Prepping our kitchens for Holidays 2019...

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Has anyone else been getting an itch to prepare for the coming flurry in the kitchen?

We've been chatting on Feed the Freezer thread a bit about getting freezers cleaned up, contents used up and inventoried with upcoming holiday season in mind.

I'm trying to do the same in my pantry.

Also occurred to me that I needed to do the following:

- Go through spice drawer and refill bottles as needed from stock in pantry
- Inventory spices in pantry and mark down ones I need to replace/replenish
- Inventory things like parchment paper, foil, wax paper, foil pans, etc. and mark down items to purchase

I know the official cleaning plans haven't started yet. Just wondering if others have started to do anything here and there? If so, please share!!! :) Even if you are just thinking about it! LOL

Reactions: Minta and PamelaG

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
I do need to check out my parchment paper (know I need to refill since I just took the last one) and foil items. I did just clean, label and organize the spice drawer. I am starting on little things here and there. Nothing on a organized plan.
IMG_2993.jpg IMG_3162.jpg

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
ME!!!! I have been restocking my supply of foil, parchment paper and assorted sizes of tin pans but I still need to get more. I also started a master list of things I need to buy and how much to buy for my holiday baking.. Iie.. flour, sugar, baking powder, etc.

I have been trying to stay on top of wiping down the cabinets, inside and out but do plan on a real good deep cleaning sometime in the beginning of Nov during a day off from work.

I really need to work on decluttering the tops of my stand alone pantry cabinets and my bakers rack. Need to go through the junk drawer and purge some stuff. I have a shelf in the garage that I transfer some stuff to.

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
I Added it to my 'costco' list last Week.. foil , parchement, …. plastic plates, napkins, Tpaper, cleaning supplies, ...

I want to start deep-cleaning the kitchen as soon as it gets less hot! I have lots of purging I want to do (but will have to wait until dh is not there :rolleyes: ).

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
Yes, I have been looking at the kitchen and thinking of things. Part of me wants to do a deep clean now but the other part knows that I'm better off waiting until it comes up on Kitchen Week. I like the group motivation. :)

My girls did a lot of baking and cooking this summer. With school starting back soon, I do want to make a list of things that need to be replenished.
  • Baking: flour, sugar, brown sugar, powdered sugar, baking soda, baking powder, salt, chocolate chips, raisins, oatmeal, shortening, butter, vegetable oil, parchment paper
  • Cooking: olive oil, spices,
  • Lunch needs: sandwich bags, plastic wrap, foil, waxed paper, napkins, plastic utensils, small containers
Purchasing tip on parchment paper - Last year, after Christmas, I was shopping in Walmart and found Wilton brand parchment paper in a holiday box. It was marked 50% off.

Myron's Mom

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ohio
Me too! I’m good for paper products, foil etc. I’ll need to stock up on flour, sugars and vanilla. I’ll buy new baking powder and soda closer to baking time. My big purchase will be chocolate. The kind we love only comes in a 10 pound block so I’ll share with the cousins. I’ll order that after the weather starts to cool down.
My pantry is in need of help. I’ll straighten it up and next thing it’s a mess again. Not sure how to fix it- except it’s a small space and I cram a lot in there!

PamelaG

Staff member
Premiere Member
May 27, 2011
Washington, the Evergreen State
Yes, I have been looking at the kitchen and thinking of things. Part of me wants to do a deep clean now but the other part knows that I'm better off waiting until it comes up on Kitchen Week. I like the group motivation. :)

My girls did a lot of baking and cooking this summer. With school starting back soon, I do want to make a list of things that need to be replenished.
  • Baking: flour, sugar, brown sugar, powdered sugar, baking soda, baking powder, salt, chocolate chips, raisins, oatmeal, shortening, butter, vegetable oil, parchment paper
  • Cooking: olive oil, spices,
  • Lunch needs: sandwich bags, plastic wrap, foil, waxed paper, napkins, plastic utensils, small containers
Purchasing tip on parchment paper - Last year, after Christmas, I was shopping in Walmart and found Wilton brand parchment paper in a holiday box. It was marked 50% off.
After Christmas is definitely the time to buy any Christmas-themed Ziploc bags and plastic containers, cupcake liners, Kleenex boxes, paper towels, anything like that. Save them for the following year or use them just as they are. I picked up mini-loaf dishes (the individual pottery ones) at Michaels on sale one year - they were only $1 each regular price, but at 90% off, it made them 10 cents! I could give away the loaf and the dish as a hostess or neighbor gift.

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
Me too! I’m good for paper products, foil etc. I’ll need to stock up on flour, sugars and vanilla. I’ll buy new baking powder and soda closer to baking time. My big purchase will be chocolate. The kind we love only comes in a 10 pound block so I’ll share with the cousins. I’ll order that after the weather starts to cool down.
My pantry is in need of help. I’ll straighten it up and next thing it’s a mess again. Not sure how to fix it- except it’s a small space and I cram a lot in there!

Clear shoe boxes with lid are great at keeping smaller things together and they stack great. I also use assorted containers with screw on lids for flour, sugar, opened bags of chocolate chips, etc, and label each container.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
I am keen to get started. Most supplies are on a list and I am getting them week by week when I shop.
Spring cleaning will start soon, can hardly wait.

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Great tip on the clear boxes, Minta!

Excellent points, Pam and Mary, on the post holiday bargains when it comes to foil, paper, food wrap, etc. I never seem to find these treasures - but I always am looking!!!

I get my parchment paper at Sam's - two boxes, 205 ft each, for $11.28 total - I can't beat that!!!

500 ft of Heavy Duty aluminum foil is $23 - I've been doing that for a while now - the box lasts me a long time!

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Added a lot to the planner yesterday to pick up over the next few weeks.
Coconut is something we use a lot so that is on the list along with condensed milk and cooking chocolate. Almost every recipe calls for melted chocolate:)

I get my parchment paper at Sam's - two boxes, 205 ft each, for $11.28 total - I can't beat that!!!
That is a great price, I need some more baking paper so will add that to the list

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
I'm going to put an inventory check on my to-do list for tomorrow morning when I wake up. Thanks!

horsemama

MHH Member
Jun 22, 2011
This time of year I always get the 'stock up' feelings. It's time to take inventory and stock up the pantry. Most of my life we've always canned and froze what we could. Does anyone here can? It's a lot of work, but I'd like to do a little this year. But then I'll need to make room in the cupboards for that. Another job for my to do list!

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
horsemama - I used to can a LOT but haven't in the past couple of years. Life has been so busy between working full time, DS - his homework, taekwondo classes, etc., various projects and so on that I've let the garden go and this year I didn't even do containers on the deck :(

Maybe next year!!!!

I'd really like to grow and can green beans again!!! And make preserves of all types! And apple butter!! Applesauce! Asian Plum Sauce! Those are all my go to's for canning recipes!

horsemama

MHH Member
Jun 22, 2011
AuntJamelle,

Life sure gets in the way sometimes, doesn't it? I haven't canned much lately myself. This spring was sooo wet here, a lot of us simply gave up trying to put in a garden. But I'd like to can some things from the local farm stands. There's one just down the road from my work. Asian Plum Sauce sounds interesting! My go to's were always green beans, pie apples, applesauce, tomato juice, potatoes, and chili. I'm thinking of trying peaches.

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Mmmmm, peaches - I love canned peaches!

The Asian Plum Sauce is divine - I serve it as a dipping sauce for egg rolls. I am going to try and make it with apricots sometime because I think that would be lovely - and the acidity between the two fruits is supposed to be about the same. Between that and the apple cider vinegar in it I feel safe making that swap! Let me know if you want the recipe!

Do you make the applesauce out of the Blue book or a different recipe? Have you ever made a combined fruit applesauce? Like Apple-Cherry or Apple-Strawberry?

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
I make and can pie filling (cherry, apple, blueberry), jams (strawberry, peach, cherry berry), apple sauce and apple butter. Getting ready to do apple pie filling, apple sauce and apple butter. I am thinking about taking a day or 2 off from work just to can. Some years I can diced fruit like pears and peaches.

Reactions: AuntJamelle

horsemama

MHH Member
Jun 22, 2011
I 'd love the recipe! My applesauce recipe was handed down, not sure where it originated, maybe the Blue Book I'm not sure. I use golden delicious apples usually, but have mixed in some Jonathon a time or two. I fill a saucepan (about 8 inches diameter) with peeled and quartered apples, add 2 cups water and 2 cups sugar, cook til mixed to the consistency you like. You can decrease the sugar if you like it more tart. Been making it this way since I was a kid. Love it!

I have not tried mixing fruits but that would be fun to try!

Minta, how do the peaches turn out? I'm itching to try canning them.

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Minta - What do you use to thicken your pie fillings? How much headspace do you use? I canned a few batches a while back and use Clear Jel (special thickener that stands up to the heat of canning) You ended up with a thick canned pie filling like you buy from the store - ready to use right out of the jar - BUT the headspace called for was too little - I had major siphoning - jars still sealed though. :) If I did again I would leave at least 1.5" to 2" headspace - which seems crazy!

horsemama - I will look up that recipe for you. It's one of many from this cookbook that I've tried and loved!

https://www.amazon.com/Complete-Boo...small+batches&qid=1566912186&s=gateway&sr=8-4

I can't remember where I found my applesauce recipe BUT I can say that my technique is one I love - I have an attachment for my Kitchen Aide that makes it a snap. You wash the apples and then pop them in boiling water and cook until soft - no peeling or coring.

Then you slowly feed the softened apples through the attachment and the good apple goes into a bowl and all the "junk" comes out in a different spot on the machine and into a waste bowl. SO much easier!

In other kitchen prep musings...

I went through my master grocery list yesterday and marked all items I know I already have plenty of - like vanilla, some spices, etc.

Will start working in non-perishable items to my weekly grocery lists now. Time to start stocking up on King Arthur Flour for sure - need cocoa powder, chocolate chips, etc.

AND baking soda!!! Every last box I have JUST expired - ugh!

Reactions: Minta