan Sandies (3 batches)
- Lemon Snowballs (2 batches)
- Browned Butter Salted Caramel Mocha Cookies (2 batches)

Possible Cookies - Time and tests allowing:

- Buttery Spritz Cookies
- Super Soft and Simple Classic Peanut Butter Blossoms
- Orange Chocolate Chip Ricotta Cookies

Last edited:
Reactions: luludou and PamelaG

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
Ok, AJ, seeing your list of Christmas foods all together and at this time of year, doesn't seem overwhelming. I usually put my list together in the fall but I'm wondering now if I should do this for the May Rudolph Day.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
I am generally excited about Christmas but seeing lists like this makes me even more excited. I can't wait to start on Christmas prep proper.